Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Ok folks I cannot believe how sexy this phone is so far and I am only discovering teh very early stages but, using swype keyboard which I bought for my last SG5 (that transferred across) it is far far faster and emojis are now in predict!
    I also love the double tap to switch phone on option...
    The interface and options are less cluttered and much easier on the eye.

I am a very happy bunny so far, I'll update with more comments the more I get into the phone.

One thing is wasn't able to get a cover as the phone is simply to new...

I live in town so I'll keep checking the shops/Chinese places.

One thing is I can't get my bookmarks into list form?? (I can on Chrome) but not the default one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I already ordered a case.. I'm still not 100% sure I'll be getting the phone, well, I'm 95% sure, but as I said, my phones get far too much abuse to risk having them not in a case.

I'm probably going to wait for CM 11 before I use it as my main phone anyway so the case should be here well before then.

I got this one (compact only) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S-LINE-GRIP-TPU-RUBBER-SILICONE-GEL-SKIN-CASE-COVER-FOR-SONY-XPERIA-Z3-COMPACT-/381006753675?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:IE:3160

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Any thoughts on where the best place to buy the Z3 unlocked would be? From what I've read in the thread, getting it SIM-free in a brick & mortar store seems to be a matter of luck. I was looking at Amazon, who are charging €650 (with Super Saver Delivery), and Clove Technology, who are charging €680 (with courier delivery along with a case, car charger and magnetic charger adapter). Is there any hope of getting it SIM-free for closer to the €600 mark, or is that the price to pay to not be locked into a provider for ages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I was looking at the two phones in CPW today, the woman said it was unlocked if you buy it with meteor.
    There was none in display so I had to just look at the Z2 and Z1C, not ideal but it gave me an idea as to the sizes.
    Initial impressions the larger phone is quite big, probably too big of a leap from the phone I have at the moment but I'l see. :)

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if buying The Z3 Compact from CPW ;) I bought one on Meteor and as well as getting €5 free Meteor credit :D I believe I won't have any issues when I put in a vodafone nano sim ;) I got a nano sim but won't be transferring my number to it until I've the Z3 Compact set up how I want it. Far too much crap on it now for me. By crap I mean all the stuff Sony put on it themselves. There's no Network stuff on it, but there's plenty of Sony apps I won't be using.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if buying The Z3 Compact from CPW ;) I bought one on Meteor and as well as getting €5 free Meteor credit :D I believe I won't have any issues when I put in a vodafone nano sim ;) I got a nano sim but won't be transferring my number to it until I've the Z3 Compact set up how I want it. Far too much crap on it now for me. By crap I mean all the stuff Sony put on it themselves. There's no Network stuff on it, but there's plenty of Sony apps I won't be using.

I don't think there is a way of gettinG rid of the bloatware is there? without rooting that is.
    Although someone posted here saying their phone had no bloatware when bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Robby91 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on where the best place to buy the Z3 unlocked would be? From what I've read in the thread, getting it SIM-free in a brick & mortar store seems to be a matter of luck. I was looking at Amazon, who are charging €650 (with Super Saver Delivery), and Clove Technology, who are charging €680 (with courier delivery along with a case, car charger and magnetic charger adapter). Is there any hope of getting it SIM-free for closer to the €600 mark, or is that the price to pay to not be locked into a provider for ages?

They are €536 on eglobal im getting one from them this week.

http://www.eglobalcentral.eu/?subcats=Y&status=A&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&q=D6653&dispatch=products.search

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

That's a Hong Kong based company and the phone there selling is a different variation to the one on sale here.

That's a Hong Kong based company and the phone there selling is a different variation to the one on sale here.

How is it different?

Edit : i just had a look on carphonewarehouse and three,and its the specs as the one from eglobal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

How is it different?

Have a read of the wiki http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Xperia_Z3
    Specifically the list of compatible networks, make sure that model works on all the bands used over here, just in case you get stuck with something that doesn't do everything you want/need.

• Advertisement

How is it different?

Edit : i just had a look on carphonewarehouse and three,and its the specs as the one from eglobal

I think it has to do with 4g 3G reception. Also you will be required to pay customs duty if it's stopped coming in.

I think it has to do with 4g 3G reception. Also you will be required to pay customs duty if it's stopped coming in.

Ive bought a LG G3 from them without any problems with customs and im with three and have no issues getting 4G/3G ,big thread here and nobody got caught for customs http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057154505

You could do what others have done on the thread and pick one up in the CPW, For the sake of the extra money you'd have the comfort of knowing if there's a problem it's only a spin to the shop to get fixed.
    It might be unlocked, it might not, but it's only €20 to fix if it is.

Ive bought a LG G3 from them without any problems with customs and im with three and have no issues getting 4G/3G ,big thread here and nobody got caught for customs http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057154505

My OH was of the same opinion and the item of shoes they bought cost them 300 euro for customs. The 6653 variant they are selling is for Asian markets. It picks up different bands to here. I'm no expert on it but I would research it before buying....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Sony apps are not at all intrusive and you'll lose the camera quality by roooting in this case. I've had CM11 on the S5 and it was let down by the camera quality. The Sony UI is close on stock.

Sony apps are not at all intrusive and you'll lose the camera quality by roooting in this case. I've had CM11 on the S5 and it was let down by the camera quality. The Sony UI is close on stock.

+1 big time.

@Cormie, from your posts about CM I realise your intent on having it but it might be worth spending a few days or a week with the stock rom, it might surprise you.

My OH was of the same opinion and the item of shoes they bought cost them 300 euro for customs. The 6653 variant they are selling is for Asian markets. It picks up different bands to here. I'm no expert on it but I would research it before buying....

Ok thanks I haven't committed to buying it just yet, but does anyone know what model is being sold here ?

54kroc wrote: »
    You could do what others have done on the thread and pick one up in the CPW, For the sake of the extra money you'd have the comfort of knowing if there's a problem it's only a spin to the shop to get fixed.
    It might be unlocked, it might not, but it's only €20 to fix if it is.

Where do you get it unlocked for €20?

Try iemi-unlocker.com

Used them on an s5 last week and when I had problems they talked me through the entire process. Almost instantaneous email support.

54kroc wrote: »
    +1 big time.

@Cormie, from your posts about CM I realise your intent on having it but it might be worth spending a few days or a week with the stock rom, it might surprise you.

There's just too many of them for my liking. Seems to be a lot of apps installed on it that are similar to ones I'm using already like Track ID etc, I like what I'm familiar with and like to keep the same set up through android regardless of manufacturer. Even on my current phone, the Motorola XT890 Razr i, I've been using a launcher that hasn't been in devlopment since Dec 2013, just because I like the minimalist approach and then use widgetsoid and a few other apps to put things just as I like them. I'm slightly OCD about this whole set up and I've a back up phone too and like to have both phones pretty much the same set up, regardless of manufacturer, or even android version.

The only thing I've been thinking about changing is maybe looking for a new minimal launcher that's a bit more up to date.

Hopefully the camera issue will be sorted with CM 11 soon, as long as it's not absolutely shocking quality, and if it's even better than my Razr i, I'd be happy to use it until an OTA update fixes it.

I don't know if that will be the case though ? :)

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    Where do you get it unlocked for €20?

Have a search on eBay, definitely someone doing it, I checked the other night.
    Edit: Link
    There's just too many of them for my liking. Seems to be a lot of apps installed on it that are similar to ones I'm using already like Track ID etc, I like what I'm familiar with and like to keep the same set up through android regardless of manufacturer. Even on my current phone, the Motorola XT890 Razr i, I've been using a launcher that hasn't been in devlopment since Dec 2013, just because I like the minimalist approach and then use widgetsoid and a few other apps to put things just as I like them. I'm slightly OCD about this whole set up and I've a back up phone too and like to have both phones pretty much the same set up, regardless of manufacturer, or even android version.

The only thing I've been thinking about changing is maybe looking for a new minimal launcher that's a bit more up to date.

Hopefully the camera issue will be sorted with CM 11 soon, as long as it's not absolutely shocking quality, and if it's even better than my Razr i, I'd be happy to use it until an OTA update fixes it.

Fair enough.
    Would the Google now launcher be any good to you?
    I wonder if much can be done about the camera issue, will someone go around the drm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Would you not be better off just rooting the phone, removing the Sony apps that you don't like/use, install your own apps to your preference and then keep the camera and other stuff working as it is supposed to?

To be honest, I'm not really familiar with the best way to do these things and don't like messing about with things I'm not familiar with on expensive devices like this so in the past have used services of Android heads to do it for me, at least that way I know it's going to be done right and even though it will cost me a few quid, it will save me a good few hours of research, testing, possibly failing etc.

Will have a look at the google now launcher, thanks.

That could be an idea to keep the camera as is, but I'd probably prefer just to get the stock rom via CM 11 on it, yup, ocd :o

Would you not be better off just rooting the phone, removing the Sony apps that you don't like/use, install your own apps to your preference and then keep the camera and other stuff working as it is supposed to?

I'll have a play around with my girlfriend's z3c to confirm, but I'm 99% sure that since kit kat came along, you can disable pretty much any bloatware on the device. Sure, it's not the same as complete removal, but it will be removed from your app drawer and lie dormant.

Ok thanks I haven't committed to buying it just yet, but does anyone know what model is being sold here ?

Moose my model is D6603. I bought it in CPW for 559 on meteor and it is sim free. I have my O2 sim in it. I also traded in my HTC One M7 and got 130 trade in off.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Moose my model is D6603. I bought it in CPW for 559 on meteor and it is sim free. I have my O2 sim in it. I also traded in my HTC One M7 and got 130 trade in off.

I've got the D5803

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Keeping the camera app isn't the issue, AFAIK, just unlocking the boot loader will trigger the DRM issue and mess up the camera app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hey all,

I'm in need of a new phone, have the nexus 4 at present. I was waiting on the Nexus 6, however rumours of its size have me moving away from that. I got the opportunity to play with the z3 compact last night and I was really impressed. Checked some reviews last night, and by in large they are all positive, so now that has become an option. Anyone have any ideas of where is cheapest to buy it sim free?

Cheers in advance,

Apologies if its already been covered.

Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

If i was to ge this, how do i know the meteor will be sim free? can i bring it back if it's not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If i was to ge this, how do i know the meteor will be sim free? can i bring it back if it's not?

If it isn't you can get an unlock code for €20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Managed to get this past 4 days of medium-light usage before needing to charge. Battery was 18%, so could easily have reached 4.5 days

Managed to get this past 4 days of medium-light usage before needing to charge. Battery was 18%, so could easily have reached 4.5 days

I tried yesterday to make it die - not a hope and I still had 40% before bed. Screen brightness is now turned all the way up which is nice being able to take advantage of that for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I think I'm overly tired here but I didn't quite get you, are these two separate CPW shops you're talking about? And do you mean as long as I buy it from either Meteor or o2, it should be unlocked? :o

Store 1: Told twice that it was locked, twitter rep also agreed.

Store 2: Told that they use the same stock for both Meteor and o2, hence it's unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭billbond4

Ok this is generally happens with CPW with Sony phones from my experience.
    When the phone is first released they only have limited stock,so the phone should be unlocked, as the days/weeks go by more stock becomes available and these may/may not be network locked.
    Basically get in there the first few days is released to increase your chances of getting an unlocked phone.

Yeah that's what they said to me, that they want phones to have for the release date and get these straight form Sony without the networks having time to intercept them and lock them down.

• Advertisement

When you take the phone out of the box do you charge it fully without using it, or use it until it dies and then charge it fully? Whats recommended nowadays?

Pangea wrote: »
    When you take the phone out of the box do you charge it fully without using it, or use it until it dies and then charge it fully? Whats recommended nowadays?

Just use it, and charge it when it needs it. A lot of those old techniques with battery are outdated.

Guys what's the story with the USB host cable? I tried to connect my 2tb WD external HD to it to see if it would be able to read and play the contents. I was a bit sceptical given that the HD itself is powered by the USB port with no other power source so wasn't confident a phone would power it up. I connected it and it sounded like the HD was trying to start to spin but kept stopping, I didn't want to risk anything with the HD so unplugged it.

What can it actually be used for so?

Guys what's the story with the USB host cable? I tried to connect my 2tb WD external HD to it to see if it would be able to read and play the contents. I was a bit sceptical given that the HD itself is powered by the USB port with no other power source so wasn't confident a phone would power it up. I connected it and it sounded like the HD was trying to start to spin but kept stopping, I didn't want to risk anything with the HD so unplugged it.

What can it actually be used for so?

I would say usb flash sticks, that's all I've used it for.

Tried with my 2TB externally powered external HD and it wouldn't fire up at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Yeah that's what they said to me, that they want phones to have for the release date and get these straight form Sony without the networks having time to intercept them and lock them down.

which store said this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

Ok, how's everyone's z3 compact so far?

Got mine from clove the next day after they got them in stock, good service I must say.

Only got round to setting it up on Monday and it's looking like the phone is fooked.

Major battery drain, freezing, won't connect to PC via USB anymore, won't download any updates or apps from play store or Sony update service, overheating...

Sounds like I got a dud yeah?
    How's everyone getting on with theirs?
    Any similar reports to mine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

stoksyXL wrote: »
    Ok, how's everyone's z3 compact so far?

Got mine from clove the next day after they got them in stock, good service I must say.

Only got round to setting it up on Monday and it's looking like the phone is fooked.

Major battery drain, freezing, won't connect to PC via USB anymore, won't download any updates or apps from play store or Sony update service, overheating...

Sounds like I got a dud yeah?
    How's everyone getting on with theirs?
    Any similar reports to mine?

My advice is to charge it up to 100% and then do a full factory reset. Most likely software bugs from your description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

Did exactly that last night and started again from scratch this morning, still the same.
    Clove said to send it back and they'd replace it. Bit of a pain in the hole though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

stoksyXL wrote: »
    Did exactly that last night and started again from scratch this morning, still the same.
    Clove said to send it back and they'd replace it. Bit of a pain in the hole though.

Ouch, that sounds like a dud device so. Clove are good for returns from what I've heard though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Anyone else think screen is kinda blurry in comparison to galaxy s5? Talking about Netflix in particular

which store said this?

I was told more than I should have been so won't be naming where I got it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Anyone else think screen is kinda blurry in comparison to galaxy s5? Talking about Netflix in particular

I kind of like it for reading text. It's almost kinda like an e-Ink display. Yet when watching a movie/ programme it's pin sharp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

So I'm 2 days in to having the Z3. I previously had a HTC One and HTCs for the previous 4 years. Took a lot to move away!

Things I like:
    - The screen, as per all the previous posts, is unbelievable.
    - The sound from the phone is amazing, I was expecting a drop in loudness/quality coming from the One, I was pleasantly surprised.
    - The battery, I've charged it once in the 2 days for 2 hours and it's still going, and I'd use it pretty heavily.
    - It feels solid. Looks nice. Pretty thin.
    - It's very responsive, quick to go between apps, quick to load apps.
    - The included earphones are still decent even if not noise cancelling.

Things I don't like, however minor:
    - The forced google search bar at the top, what a waste of screen.
    - I found the stock weather widget pretty useless, installed a different one.
    - Lack of earphone notification when earphones are plugged in, suppose I just got used to this from the HTCs.
    - I imported my phone book from a vcard I had emailed myself, when you look in my contacts list everyone is present once, yet when I am in the phone app and search for somebody, everyone appears 3 times. No idea why.
    - Had to download a little widget to switch wifi on/off from home screen.

So all in all, the things I like much outweigh the things I don't like and I got a good deal from 3 so I'm pretty happy. Hope it lasts the 24 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

Hey folks,

When I setup a new contact the default is "Device only, no backup". I can click on this and change it to Google.

Does anyone know how to set the default to Google and not device only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

sebcity wrote: »

- The forced google search bar at the top, what a waste of screen.
    - I imported my phone book from a vcard I had emailed myself, when you look in my contacts list everyone is present once, yet when I am in the phone app and search for somebody, everyone appears 3 times. No idea why.

I can help a bit with those two.

1: You can change your launcher very easily. I use Nova Launcher. It allows you to get rid of the Search bar at the top. Try it out. If you don't like it you can just uninstall it.

2: I don't have a Sony but on my phone when I click on Contacts and then Settings and then Contacts to Display I get a list of different address books. I've piles of address books listed in there but I only check the gmail account. Then I keep the gmail contact list tidy. So no duplicates are shown.

• Advertisement
Advertisement