Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheaten terrier

• 03-09-2014 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi everyone.
    I am looking to buy a wheaten terrier does anyone have any info on breeders anywhere in ireland?
    I have only found one and the price is too high.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

When you say price is too high what price was it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

They're one of my favourite breeds, but they have a serious suite of health issues and behaviour problems... If I was taking the plunge I'd most definitely go the extra mile and buy a well-bred dog... You'll only end up paying and maybe more in the long run!
    There's a good breeder in Clare, but you will pay more for one of her healthy, temperamentally sound dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 maggiewhite

andreac wrote: »
    When you say price is too high what price was it?

€1300. Is this the norm?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

In fairness, that does seem a tad high for a pet dog, I'd have been thinking a good quality pet Wheaten would set you back somewhere around the €600-800 mark? Anyone else know?:o
    They're not the most common breed in the world I suppose, which would drive up the price, but that does seem a little high if it's a pet dog you're after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Who is the breeder? I would have said the same as DBB.

With this breed you really need to go to a reputable breeder. Have you got experience with terriers? I know several breeders with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

DBB wrote: »
    but they have a serious suite of health issues and behaviour problems...

Totally agree with this, I have met only about 3 but they've all had behavioural issues. One boy comes into mind in particular, he was 10 and was zipping all over the place, most hyperactive dog I have ever seen, but he was extremely anxious as well and would flinch if you touched him all the while his whole body was going a hundred miles an hour.

Come to think of it, I've never met a calm wheaten either lol.

€1300 does sound steep alright, but there are a LOT of details that would have to come with such a high price, such as the effort made to breed healthy dogs in both mind and body (were tests far beyond a 'vet check' made), what the lineage is like, etc.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sounds very high alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Hi MaggieWhite,

Just curious, did you manage to source a Wheaten, at a reasonable price? The price you quote is bit off then scale (for a pet). I have one and I have to say, smashing dogs, he is over four (neutered) and not one bit aggressive. They are quite hard to get, but I was able to knock a lot of money off the original asking price as there were three other breeders selling at the same time (unusual).

• Registered Users Posts: 31 maggiewhite

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Hi MaggieWhite,

Just curious, did you manage to source a Wheaten, at a reasonable price? The price you quote is bit off then scale (for a pet). I have one and I have to say, smashing dogs, he is over four (neutered) and not one bit aggressive. They are quite hard to get, but I was able to knock a lot of money off the original asking price as there were three other breeders selling at the same time (unusual).

Hi.
    I got one from a breeder in cork for €350. She's 7 months old now and very friendly and feisty when she wants to be. I wouldn't swap her for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Hi.
    I got one from a breeder in cork for €350. She's 7 months old now and very friendly and feisty when she wants to be. I wouldn't swap her for anything.

Good for you. One thing about I will say, and this is just my opinion. They (or at least my dog) does not like to be alone, very much part of the family, will happily go anywhere with us, but defo does not like to left alone and really thrives on the company of other dogs ( we have a second dog). They are very strong, so worth putting extra leash work in when they are younger, as well as working on the jumping (both things I should have done).

Enjoy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement