Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morrissey. Dublin. Dec 1st 2014.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    It's a simple question: would the gig be better or worse without it?
    I'd have to agree yes it would be better without the video. Believe it or not it does upset some people and I can't recall anybody converting to vegetarianism because they went to a Morrissey concert.

Its Morrissey, he doesnt give a bollix who he upsets. Thats part of his appeal.

I thought it was an intense and challenging part of the show myself. Created a talking point after the gig for those I attended with. Who cares what the delicate flowers think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

drumswan wrote: »
    I thought it was an intense and challenging part of the show myself. Created a talking point after the gig for those I attended with. Who cares what the delicate flowers think
    Yeah, now I think back it certainly did the times I saw him too. Most people I was with (including vegetarians) didn't think much of it mind you.

Yeah, now I think back it certainly did the times I saw him too. Most people I was with (including vegetarians) didn't think much of it mind you.

Think they picked the wrong fella if they want someone who they'll agree with all the time :)

The chaps a bit of a head case, but like I said, thats the appeal. Refreshing to see someone who goes their own way in a world of manufactured drone acts

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Quoted again for those who seem to be having trouble remembering their own argument.
    If Morrissey fans understand all this, what is the video for? Or does Morrissey think his fans don't understand?
    Is it just part of the show that's not supposed to have any message at all?

I'll say this again so. The song is Meat is Murder, a song full of emotion and angst against a trade which Morrissey despises. If he can use a video which perfectly resonates with the song, he should use it as his will. If you happened to have been offended by the content at the gig, you could have gone for a toilet break, a drink, closed your eyes etc..

Why should he have not used it again because his fans may understand his anger? That seems silly when the animal trade continues, and the murder continues in Morrissey's eyes.

It's Morrissey, a man who operates at his own free will, bowing down to no one. Would he stop using the video because people were put off? He would most definitely not!

Liam92 wrote: »
    It's Morrissey, a man who operates at his own free will, bowing down to no one. Would he stop using the video because people were put off? He would most definitely not!
    And I'll say it again, the times I've seen him most people there and the people I talked to about it afterwards were put off by it. Who am I to tell him what to do, but the gig would've been better IMO if it was left out.
    BTW, to repeat, I wasn't offended by it myself, as you are saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

And I'll say it again, the times I've seen him most people there and the people I talked to about it afterwards were put off by it. Who am I to tell him what to do, but the gig would've been better IMO if it was left out.
    BTW, to repeat, I wasn't offended by it myself, as you are saying.

I didn't mean you, as in you personally. I meant anybody who was offended. However, people still do attend his gigs despite being put off by his video material.

On a lighter note, I thought the gig was impressive. His band were fantastic, as was Morrissey's voice.
    To be honest, I'm just glad he actually showed up, in light of all the illnesses and walk-offs he as had in recent times.

Anna Calvi was amazing, also!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

The whole point of the video is to offend / upset / shock.

Most people know what to expect and if they don't want to see it, use the song as an opportunity to go to the bar / toilet.

Morrissey has been doing things his own way for a long time and he's not going to change now. I don't think it stops people going to his gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Birneybau wrote: »
    What did y'all think of Anna Calvi?

That was my third time seeing her, first 2 were her own gigs in Vicar Street.

A force of nature in my opinion!

I thought she was excellent, great voice, great guitar sound. Very unexpected, will definitely check out her music.

In the video montage, after Anna Calvi finished her set, there's a clip of a guy in a grey suit singing and dancing.

Anyone know the song or singer?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The support wasn't my cup of tea at all she did more screaming then anything. The video package before Morrissey was more entertaining!

I taught the meat is murder video was fairly in your face but ya if he wants to show it his choice!

Not that I was offended by it or anything but I always find at any of his gigs I've been to so far it always distracts me over the song itself!

• Advertisement

boobar wrote: »
    In the video montage, after Anna Calvi finished her set, there's a clip of a guy in a grey suit singing and dancing.

Anyone know the song or singer?

Just found out...

Yesterday man by Chris Andrews 1967

Great tune...unusual video

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

drumswan wrote: »
    Its a brutal venue, totally destroys the intimacy I enjoyed when I saw him at the INEX, Vicar St, The Olympia etc. That said the sound is very good.

Only if you're relatively close. Its a crap at the back of the crowd. Really crap.

Its a ****e venue. Like a big warehouse.

Moz was great though. His voice was so good and the setlist was a cracker. I love the new album so happy he played so much of it.

Wasn't a huge issue but people talking through gigs?! These people are the worst ****ers imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

The Nal wrote: »
    Only if you're relatively close. Its a crap at the back of the crowd. Really crap.

Moz was great though. His voice was so good and the setlist was a cracker. I love the new album so happy he played so much of it.

Wasn't a huge issue but people talking through gigs?! These people are the worst ****ers imaginable.

They're at every gig, it's best to try and ignore it.

I often see people talking at gigs during the songs, then when the song ends, they clap, when everyone else claps, but then when the next song starts they continue to talk.:mad:

The Nal wrote: »

Was seated upstairs, sound was excellent.

Had two aul ones behind me talking through the whole gig as well. *****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Do people who talk at gigs, go to the gig, so they can say to their mates the next day: "I was at Morrissey". Morrissey comes on stage, and they probably stare in wonder for the first song or two and think to themselves: "I'm at Morrissey. Cool". Then they realise they don't know any of the songs apart from "one or two", and start talking to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

seachto7 wrote: »
    Do people who talk at gigs, go to the gig, so they can say to their mates the next day: "I was at Morrissey". Morrissey comes on stage, and they probably stare in wonder for the first song or two and think to themselves: "I'm at Morrissey. Cool". Then they realise they don't know any of the songs apart from "one or two", and start talking to each other.

I was at Sly and Robbie with Ernest Ranglin in Whelans two years ago, and there was talking throughout the whole gig.

For all those who were talking knew, Ernest Ranglin is likely playing guitar - as a session musician - on albums they own, but they probably don't even realise it, and they couldn't be bothered shutting the f**k up for the 90 or so minutes the gig lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

seachto7 wrote: »

It's incomprehensible to me that someone would pay 60 quid for a ticket and do that. Are they so rich they can spend that kind of money on a gig they have only a passing interest in...

You can sort of live with it at music but for comedy and spoken word acts it's unforgivable...

It's incomprehensible to me that someone would pay 60 quid for a ticket and do that. Are they so rich they can spend that kind of money on a gig they have only a passing interest in...

You can sort of live with it at music but for comedy and spoken word acts it's unforgivable...
    It really does drive you closer to the front, doesn't it? But you can't do that at an all seater.
    I was at Henry Rollins spoken word once and he asked the crowd if they weren't interested in what he was saying, in which case he could just take the money and go back to the hotel... he did mutter at the end "maybe it's some sort of cultural thing" which he might have something in.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I don't understand people going to gigs only to watch it on the screen of their phone or tablet.

Why can't they just enjoy the moment? You can watch shaky videos anytime on YouTube! Really annoying when my view is obstructed by people's ipads.

It really does drive you closer to the front, doesn't it? But you can't do that at an all seater.
    I was at Henry Rollins spoken word once and he asked the crowd if they weren't interested in what he was saying, in which case he could just take the money and go back to the hotel... he did mutter at the end "maybe it's some sort of cultural thing" which he might have something in.

I was at one of his shows years ago and it just spoiled the atmosphere. The 'heckling' was actually quite mild by the standards of what you get at Irish comedy gigs but seemingly he's used to people sitting in respectful silence everywhere else. If it is indeed a 'cultural thing' it's not one that would fill you with pride...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Birneybau wrote: »
    Wow, worst crowd ever. The usual talking/shouting bullsh!t.

Didn't hear any talking, but there was some gobshite behind us shouting "I love you Morrissey", every ten minutes.

Worse still were the feckin egits trying to get to the front with trays of beer!!! At a gig? WTF?

Anyway, it was a decent show, but I reckon it's possibly something of a farewell thing and I could have done without the Texas Chainsaw Massacre in the middle of 'Meat is Murder' TBH.

I haven't been to "The Point" since I saw Morrissey and Bowie play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Morrissey sounded class but my god I have never been in a worse crowd. Granted its a crap venue as its essentially just a big warehouse, but bloody hell it felt like I was the only one that was a Morrissey fan.

People with arms folded, hands in pockets. Some chatting away to each other. It felt like I was the only one singing along with arms in the air.

It was my first time seeing him live. I really hope I get another chance.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Didn't hear any talking, but there was some gobshite behind us shouting "I love you Morrissey", every ten minutes.
    joe123 wrote: »
    Morrissey sounded class but my god I have never been in a worse crowd. Granted its a crap venue as its essentially just a big warehouse, but bloody hell it felt like I was the only one that was a Morrissey fan.

Anyone thinking what I'm thinking?:P

Re the indifferent crowd, a former work colleague who went to see him a few years ago said he was disturbed by the degree of idolisation, and this guy is an old Smiths fan from back in the day. There's probably a happy medium there somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Everyone knows that he is (still) ill, but to make the jump that he is dying, its the last gig etc is a fairly large jump to make!?

People with arms folded, hands in pockets. Some chatting away to each other. It felt like I was the only one singing along with arms in the air.

Granted, the atmosphere wasnt the best but I have been to 6 gigs at the new point now and a couple have had ridiculously good atmospheres, as good as I have experienced anywhere anyway! Noel Gallagher especially coming to mind but I think its a very good venue and very easy to get in and out of and to get around

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

Granted, the atmosphere wasnt the best but I have been to 6 gigs at the new point now and a couple have had ridiculously good atmospheres, as good as I have experienced anywhere anyway! Noel Gallagher especially coming to mind but I think its a very good venue and very easy to get in and out of and getting around

yeah the queens of the stone age gig had a great atmosphere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

everlast75 wrote: »
    Everyone knows that he is (still) ill, but to make the jump that he is dying, its the last gig etc is a fairly large jump to make!?

Big time. People are going on like it was Glen Campbell on his last tour after he was diagnosed with alzheimers. Moz is only 55.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

First time seeing Morrissey and I really loved it thought his voice sounded great. I've listened to the new album a lot since the summer so I wasn't put off by the World Peace Is None Of Your Business-heavy setlist. Hopefully I'll get to see him live again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

What's wrong with this!? Some people can still enjoy concerts without singing the songs themselves. I'd rather hear Morrissey sing than 2 guys either side of me singing to be honest. Nothing wrong with singings at gigs of course, but not everyone goes there as a 'singer'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,045 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

some people get free tickets and go for a laugh

Advertisement