Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results of structural survey on a house

Options
  • 03-09-2014 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi everyone,

We received our engineer's report today for a 3-bed, mid-terraced, period house we're hoping to buy (approx 110 sq metres, built around 1905). Some issues highlighted include:

1 - Some cracks to the rear return of the property. Recommended investigating these by exposing internal wall and checking drains for leaks and subsidence.

2 - Damp-proofing due to some rising damp

3 - Expose floor joists and wall plates to check for moisture damage

4 - Treat timbers for woodworm (not active at present)

5 - Upgrade heating and plumbing

6 - Upgrade electrics

I have contacted my engineer for some guidance on costing the above remedial work, but wondered if anyone might have any thoughts?

Who would investigate the cracks? Do I need to pay for this or do I inform the vendor and ask that he look into it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You needed to give him better instructions upfront; the opportunity to ask for anything to be opened or inspected is generally when he is there - that's the point in him being around. If he's properly skilled/qualified, he should be able to give you an idea of the likelihood of a problem (and the cost of remediating it) or whether you should insist on further investigation. It sounds as if he's treating you as a bit of a neophyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Who would investigate the cracks? Do I need to pay for this or do I inform the vendor and ask that he look into it?
    You can't do any opening up without the vendor's permission, which might not come. You may need to reassess your bid in light of this, allowing for the risk that things are worse than they appear.

1 - Not uncommon, especially if it was a later addition.
    2 - Not uncommon, expect to have to do all the walls.
    3 - Again, not without vendor's permission.
    4 - Treating all the timberwork together for rot and woodworm would be the idea. You could ask the engineer to have the likes of www.dampstore.ie quote for the work.
    5 & 6 - Quite usual. The minimum you should probably do is a new boiler and a re-wire, making sure to fit plenty of sockets, comms, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lillydub

Thanks so much. This has been very helpful!

I hope to hear back from the surveyor later today and hopefully he can give some more guidance. It's a little reassuring that the issues are not unusual in a house of this age. Just don't know if the worse case scenario is thousands or tens of thousands. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

as Victor said none of this unusual. Engineer jsut covering his ass with the survey thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I agree, that could be a cut and paste from any survey of a period house in Ireland. Thems the risks for the character. I doubt you will get permission to expose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I would definitely get a survey of the pipework completed - if this is in order chances of major issues with subsidence are more remote.

As others have said the rest is to be expected for a house of that nature, damp proofing and heating upgrades are par for the course.

I would sit down with the engineer and get his opinion on the issues he has raised in plain english face to face. He has to cover himself in the report in writing but is much more likely to be forthcoming with the risks in person in an informal manner.

Advertisement