If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth Radio

Options
  • 03-09-2014 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Long time no speak, I hope all is well!
    Hoping you can help me on the kitchen spectrum. I have a trusty Philips streamium that has been proudly displayed in kitchen and bedroom for the past 9 years, but the time has come due to sheer size but also sticky buttons to upgrade the old filly!

While I have embraced sonos in other parts of the house to keep the marital status quo, I'd like to get a decent sounding radio, that can stream Bluetooth from a device (iPhone ect). DAB nice but not a must and wily be great if it could be hoisted out to the garden on battery power now and again.

I've been looking at the Pure Evoke for the past while but not pushed purchase as I want to get it right. Have you fine folk any recommendations?

#thanks!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

hick wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Long time no speak, I hope all is well!
    Hoping you can help me on the kitchen spectrum. I have a trusty Philips streamium that has been proudly displayed in kitchen and bedroom for the past 9 years, but the time has come due to sheer size but also sticky buttons to upgrade the old filly!

While I have embraced sonos in other parts of the house to keep the marital status quo, I'd like to get a decent sounding radio, that can stream Bluetooth from a device (iPhone ect). DAB nice but not a must and wily be great if it could be hoisted out to the garden on battery power now and again.

I've been looking at the Pure Evoke for the past while but not pushed purchase as I want to get it right. Have you fine folk any recommendations?

#thanks!
    Hi Hick,

Thanks for getting in touch :)

I'm sure we'll have something to get you sorted.

I know the title suggest Bluetooth but I'm gonna throw this in anyway.  The new Denon Heos system is defiantly worth looking at, I guarantee it will blow your mind!  It's a similar idea to Sonos but offers a good bit more, plus the sound quality is superb!  It doesn't have Bluetooth but will play music that's stored on an Iphone or even Android too.  It can also access internet radio, Spotify and loads more!  This can be set up for a full multi-room system, may not be essential if you're using Sonos but sometimes it's nice to mix n match :)  The main advantage of Heos is that they're bringing out a Heos 1 shortly that comes with an optional battery pack, this means you'll have no problems taking it down to the garden or firing it in a bag for a day at the beach.  Did I mention it can also play of a USB stick?  Sorry if I've gone off track but it's just such a good product:

http://heosbydenon.denon.com/uk

We're still waiting on pricing etc on the Heos 1 but hopefully this shouldn't be too long.  We're currently running the 3, 5 and 7 and they're fantastic!!

You could have a look at the Cambridge Audio Minx Air 100 also.  Now unfortunately this wont allow you to take it down to the garden as it's mains powered but it'll give you great sound.  It has Bluetooth, Apple Airplay, Internet Radio and built in WiFi so no leads or hassle anywhere :)  Internet Radio feature is very handy, can access thousands of radio stations from all around the world, you'll never be stuck for anything to listen to:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/wireless-docks,-speakers-and-portables/cambridge-audio/minx-air-100/camb-minx-air100-whi

Let me know if this is on the right track :)

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Hi Kenny

Thanks for the quick reply, while both are nice pieces of kit if I was going that way I'd just pick up another sonos.

What I'm looking for is something that will act stand alone as a radio, ie no device required (iPhone/tab/etc) hence the pure... Back to you 😉

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Kenny

Thanks for the quick reply, while both are nice pieces of kit if I was going that way I'd just pick up another sonos.

What I'm looking for is something that will act stand alone as a radio, ie no device required (iPhone/tab/etc) hence the pure... Back to you 😉
    Hiya Hick - long time no chat!

Thanks for the enquiry and I have a couple of suggestions for you..one retro and one right up to date :)

The first is the Roberts Revival Bluetune 60 ( as seen in every cooking programme on the TV at the moment !)
    http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/assets/kb/user_guide/0/Blutune60.pdf ( it looks much better in the flesh than it does in the leaflet!) - this is actually an interesting gadget that is a DAB radio / FM Radio / USB player and a CD player in one compact box - it actually sounds great and its super value - its normally £189.95 but for long absent, returning Boardies we could stretch to £174.95 on it ( You qualify..)

Alternatively if you can hold on a few weeks there is a new Cambridge Go Radio coming out - the Minx Go, its predecessor, was one of our most successful products and the Go Radio is the updated version with NFC and FM radio included - the Go sounds pretty amazing to be honest and it is completely portable with an amazing 18 hour battery life ( I've tested it !)
    https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/wireless-speakers/go-radio

We expect to see it really shortly and it will be £139

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Hey John

Now we're cooking on gas!
    Really like the idea of the Roberts for the auld CDs (can you believe they're retro already, kids on the bus look aghast at my wife's disc man, some in hipster sneeryness others in wonderment at whether this is some new fandangled technology!!)

Anywhoo reviews look good but a bit of a question mark over the sound? Also assume it doesn't tick the battery box?

The minx looks good too, though can it operate independently??

Cheers
    H

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hey John

Now we're cooking on gas!
    Really like the idea of the Roberts for the auld CDs (can you believe they're retro already, kids on the bus look aghast at my wife's disc man, some in hipster sneeryness others in wonderment at whether this is some new fandangled technology!!)  

Anywhoo reviews look good but a bit of a question mark over the sound? Also assume it doesn't tick the battery box?

The minx looks good too, though can it operate independently??

Cheers
    H
    H,
    The sound is not bad at all - its not a Marantz MCR610 but it does cost less than 1/2 of the price ( and it has speakers on board!)

there is a portable version that is FM / DAB / Bluetooth and looks pretty cool ( and its portable with battery)
    http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/product_details/REVIVAL_BLUTUNE.htm

Same price £174

Love the CD story!! ( I feel your pain..)

The Go Radio can operate with a combination of those old fashioned button things Buttons and arms / Fingers - I know in the App era we tend to ignore these devices, but buttons and fingers can still be used on some devices as well as smartphones / Pads :eek:

Keep us posted,

ATVB

J

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.