Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overnight Queues for Property Again...... Really?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I think it is Swords where the queuing is taking place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It looks like there aren't enough houses to meet the demand yet again. You'd think someone would have seen this coming, but then they never seem to see anything coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Indeed, a few places have mentioned Swords but with that person having mentioned Skerries I thought perhaps it was happening there too.

I can't believe we're back to this sort of behaviour. It's madness. I know it's caused by a shortage of property but how has no-one in government planned for this. The last thing anyone needs now is another property frenzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

To qoute Ivan Yates on Newstalk breakfast "A good crisis wasted'.
    We have learned nothing.
    The traps are set again.
    Government sleepwalking from one crisis to another with none solved only barely patched at best.
    I despair!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

just been on newstalk this morning. place called millers glen. they reckon theres 300 interested people and already out sleeping and houses not on sale till saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭raher1

We elected enda kenny crowd for change to reflect modern Ireland where people pre plan things in their lives and all we got is keep it same as before, build a motorway for no cars in Galway county.

bcmf wrote: »
    To qoute Ivan Yates on Newstalk breakfast "A good crisis wasted'.
    We have learned nothing.
    The traps are set again.
    Government sleepwalking from one crisis to another with none solved only barely patched at best.
    I despair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I couldn't believe it when I read it. Who are these morons who are in the Que? Someone needs to go and have a word.

I despair.

Keep it local folks.

There's Accommodation & Property, Economics or Politics if you want to discuss the wider issues.

Ta,

tHB

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Yup about 10 people down there last night. It's for 60 houses, afair it's Gannon homes and they were given PP for 1,500 houses up off the Ashbourne road/ Glen Ellen road. It's ridiculous, they're not even cheaper than the second hand properties around. Only 60 are at a set price, so I would assume the rest will rocket. I also remember there was issues with the PP given, not enough infrastructure in place etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Sheep Syndrome,

heard a report on RTE News, reporter says approx 9 people in Q for 60 homes to be released on Sat.
    Only one female was available for an interview,

now if we see a Q of 600 people on Sat AM, we are really in trouble...again..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Apparently (according to RTE Radio 1 this morning) there was a queue of reporters of almost equal size waiting to speak to the house hunters...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Obviously, we have learned nothing. But it is also a symptom of the housing shortage in Dublin. Guess what - no building for 6+ years means not enough housing.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Seemingly all this Gannon development will have locked in prices (though over priced imho) due to them actually being financed by NAMA

Also hearing "talk" of these people being paid to que to increase hype around the development...they need these properties to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

BKWDR wrote: »
    Seemingly all this Gannon development will have locked in prices (though over priced imho) due to them actually being financed by NAMA

Also hearing "talk" of these people being paid to que to increase hype around the development...they need these properties to sell.

There will be no doubt of them selling. €400k for detached 4 bed in Swords is mad money though.

Sadly, no need to pay people to queue. Irish people be craaaazy at the chance of buying a gaf ;)

The issue is the shortage of supply. People want to buy houses and due to the shortage, a ridiculous sense of competition has developed. The prospect of buying a 3 bed house in Swords for "only" 240k will be very attractive for those in a position to buy.

I bought earlier this year in North County Dublin. The estate is still in development and the builder is holding back houses (not putting them on the market yet), presumably because prices are on the rise. There are a number of ongoing developments in North County Dublin and if that is a common practice, its no wonder people are foaming at the mouth when developments go on sale.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

2 beds will be €240, 3 will be €280/290 and the 4 beds are €400. Are 2nd hand 3 bed homes in Swords going for a lot more than €280 these days?
    They're saying the homes are larger than those built in the boom due to new building regulations, but tbh they look very small and cramped next to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think it is Swords where the queuing is taking place.

Sounds like a long queue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

raher1 wrote: »
    We elected enda kenny crowd for change to reflect modern Ireland where people pre plan things in their lives and all we got is keep it same as before, build a motorway for no cars in Galway county.

To be fair, two years ago if the government had announced an initiative to build houses, the country would have been up in arms - "More of the same, have we learnt nothing etc".

People need houses - fact.
    People need houses near where they work - fact.
    The majority of people work in Dublin so houses are needed in or near Dublin and if there is a shortage then prices go up.

Its all very well saying the government should have foreseen this, but no-one really knew we would exit the recession as quickly as we did. In 2009 many analysts were saying it was going to be 10 years in length, then there was fears of a double dip, or a dead cat bounce(still not sure what that is). Now in September 2014, we are out of recession, and the ECB is freeing up 40 billion in credit to stimulate the markets.

What we really need to be careful about is bad planning and bad lending, thats where things really got us in trouble.

syklops wrote: »

Its all very well saying the government should have foreseen this, but no-one really knew we would exit the recession as quickly as we did. In 2009 many analysts were saying it was going to be 10 years in length, then there was fears of a double dip, or a dead cat bounce(still not sure what that is).

[URL="[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/65d7bk.jpg[/IMG]"]65d7bk.jpg[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

A dead cat bounce is when there is a very slight recovery, only for things to continue downwards. It's called that on the basis that if you drop a dead cat from high enough, it does bounce back very slightly, but the bounce is not an indication of its health improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Anyways smell like shenanigans to me! There's only a queue because 8 people are there. There's no one behind these people. So if they werent there they'd still get in to view without out a problem. Great publicity though................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

peteb2 wrote: »
    Anyways smell like shenanigans to me! There's only a queue because 8 people are there. There's no one behind these people. So if they werent there they'd still get in to view without out a problem. Great publicity though................

It's my thinking exactly. Gannons paying a few people to camp out to raise profile. Sell these units super quick, get permission to build next phase off NAMA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I dunno guys, I think we all better get out there and buy one before it's too late. Get on the ladder and all that!!!
    [/2006]

BMJD wrote: »
    I dunno guys, I think we all better get out there and buy one before it's too late. Get on the ladder and all that!!!
    [/2006]

No No, borrow money at 0.05%, buy at least three. And another in Bulgaria.........happy days.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rory365

I'm probably in the minority here but a few (4-6) people queueing for 60 houses is hardly reminiscent of the boom. 400k for a 4 bed at around 1500 square feet doesn't seem like atrocious value to me?

I think the media love stoking up the fact that there could be a boom just because prices have risen in the last year and a half. That's not a boom, it's a supply issue and it's also due to the fact that prices were permanently deflated for years and years....

If they were selling these houses for 500-550k i would be worried, but those prices don't seem insane.

I bought a house earlier this year and one thing i noted as part of our long long search for a house was that houses which aren't good value (i.e. priced too high) take AGES to sell and inevitably come down in price. Well, that was our observation anyway.

That's my two cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

21 posts, mostly about property....

Rory365 wrote: »
    I'm probably in the minority here but a few (4-6) people queueing for 60 houses is hardly reminiscent of the boom. 400k for a 4 bed at around 1500 square feet doesn't seem like atrocious value to me?

I think the media love stoking up the fact that there could be a boom just because prices have risen in the last year and a half. That's not a boom, it's a supply issue and it's also due to the fact that prices were permanently deflated for years and years....

If they were selling these houses for 500-550k i would be worried, but those prices don't seem insane.

I bought a house earlier this year and one thing i noted as part of our long long search for a house was that houses which aren't good value (i.e. priced too high) take AGES to sell and inevitably come down in price. Well, that was our observation anyway.

That's my two cents!

21 posts, mostly about property....
    If you have a problem with a post - use the report post function & tell us why. Do not drag threads off-topic with comments such as the above.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

BKWDR wrote: »
    It's my thinking exactly. Gannons paying a few people to camp out to raise profile. Sell these units super quick, get permission to build next phase off NAMA

I took a trip up there yesterday evening to have a look as I live nearby.
    I mean no disrespect to the people queuing but some of them look like they're on the dole. If they do work why aren't they at work. There's definitely something dodgy going on there & if I had to bet on it, I'd bet that they are getting paid for it.
    If they were queuing in somewhere like Rathfarnham I could believe it but there is no shortage of 2nd hand house in Swords.
    Yes price have crept up this year but there's still some reasonably priced houses to be found. There's a 4 bed detached house for 250k five minutes walk from this estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Gannons also got a show house open in Clongriffen this weekend aswell but dont know if theres anything for sale. There is a bit of house building going on at the min. Down in Ballgriffen they abandoned a site in 2008 with foundations and half built houses now all the foundations have walls and the half builts have roofs which have only gone up in last few months. The road between the t church in kinsealy and portmarnock has a field which has been cleared and theyve started building on aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Nobody builds houses in dublin for 6 years and now theres a shortage of houses, what a surprise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement