Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pitch of the roof

Options
  • 03-09-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hi,

can anyone off-hand tell me what is the pitch of the roof above the ground floor to the rear of the terraced houses in Charlesland?
    I cannot measure until weekend as I'm visiting northern Ireland in a search for some materials and visiting friends.

I would need a favor, there is an app to measure the pitch of the roof (this can be done by opening the rear bedroom window):

1) step one to download the app ''Pitch Gauge''
    2) go to settings and change to metric (degrees)
    3) put some long object on the roof tiles and then place a smartphone on the top of the object (this way you won't measure the pitch of the tile but the pitch of the roof.

anyone able to help?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You can calculate it by using a measuring tape and some very basic trigonometry.

The tan of the pitch = opposite / adjacent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I wouldn't trust an app on a smart phone for that type of thing. Anyway, you fail to let us know why you are up north. I hope you getting some fireworks for us in plenty of time for Halloween? Does the rocket launcher need to certain angle for take-off?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

I seem to recall hearing the standard pitch (for typical houses) is 22 degrees but can't be certain about that.

found this .. http://www.roofcalc.org/roof-pitch-calculator/

22.5 degrees would be the minimum angle under Slating and Tiling Code of Practice. You can go lower once you have a tile which is designed for lower pitches.

For a 'typical' 3-bed semi-detached with a pre-fabricated roof structure, a likely pitch you'll find is 30 degrees. The main roof over the houses in Charlesland are tall and are roughly pitched at 45 degrees.

The rear roof, for which tp25 needs info on, is probably at the minimum angle but I haven't measured it with my rafter angle indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

17 degrees measured with a spirit level calibrated app.

i calibrated the app with spirit level.

I placed long spirit level on the top of several tiles to ensure as long distance as possible is covered and placed smartphone on the top. 17 degrees.

wrong design of the roof?

• Advertisement

Not necessarily. Depends on the product installed and whether it is suited to a low pitch with a certain headlap.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

tp25 wrote: »
    17 degrees measured with a spirit level calibrated app.

i calibrated the app with spirit level.

I placed long spirit level on the top of several tiles to ensure as long distance as possible is covered and placed smartphone on the top. 17 degrees.

wrong design of the roof?

Have you a reason to be concerned about the pitch (such as rain getting through) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

I've used these low pitch roof tiles in the past. Never had any problems

http://www.forticrete.co.uk/concrete-roof-tiles-and-slates/centurion®-low-pitch-roof-tile.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

thanks everyone.

Question: Would anyone be in a position to borrow me an angle grinder with a disc suitable to cut one concrete tile (I have the safety glasses)?
    I'm not 100% sure when I start the job but I know that I will only need it for less than half an hour. I'm happy to leave a deposit and pay a fee for rental of this tool.

From my measurements I will only need to cut one last tile.

Anyone in CL ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

thanks everyone.

Question: Would anyone be in a position to borrow me an angle grinder with a disc suitable to cut one concrete tile (I have the safety glasses)?

PM sent earlier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

...I know that I will only need it for less than half an hour....
    ...From my measurements I will only need to cut one last tile.
    Heh heh. If only these things would go according to plan, life would be so simple :D

Advertisement