Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morrissey. Dublin. Dec 1st 2014.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Vicar St has a 1500 capacity I believe, and RDS Simmonscourt can hold around 7000 (but it’s rarely used for gigs anymore)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Agree with that. The gap between the O2/3Arena and the next biggest is huge. The next biggest would be the Olympia afaik, which only takes 1240. Nothing between 14000 and 1240.
    Majority of gigs in the O2 are not selling out at all.
    Yip - I've been to a fair few gigs in the Three Arena & I'd have to agree that the vast majority haven't sold out.
    A Disgrace wrote: »
    Vicar St has a 1500 capacity I believe, and RDS Simmonscourt can hold around 7000 (but it’s rarely used for gigs anymore)

That's a great point about Simmonscourt. It seemed to be a lot more popular back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

If I go to a box office at the venue with a printed recept and confirmation email will that be enough
    Did you get sorted in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Fugs!!

What size is the marquee in cork? Yes cork. And I know it's only summer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭furiousox

Think it holds 4 or 5 thousand.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Ice Storm wrote: »
    Did you get sorted in the end?

Yep, folk at the box office were lovely. Great gig, Moz on top form as ever

Review from somebody on Morrissey's website;

Song Highlights:
    Mountjoy: absolutely touching. Introduced as Dublin’s worst hotel, this ode to the Victorian prison was like a love song (in Morrissey’s inimitable way) to the whole city, and by extension, to the audience, which made it beautiful. That for me was the overall theme of the night.
    He seemed genuinely delighted, proud, and grateful to be back in Dublin, one of his spiritual homes.
    He introduced “Boz Boorer: From the Dodder”.
    When Moz gestured to a giant Brendan Behan on the screen behind him, I felt his connection with the city and the people was complete, done in his own unique, indirect way.
    Asleep: I nearly cried during this, the emotion reached a peak here, partly because I wondered is he dying. And what will happen when he does? Will he have alienated everyone in the world by then, in a deliberate grand gesture of artful self-destruction, slipping away in the night alone, adored by millions, never letting anyone in. I wondered was this the last time I would see this genius. This song was desperately sad, haunting, delicate and transported me to another world.
    I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Istanbul: I’ve always loved the way Morrissey pays tribute to specific locations. On the night Dublin was the primary one. Istanbul / Paris were also beautiful portraits, with wonderfully built atmosphere throughout. A lovesong to Paris about the absence of love, wonderful.
    Trouble Loves Me/ Yes, I am Blind: These two were exquisite slow numbers towards the end, where I was reminded of the lyrical prowess of this genius “In the half-light, so English, frowning” / “Yes, I am Blind, but I do see that Evil people prosper, over the likes of you, and me, always. God, come down, IF you really care, as you are the one who claims to care”
    Staircase at the University / Speedway I loved the Gilbert O Sullivan song midway through Speedway as an interval, it was a really cleverly intertwined with the song.
    Everyday Is Like Sunday: what a finale – I found myself punching the air going slightly insane.
    Meat Is Murder: I made a point of looking around and there were many women in particular who had the head in their hands during the video for this. I made a point of watching the film in the background, which was inside hidden camera footage of abattoirs, chicken farms, and food factories around the world. It was as extreme and gruesome as it could possible have been.
    I noticed that there were hotdog stands outside, which was a little ironic.
    Stage invasions – 2 people came close and I felt sorry for them that they didn’t quite make it. Moz stretched his hand to them, appearing to want to help them up…. but withdrew it just at the last moment when it seemed they could give him a hug, a metaphor for his relationships in general.
    However, he seemed to shake hands with many people in the crowd through the gig, and he was warmer and friendlier to the audience than I have ever seen him.

Delivery
    What I was reminded of last night was this: You are able to hear every single word he sings. That is unique. And when those words are the most finely crafted lyrics every composed, that hits you right in the soul. Its clear that he considers each word so important that he delivers it sharply and clearly so that the message is complete. So many other bands mumble the songs, and you might pick out a few words of the chorus.

Ready-with Ready wit
    “If you have a degree in anthropology, or have a spade, or in Dublin should I say shovel, you might be able to find our new album”
    “Are you ever stopped in the street and asked by someone are you mad? Well imagine being me”
    “You couldn’t improve upon the architecture of this city”

Support act: Anna Calvi:
    Normally I’m cautious about any Morrissey support act. His insecurity rarely allows anyone decent fill this slot. That wasn’t the case in Dublin, where he chose the wonderful Anna Calvi – stunningly beautiful, playing mesmerising screaming guitar tunes. It reminded me of My Bloody Valentine in parts, that delicate feminine vocal singing over a slightly violent chainsaw guitar riff. I just wish she spoke to us a bit more and let us get to know her, as I’d say she’s lovely.

New generation of fans:
    Over the years, I’ve watched my fellow fans get older and greyer. Last night I noticed something fantastic: there seems to be a hint of a new generation coming along, possibly the teenage sons and daughters of fans of the Smiths who are being introduced to the icon.

Video montage :
    The pre-show video montage is getting better all of the time. It really sets the scene well before he enters the stage. I particularly loved the black and white video of Sandy Shaw singing by the docks of Manchester. It was romantic, nostalgic and beautiful and aligned with the theme of the show perfectly.

Overall, that was a life changing gig. I felt like I was witnessing a genius, a legend, possibly for the last time before he dies. And he seemed the happiest I had seen him in 20 years, to be home in the city of his parents and with which he seemed to have a genuine affection and connection.

Keano

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I won't copy the whole post above but 'possibly for the last time before he dies' is crude beyond belief.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Birneybau wrote: »
    I won't copy the whole post above but 'possibly for the last time before he dies' is crude beyond belief.
    The guy seems a real fan though (a bit too much if you ask me...) and Moz is reportedly not well... don't see any offense in bringing it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Was that post taken from Morrissey-Solo? The hyperbole from some people on that website is something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

For me, the Meat is Murder video completely killed the vibe. In my opinion, this was too much.
    Up to then I was having a blast. Despite the health issues he seems so refreshed. Gustavo Manzur seems to offer a lot to the band, playing the piano and the trumpet and the accordion!!

No particular issues with the setlist. Although it was heavily around the new album, I like most of the songs that he played live.
    And, Yes I am blind, what a treat to play it!!

Was that post taken from Morrissey-Solo? The hyperbole from some people on that website is something else.

Yeah it was

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭markmacken

Agree with that. The gap between the O2/3Arena and the next biggest is huge. The next biggest would be the Olympia afaik, which only takes 1240. Nothing between 14000 and 1240.
    Majority of gigs in the O2 are not selling out at all.

I totally agree. There is a real need for a venue in Dublin that is somewhere in between the 3Arena and the Olympia Theatre, in terms of size. I know parts of the 3Arena can be curtained off when it is not full, but it's not the same. And I think the Morrissey gig suffered slightly because of that. Is the Olympia definitely bigger than Vicar St?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Why are people complaining about the 'graphic' Meat is Murder video accompaniment? Do you not understand Morrissey's opinion on meat if you listened to the song before? Or have you never thought about the origins of the steak on your plate?

Seriously, you must be a very blasé Smiths/Moz fan to not realise that the man himself is a vegetarian who vehemently disagrees with the consumption of animal meat and the barbaric slaughter of animals, as seen in the video.

I thought the video was powerful and it itself was focused upon more than the actual song, the perfect union of two mediums.

But if you thought that video was bad, check out PETA's website for even worse videos.

Liam92 wrote: »
    Why are people complaining about the 'graphic' Meat is Murder video accompaniment? Do you not understand Morrissey's opinion on meat if you listened to the song before? Or have you never thought about the origins of the steak on your plate?

Seriously, you must be a very blasé Smiths/Moz fan to not realise that the man himself is a vegetarian who vehemently disagrees with the consumption of animal meat and the barbaric slaughter of animals, as seen in the video.

I thought the video was powerful and it itself was focused upon more than the actual song, the perfect union of two mediums.

But if you thought that video was bad, check out PETA's website for even worse videos.
    Which would sorta beg the question, why does he need to show the videos if anybody at his gig would already know all of this?

"And the calf that you carve with a smile, is murder. And the turkey you festively slice, is murder. Do you know how animals die ?" - Would you rather he chose to show innocent lambs, pigs, or calves in a field, whilst singing those lyrics?

He is an artist/activist using his work to incorporate such videos and beliefs, and I'm glad he does it because the song becomes more than just a song with the accompanying video.

Morrissey has done such before and will continue to do so, whether people like it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Which would sorta beg the question, why does he need to show the videos if anybody at his gig would already know all of this?

Not sure he "needs" to do anything, hes an artist an can do whatever he wants.

drumswan wrote: »
    Not sure he "needs" to do anything, hes an artist an can do whatever he wants.
    If he personally finds that to be art in itself with no message implied for the concertgoer, he is one sick puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Fugs!!

Can anyone tell me why Bruce Lee's image was up?

Do the lyrics of Meat is Murder not register? Or the footage of cruel animal slaughter?

Meat is murder; that is the obvious message that Morrissey implies.

• Advertisement

If he personally finds that to be art in itself with no message implied for the concertgoer, he is one sick puppy.

Huh?

"And the calf that you carve with a smile, is murder. And the turkey you festively slice, is murder. Do you know how animals die ?" - Would you rather he chose to show innocent lambs, pigs, or calves in a field, whilst singing those lyrics?

He is an artist/activist using his work to incorporate such videos and beliefs, and I'm glad he does it because the song becomes more than just a song with the accompanying video.

Morrissey has done such before and will continue to do so, whether people like it or not.
    I know, I've seen Morrissey more than once and as far as I remember he's had that video before during Meat Is Murder. It doesn't bother me, but I'm not sure why he needs it, as has been stated already, his fans must know where he stands on this already?
    I could see the point at Glastonbury or something where it isn't a purely Moz crowd though. Does he play it there too?

Huh?
    It was a fairly routine piece of English?
    Is Morrissey trying to tell people something or, as you seem to be saying, does he just like videos of dying animals?

It was a fairly routine piece of English?
    Is Morrissey trying to tell people something or, as you seem to be saying, does he just like videos of dying animals?

What are you on about? Its an audiovisual piece on the cruelty of the meat industry. Isnt that obvious?

What are you on about? Its an audiovisual piece on the cruelty of the meat industry. Isnt that obvious?
    I know exactly what it is. Where did I or even imply otherwise?

Quoted again for those who seem to be having trouble remembering their own argument.
    If Morrissey fans understand all this, what is the video for? Or does Morrissey think his fans don't understand?
    Is it just part of the show that's not supposed to have any message at all?

Whats your point caller? That he shouldnt show a video outlining a stance if people already know it? How does that make sense? Thats like asking why he performs his songs if people have already heard them.

Whats your point caller? That he shouldnt show a video outlining a stance if people already know it? How does that make sense? Thats like asking why he performs his songs if people have already heard them.
    Question: did you read any of this thread at all before parachuting boots first at the end of it?
    Some people were put off by the slaughter video. If the case is being made that people will know Morrissey's position on all this, why is there a need to ruin people's enjoyment of the gig with that video?
    Like I said, I've seen him several times and the video and not been bothered. Neither am I a vegetarian I might add.

Question: did you read any of this thread at all before parachuting boots first at the end of it?
    Some people were put off by the slaughter video. If the case is being made that people will know Morrissey's position on all this, why is there a need to ruin people's enjoyment of the gig with that video?
    Like I said, I've seen him several times and the video and not been bothered. Neither am I a vegetarian I might add.

Yes Ive read the thread. Suggesting that an artist should not create a performance with a message because the audience is already aware of the message is beyond ridiculous.

I already know he thinks nightclubs are depressing places for some awkward youths, next you'll be asking why he continues to perform How Soon Is Now?

• Advertisement

Yes Ive read the thread. Suggesting that an artist should not create a performance with a message because the audience is already aware of the message is beyond ridiculous.

I already know he thinks nightclubs are depressing places for some awkward youths, next you'll be asking why he continues to perform How Soon Is Now?
    It's a simple question: would the gig be better or worse without it?
    I'd have to agree yes it would be better without the video. Believe it or not it does upset some people and I can't recall anybody converting to vegetarianism because they went to a Morrissey concert.

Advertisement