Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Just a thought....

• 03-09-2014 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭

Last sunday we were out for a spin across the wicklow gap....three times we were waved down (slow down) by other bikers..but not knowing why....first it was sheep, then it was the Gardai at the top car park "admiring the view" maybe..;)...and then for a puntured cyclist..:rolleyes:....got me thinking, what if we had hand gestures/signals to warn other bikers of possible incidents...like four fingers pointed downwards for sheep/animals....fist on top of helmet for the plod..or do ya think i'm mad.........:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's too hard to come up with a system. The old "slow down", flat hand up and down is the one universal one that works.
    Handy having a couple if you're travelling in a group (even if it's just 2) for simple things, like "pull in next opportunity". Actually, you only need that one :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

One of the best ones is one hand behind your back with your finger closet the thumb going like a wiper blade. That signal has always been for the "police" when ever we have been out, I guess its to mimick the sirens. I taught it was a universal thing maybe its not but works for me big time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

There are universal hand signals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

DLMA23 wrote: »

So universal that at least 5 posters didn't know about them. Take more time to try and remember the correct signal and for the receiver to understand it that the object being warned about will be long past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Del2005 wrote: »
    So universal that at least 5 posters didn't know about them. Take more time to try and remember the correct signal and for the receiver to understand it that the object being warned about will be long past.
    I ride with a large group regularly & we've adapted to using the signals quite easily...practice makes perfect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Cops ahead has always been tapping the lid for me anyway.

Cops ahead has always been tapping the lid for me anyway.

Or a bee in your helmet!!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

aye head pat for cops is common enough I thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'm not seeing "sheep ahead".........:)
    Cops one i didnt know...do now........pity the guys on sunday didnt know that signal either...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

The sign for a "comfort stop" is used by several of my male acquaintances who don't even drive bikes! :D

• Advertisement

COMFORT STOP INDEED!!!!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    COMFORT STOP INDEED!!!!

:rolleyes:

And you take your right leg off the peg and left hand off the handlebars if there is a hazard on the road???
    I will in me Bollix!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    One of the best ones is one hand behind your back with your finger closet the thumb going like a wiper blade. That signal has always been for the "police" when ever we have been out, I guess its to mimick the sirens. I taught it was a universal thing maybe its not but works for me big time!

Or it could be that you have an itchy back.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Really?:confused:

I thought these were them...:pac:

8qZk1j7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Really?:confused:

I thought these were them...:pac:

8qZk1j7.jpg

Gave me a good chuckle.

Advertisement