Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

long_b wrote: »
    Can anyone comment on the signal reception for the z3c?
    I live in a marginal signal area.
    How marginal? Well my Note 2 has reception in most rooms whereas on the Note 3 the reception was so patchy that it had to go back.

I have great reception in work and at home. Travelled down to West Kerry couple weeks ago and didnt have any issues either. A call dropped on me in the car travelling through the midlands but sure even the radio goes a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭buachailldana

Hello good people, I've kind of decided that I would like to get a Z3 Compact.

Can anyone advise as to the best place (i.e. cheapest) to purchase one sim-free?

Many thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

New update came out recently, anyone noticing any improvements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

brevity wrote: »
    New update came out recently, anyone noticing any improvements?

Trying to download it now, but battery has to be above 50% to allow download. Even when connected.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

No update for me!

• Advertisement

Meteor. Got an alert to install via PC but wasnt in a position to do that. Today I was able to download via WiFi and then install it.

More detail here
    http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/12/11/new-update-23-0-1-a-5-77-rolling-for-xperia-z3-and-z3-compact/

Definitely makes notifications louder!

Meteor. Got an alert to install via PC but wasnt in a position to do that. Today I was able to download via WiFi and then install it.

More detail here
    http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/12/11/new-update-23-0-1-a-5-77-rolling-for-xperia-z3-and-z3-compact/

Just finished the update. Makes notifications MUCH louder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Lads I have a 1+1 I need to return and if I can get a refund I'm thinking of changing to the Z3 or Z2 is there much of a difference bar processor tweaks? I'm rather not break the bank for a Z3 if Z2 is the same really. Also camera is a big thing for me, is the 20MP actually impressive in low light? I had a 13MP on 1+1 and it was great during day but terrible in low light would like something decent.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

More detail here

I need a PC to install the update. No option for OTA update. What a load of b0ll0cks.

Lots of reports on XDA about bad battery drain after thr update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

No update for me. OTA or via PC.

G1032 wrote: »
    I need a PC to install the update. No option for OTA update. What a load of b0ll0cks.

Give it a day or so. It should allow you to update OTA

Just finished the update. Makes notifications MUCH louder!

It really does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

stoksyXL wrote: »
    No update for me. OTA or via PC.

None for me either,is this a carrier update?,i bought the phone sim free from amazon so i assume i will be getting the update too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

G1032 wrote: »
    Lots of reports on XDA about bad battery drain after thr update

I am getting a massive drain with Google Play services for some reason.

Daith wrote: »
    I am getting a massive drain with Google Play services for some reason.

I was getting that at times before the update.
    I updated via PC last night. I'll see how I get on today. After the update I cleared the cache so hopefully there'll be no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Anyone know a shop in Dublin where I can get Z3 screen replaced? Dropped my phone when a little bit pissed last weekend. Went into 2 shops but they couldn't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ok guys, no more messing about for me, it's time I use my Z3 Compact. I'm going to be setting it up over Christmas time when my phone will be somewhat quiet.

I was holding out for the release of CM12, but it looks like it's not happening. So would anyone be able to recommend a quick, easy way of getting this set up as clean as possible, so no bloat ware or unnecessary apps I don't need? I heard Google Now launcher recommended a few times so maybe I can try this too.

I just want a clean, simple phone with all the hardware functions as expected and as few bugs as possible that can be updated OTA in future without having to reinstall everything. I want to do a nice install once and hopefully that will be it until having to retire the phone.

Any quick guides would be very very much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Yeah that's what I heard, but I think there may be a way to just use the stock rom, while still being able to remove the bloat apps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Just go into the apps list and disable the ones you dont use. Thats what I do with my z3.

That's pretty much it.

Install the launcher to make it slightly more simple and you're away. Can't believe you left it this long!

What about rooting it and doing all that? I'd like to have mine rooted to make the most of some apps such as cerberus anti theft.

So I'd be happy with:

Rooted
    Free of bloatware
    updateable OTA
    simple android launcher
    all the while without losing quality of camera etc.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Has anyone done the OTA update and been happy? Or what release is good ?

My gf updated her z3 compact and says the battery is draining now. Possible fixes? or just wait for update?

cormie wrote: »
    Ok guys, no more messing about for me, it's time I use my Z3 Compact. I'm going to be setting it up over Christmas time when my phone will be somewhat quiet.

I was holding out for the release of CM12, but it looks like it's not happening. So would anyone be able to recommend a quick, easy way of getting this set up as clean as possible, so no bloat ware or unnecessary apps I don't need? I heard Google Now launcher recommended a few times so maybe I can try this too.

I just want a clean, simple phone with all the hardware functions as expected and as few bugs as possible that can be updated OTA in future without having to reinstall everything. I want to do a nice install once and hopefully that will be it until having to retire the phone.

Any quick guides would be very very much appreciated!

You'd want to check your camera too, see if it has the pink hue issue.

Users Claim Xperia Z3 Camera Have Pink Hues | Ubergizmo http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/10/users-claim-xperia-z3-camera-have-pink-hues/

Mine has this issue, in the middle of seeing what sony can do about it now. Pain in the hole.

With that and also the constant "data roaming off" notifications when I'm abroad, that no one can find a solution for, I'm kinda regretting getting this phone after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I've the Z3. My customisation was to do the following.

1: I uninstalled any apps I could. A surprising amount could be uninstalled. I've come from Samsung which is getting a bit Appley in that they want you to do a lot of stuff their way and most of the stuff on it can't be removed without rooting.
    2: I went into the App Info for any apps I couldn't uninstall and disabled them.
    3: I installed Nova Launcher. This allows you to get an extra row or two of icons on the screen if you want. On a 5" phone I always add one extra row. Nova Launcher allows you to hide any apps from the app drawer that you will never use. Handy for keeping it tidy. Nova also allows you to remove the icon names from your apps on the home screen. I've attached a screenshot of what mine looks like.
    4: I followed the instructions here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2689155&page=3 to remove the Whats New button from the Google Now space and to remove the small launcher app too. If you know what they are and they annoy you then the instructions are easy to follow. If you don't know what they are and they don't annoy you then you've nothing to do.

That's it. I installed the update that popped down last week and haven't noticed any difference. The notifications are louder but they didn't bother me before anyway. I thought it would undo the stuff I did in step 4 but it didn't so that was handy.

Really happy with this phone. I've had it for about a month now and it's had no hassle at all.

Edit: Just saw stoksyXLs post. I checked for pink hue (I presume taking a picture of a white page and checking that out is good enough) and it doesn't have that problem.

timetogo wrote: »
    I've the Z3. My customisation was to do the following.

1: I uninstalled any apps I could. A surprising amount could be uninstalled. I've come from Samsung which is getting a bit Appley in that they want you to do a lot of stuff their way and most of the stuff on it can't be removed without rooting.
    2: I went into the App Info for any apps I couldn't uninstall and disabled them.
    3: I installed Nova Launcher. This allows you to get an extra row or two of icons on the screen if you want. On a 5" phone I always add one extra row. Nova Launcher allows you to hide any apps from the app drawer that you will never use. Handy for keeping it tidy. Nova also allows you to remove the icon names from your apps on the home screen. I've attached a screenshot of what mine looks like.
    4: I followed the instructions here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2689155&page=3 to remove the Whats New button from the Google Now space and to remove the small launcher app too. If you know what they are and they annoy you then the instructions are easy to follow. If you don't know what they are and they don't annoy you then you've nothing to do.

That's it. I installed the update that popped down last week and haven't noticed any difference. The notifications are louder but they didn't bother me before anyway. I thought it would undo the stuff I did in step 4 but it didn't so that was handy.

Really happy with this phone. I've had it for about a month now and it's had no hassle at all.

Edit: Just saw stoksyXLs post. I checked for pink hue (I presume taking a picture of a white page and checking that out is good enough) and it doesn't have that problem.

Try taking a pic on a dark background, easier to spot the pink hue issue.

Here's one I made earlier...
    The jacket is jet black, but looks dreadful in the pic.
    2md1ndf.jpg

stoksyXL wrote: »
    Try taking a pic on a dark background, easier to spot the pink hue issue.

Yep that's crap looking alright. It must be a new enough phone. I'd be bringing it back and looking for a replacement if mine was doing that.

Will have to check that myself. Is it not just a case of returning it though? Also, what's this data roaming off issue? I roam quite a lot and I could be driving through 4/5 different countries in a day, my current phone already has a bit of an annoying issue where every so often (I think it may be when I go into a new network area) a roaming notification will pop up and I need to press "yes" to allow it to connect.

• Advertisement

Will have to check that myself. Is it not just a case of returning it though? Also, what's this data roaming off issue? I roam quite a lot and I could be driving through 4/5 different countries in a day, my current phone already has a bit of an annoying issue where every so often (I think it may be when I go into a new network area) a roaming notification will pop up and I need to press "yes" to allow it to connect.

I have the phone since October, so it's past the 30 day return period. Sony said I'd have to send it off to them for repair, so I'd be without a phone for about 2 weeks. I only sussed the problem last week, then did some research and found out that it is actually an issue.
    And also, this seems to be a common problem with a good few people from looking through various sites and the link is posted above, so I don't want a yo yo phone with Sony sending me a replacement with the same problem.

And the roaming notification is a total pain in the hole. I was away in the states in October and turned off all data roaming on the phone as you do. But from the second I did that I was getting "data roaming is turned off" notifications every few minutes to the phone. I kept on clearing them but they just came back.
    Searched everywhere for a solution, but no joy.

I'm currently away now in Europe for the next two weeks and getting the same poxy notifications. Still searching for a solution, but not happening.
    Someone even suggested long press the "data roaming is turned off" notifications and then go into the app that's sending the notification and switch off notifications from there and that should do it.
    Done that, notifications are off there and still getting them every few minutes.

I'm definitely thinking of going back to an iPhone now at this stage. At least the iPhone can just turn off roaming data and that's it, peace and quiet.

That must be a pain, but thankfully I don't think it will affect me as I always have data roaming on (Vodafone red roaming, great value!)

I'm going to be rightly peeved if I find out I have that pink hue :(

So what about rooting, does anyone know is there an easy way to root the Z3c?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Bulmers

what's the story with sony and the camera on their phones, i have z1c and have the flashbleed problem, now seeing problems being report with z3? for a company aswell that actually make cameras, it's not good.

What about rooting it and doing all that? I'd like to have mine rooted to make the most of some apps such as cerberus anti theft.

So I'd be happy with:

Rooted
    Free of bloatware
    updateable OTA
    simple android launcher
    all the while without losing quality of camera etc.. :)

Does anyone know what this means and if it would suit my requirements above: http://fxpblog.co/releases/aosp-lollipop-release-from-fxp-just-in-time-for-christmas/

I don't suppose anyone knows what font is used for the clock on the Z3?

sony_xperia_z3_compact_face_on.png?itok=I9F7vhuQ

I'm finally over the hurdle of transfer of switching to my Z3c and it's really sweet to use and the battery life is very impressive!

I ran into a problem backing up my app data. My previous phone a Motorola Razr i XT890 was rooted, but of course I didn't want to root the Z3c as it would mess up the camera. It seemed the only non root backup/restore of app data option for android is helium or through the pc. The pc route didn't work and as luck would have it, Motorola seems to be the only make that helium doesn't support so I just had to start from scratch with any apps that didn't have a backup option themselves.

I've been testing out the included apps for basic tasks such as viewing photos but I think I'll need another app. On my old phone you could open the gallery through the camera, pinch out and you can see/delete photos and videos easy and it only showed files in the actual camera folder. The sony app seems to show every image on the phone including what's app media, album covers etc and there doesn't seem to be an option to exclude locations either?

Is there a way to get app shortcuts on the lockscreen by the way? I'd like to put a button to turn the torch on from the lock screen if possible :)

Any help appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 lucstar

Daith wrote: »
    Picked up Z3 compact from Carphone Warehouse. Asked for Meteor PAYG but my Three sim is working fine in it. Actually the guy didn't think they had Meteor payg but his colleague said they were sim free anyway.

Did you try maybe a 48, Lycamobile or Tesco sim? I hered thy are unlocked but working only with o2, Vod or Three.
    I'm using Tesco and wondering is it worth to chance it. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

So after ages and ages of humming and hawing I finally bit the bullet and went with a z3 Compact. I was going to get a OnePlus One but my insurance wouldn't cover it as it's not available for sale in Ireland. I'm delighted with the phone and loving the camera, great pics from manual 15 and 20mp shots and the auto 8mp mode is pretty darn good too.

As asked above, does anyone know if these phones are simlocked or are the like the high end HTC phones and sim free by default? My contract is with 3, and I don't have any other nano sim to pop into it to try but I'd love to know before I fly away in a few weeks for a work thing as I'd like to use a local sim for the time I'm abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Have this phone less than two months and last night it was working fine and the screen went blank and it hasnt turned on since, restoring software etc isnt workig so back to three it went this morning, god knows when il get that back now.

Gutted about it!

Have this phone less than two months and last night it was working fine and the screen went blank and it hasnt turned on since, restoring software etc isnt workig so back to three it went this morning, god knows when il get that back now.

Gutted about it!

Did you try this
    http://sony-xperia.mobi/eng/sony-xperia-z3-compact/283-how-to-reset-sony-xperia-z3-compact-restart-button-on-sony-xperia-z3-compact.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

timetogo wrote: »

Yea, turns it off alright, powering back on though the screen just stays a dimly lit black, nothing else at all happens.

I updated to new sony software last night and phone worked for an hour or two after it and the crashed.

Tried restoring software twice today with no luck.

• Advertisement

Call xperia care, it's an 1850 (low call) number so if you call off a landline it's free. They are really helpful.

I've been experiencing a few little annoyances too with mine since I started using it.

I haven't really had the chance to test this, but it seems a lot of the time when you're on a call, if you take the phone away from your ear, the screen stays black, on my old phone as soon as the phone was taken away from your ear, the screen would come back on.

Attaching the aux cable to one car, there is a very distorted sound along with the music, as if it's being played through a tin can and there's interference coming from somewhere too on the line and it may be related to the acceleration level in the vehicle, I've had similar issues before, but only when the phone is plugged in charging and there's an interference loops, but the vehicle that it's problematic in now, was always fine before.

Interference again, there seems to be that traditional mobile/speaker interference sound a lot more than my old phone, even when there's no call or anything coming through, this happens when close to speakers/radio.

And if anyone knows how to put widgets on the lock screen please share :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭littlevillage

So after ages and ages of humming and hawing I finally bit the bullet and went with a z3 Compact. I was going to get a OnePlus One but my insurance wouldn't cover it as it's not available for sale in Ireland. I'm delighted with the phone and loving the camera, great pics from manual 15 and 20mp shots and the auto 8mp mode is pretty darn good too.

As asked above, does anyone know if these phones are simlocked or are the like the high end HTC phones and sim free by default? My contract is with 3, and I don't have any other nano sim to pop into it to try but I'd love to know before I fly away in a few weeks for a work thing as I'd like to use a local sim for the time I'm abroad.

Phones are not typically locked to a particular Sim card but they are locked to a Telecomms provider. So if you got the phone from lets say a Vodafone shop .. you will be able to switch the sim card (number) to another Vodafone number.. but not to a sim card from any other provider.

Stick a friends sim card into it .. and you will know soon enough if its locked. You can ring up the Telecomms provider that originally gave you the phone and they will unlock the phone for you (provide IEMI number).. there can be conditions however. Also those 'independent' phone shops will do it for for about €20

Phones are not typically locked to a particular Sim card but they are locked to a Telecomms provider. So if you got the phone from lets say a Vodafone shop .. you will be able to switch the sim card (number) to another Vodafone number.. but not to a sim card from any other provider.

I'm entirely aware of this but some phones like HTC's tend to not be network locked, I was wondering if Sony phones were the same. It's three branded so I'd assume it's locked to three but the odds of them giving me an unlock code when I am a week into a 2 year contract are extremely slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

My Z3 was locked to Vodafone when I bought it off of Adverts. I needed to get it unlocked online to get it to work with Three but it was easy and cheap enough to do it. I wouldn't let that put me off.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    My Z3 was locked to Vodafone when I bought it off of Adverts. I needed to get it unlocked online to get it to work with Three but it was easy and cheap enough to do it. I wouldn't let that put me off.

What site did you use to buy the unlock code? I have no idea which ones are good and which ones are "sketchy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I used facevaluemobiles247 which is an eBay seller. Cost £15. Possibly could have found cheaper but these guys did what I asked for and I had no complaints.

I went for eBay so I could check feedback.

There's literally 20 shops off of Henry Street offering unlocking services if you want to do it face to face. They all look as dodgy as each other....!

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I used facevaluemobiles247 which is an eBay seller. Cost £15. Possibly could have found cheaper but these guys did what I asked for and I had no complaints.

I went for eBay so I could check feedback.

There's literally 20 shops off of Henry Street offering unlocking services if you want to do it face to face. They all look as dodgy as each other....!

I'd rather buy a code instead of have them fiddle with the phone, I asked the xperia care guys this morning if using an unlock affected warrenty and they said no but doing a software unlock would void it, not sure what the lads in the shops do but I'd rather just buy the code all the same!

I've been experiencing a few little annoyances too with mine since I started using it.

I haven't really had the chance to test this, but it seems a lot of the time when you're on a call, if you take the phone away from your ear, the screen stays black, on my old phone as soon as the phone was taken away from your ear, the screen would come back on.

Attaching the aux cable to one car, there is a very distorted sound along with the music, as if it's being played through a tin can and there's interference coming from somewhere too on the line and it may be related to the acceleration level in the vehicle, I've had similar issues before, but only when the phone is plugged in charging and there's an interference loops, but the vehicle that it's problematic in now, was always fine before.

Interference again, there seems to be that traditional mobile/speaker interference sound a lot more than my old phone, even when there's no call or anything coming through, this happens when close to speakers/radio.

And if anyone knows how to put widgets on the lock screen please share :)

Just go to the lock screen and keep sweeping to the right until you see a plus symbol. Press said symbol...et voila!

Brilliant, thanks a lot for that. I added a torch button through creating a lock screen widget with widgetsoid :)

Was testing the audio in that car again and the audio isn't clear with either aux or bluetooth, but it's fine with other audio players, but then the Z3c is playing now with no problems on my speakers at home so I wonder what's going on there :confused:

Another issue I've noticed is while I'm on calls, I have to hold the bottom of the phone very close to my mouth for the caller to hear me. I'm guessing this is something to do with the background noise cancellation feature? When I hold it closer to my mouth, I can be heard ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement