Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morrissey. Dublin. Dec 1st 2014.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,045 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was at one of his shows years ago and it just spoiled the atmosphere. The 'heckling' was actually quite mild by the standards of what you get at Irish comedy gigs but seemingly he's used to people sitting in respectful silence everywhere else. If it is indeed a 'cultural thing' it's not one that would fill you with pride...
    i wasn't impressed with the last show i saw henry perform in vicar st. It was one of those shows (jello biafra too) that might seem crazy to Americans, but not so interesting here....the whole show was about a trip to N korea....if a mate went i'd be interested in hearing his story, but i wouldn't pay him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Think we got lucky to see Morrissey at all....

Looks like tonight's gig in Athens has been postponed

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭markmacken

They're at every gig, it's best to try and ignore it.

I often see people talking at gigs during the songs, then when the song ends, they clap, when everyone else claps, but then when the next song starts they continue to talk.:mad:

I've said to "talkers" before that they're ruining a show for me after I paid good money for a ticket. They normally stop then, and I've never had it thrown back in my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭davidrowe

markmacken wrote: »
    I've said to "talkers" before that they're ruining a show for me after I paid good money for a ticket. They normally stop then, and I've never had it thrown back in my face.

I just move away from anyone who's talking. It's easier, and it means that you don't start talking either. And even if you never get any aggro, it's a whole lot less awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

i wasn't impressed with the last show i saw henry perform in vicar st. It was one of those shows (jello biafra too) that might seem crazy to Americans, but not so interesting here....the whole show was about a trip to N korea....if a mate went i'd be interested in hearing his story, but i wouldn't pay him!

Henry seems to include the stories and his experiences travelling, in his spoken word shows, with a bit less emphasis on the American politics angle covered by Jello Biafra.

Were you at the show Jello Biafra did in the Temple Bar Music Centre in October 2001? He covered the issue of American foreign policy and the 9/11 attacks.

In 2001 and 2003 he covered, among other topics, the issue of the legal row with the other Dead Kennedys members and the reissuing of the bands albums on Manifesto Records.

I remember he mentioned the band in 2003 in the Temple Bar Music Centre because he made reference to the band touring with Brandon Cruz during the show and someone shouted up from the crowd that they had played on the same stage on which he was standing. They played there in June 2002.

I guess most of the audience paying to see either Henry or Jello would agree with their outlook on music and political issues, so maybe it's a bit like they're preaching to the converted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

some people get free tickets and go for a laugh

You're in the wrong place there with Morrissey for starters...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Corholio wrote: »
    What's wrong with this!? Some people can still enjoy concerts without singing the songs themselves. I'd rather hear Morrissey sing than 2 guys either side of me singing to be honest. Nothing wrong with singings at gigs of course, but not everyone goes there as a 'singer'.

So much wrong with it in my opinion. Literally standing at a gig with arms folded or hands in the pockets look like you are bored out of your mind.

The one time it picked up was with Every Day is Like Sunday. People can still sing along but you can easily hear Morrissey. Get into it for feck sake!

Couldnt get over how bad the crowd were. I was at the National recently and I wouldnt know much of their stuff but the crowd were absolutely savage.

Someone said above that there is a happy balance between over idolising and the arms folded/hands in pockets which I would definitely agree with. Having it on a Monday night probably didn't help as some people may have had work the next day so couldn't drink etc.

I can't help but feel I missed out on a truly great Morrissey gig because the crowd were so lackluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

joe123 wrote: »
    So much wrong with it in my opinion. Literally standing at a gig with arms folded or hands in the pockets look like you are bored out of your mind.

The one time it picked up was with Every Day is Like Sunday. People can still sing along but you can easily hear Morrissey. Get into it for feck sake!

Couldnt get over how bad the crowd were. I was at the National recently and I wouldnt know much of their stuff but the crowd were absolutely savage.

Someone said above that there is a happy balance between over idolising and the arms folded/hands in pockets which I would definitely agree with. Having it on a Monday night probably didn't help as some people may have had work the next day so couldn't drink etc.

I can't help but feel I missed out on a truly great Morrissey gig because the crowd were so lackluster.

Only reading this now.

I'm one these hands in pockets people at certain gigs.

I don't pay money to go to a gig and pretend I can sing all the words and wave my hands round for no reason.

I take it all in watch what's going on around me listen and applaud at the end of the song if I enjoyed it. If u have fair few drinks on you it can be different obviously.

Not everyone needs to show how much fun there having to enjoy a gig.

Me mate standing beside me I dunno I've lost count of how many times he's seen him ha but he was more or less same as me he stood there chilled out and enjoyed it.

Will I tell you out straight what issue was with that crowd? It was full of pretentious hipster pricks the kind all over Dublin these days. Most them didn't know what was been sang in front of them they where just there because there everywhere lately!

You didn't get that at Vicar Street when he played few years ago you got mostly older fans even plenty from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,045 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Guys, what you are discussing here is what i call "three arena syndrome"....if your band is big enough to fill the 3 arena, then the compromise is that at least 3-4k people..
    1. are there with mates, and couldn't care less
    2. are there to cross another act off their bucket list
    3. got free tickets
    Also ....i read an article in the evening herald about this gig, by a twat that should never be allowed in the door of a venue...anyway he went to a morrissey gig and got offended by the vegetarian videos! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Whilst I agree with "How Soon Is Now" I can see where "Joe123" is coming from. It is good to have a energetic atmosphere at a concert, but in this case I don't think the show really asked for it. The set list was heavy on mid tempo ballads with focus on lyrics, vocal ability, and of course musicality, and it really can't be said enough of just how incredible a singer Morrissey is, I have seen him a lot over the years and this is the strongest performance I have seen from him, absolutely nailed it, all night long. It must also be said the band were in fine form too, with Gustavo Manzur offering a real virtuoso element.

I think this show would have been better in a fully seated 3 Arena, or better again in a more intimate setting like Grand Canal Theatre. I have never felt the urge at concerts to jump around in order to enjoy myself or display to the performer that I am a fan and indeed enjoying myself. I have bought a ticket and turned up , I listen to the songs and performance and hope the artists are in good form, and in this case they certainly were! treasures like Morrissey are one of a kind, I feel for the people who won't realise this in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

That's possibly the most pretentious thing I have ever read on here :o

Only reading this now.

I'm one these hands in pockets people at certain gigs.

I don't pay money to go to a gig and pretend I can sing all the words and wave my hands round for no reason.

I take it all in watch what's going on around me listen and applaud at the end of the song if I enjoyed it. If u have fair few drinks on you it can be different obviously.

Not everyone needs to show how much fun there having to enjoy a gig.

Me mate standing beside me I dunno I've lost count of how many times he's seen him ha but he was more or less same as me he stood there chilled out and enjoyed it.

Will I tell you out straight what issue was with that crowd? It was full of pretentious hipster pricks the kind all over Dublin these days. Most them didn't know what was been sang in front of them they where just there because there everywhere lately!

You didn't get that at Vicar Street when he played few years ago you got mostly older fans even plenty from the UK.

I would agree with what you have stated here.

I like to stand watch the band play. That I don't shout and roar and jump about banging into people and wave my arms about the place and elbow people in the head in the process and then push myself into a bunch of my mates who push me back before losing my balance and falling over during the gig, doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it.

I can't understand how people jumping around can actually concentrate on hearing and seeing bands play at gigs.

At Slash recently during Night Train, there was a guy 'singing' along to Night Train so loud that I could hardly hear Myles Kennedy sing and at Peter Gabriel last Wednesday there was a guy singing along to Biko so loud that I found it very distracting and found it hard to hear Peter Gabriel sing.

I didn't go to hear someone behind me or beside me drown out the vocals of the singer!:mad:

Perhaps I should have turned to each of them and tried to convince them they'd be much better singers if they sang in silence!:)

Whilst I agree with "How Soon Is Now" I can see where "Joe123" is coming from. It is good to have a energetic atmosphere at a concert, but in this case I don't think the show really asked for it. The set list was heavy on mid tempo ballads with focus on lyrics, vocal ability, and of course musicality, and it really can't be said enough of just how incredible a singer Morrissey is, I have seen him a lot over the years and this is the strongest performance I have seen from him, absolutely nailed it, all night long. It must also be said the band were in fine form too, with Gustavo Manzur offering a real virtuoso element.

I think this show would have been better in a fully seated 3 Arena, or better again in a more intimate setting like Grand Canal Theatre. I have never felt the urge at concerts to jump around in order to enjoy myself or display to the performer that I am a fan and indeed enjoying myself. I have bought a ticket and turned up , I listen to the songs and performance and hope the artists are in good form, and in this case they certainly were! treasures like Morrissey are one of a kind, I feel for the people who won't realise this in time.

Even though the Grand Canal Theatre has a larger capacity than the Olympia or Vicar Street, I would say there was more at Morrissey than the Grand Canal Theatre could hold.

Perhaps it was held in the 3Arena because there is no in between size venue?

Often, fully seated shows can be a bit too formal. I saw Horslips in the National Concert Hall two years ago and the ushers were trying to get this one chap - who was enjoying the gig playing air guitar or whatever - to sit down in his seat for most of the gig.

He ignored them by moving to an empty seat further central on the row so it was harder for them to get his attention.

Eventually they gave up and soon after everyone else stood up and it was more enjoyable, just less formal. The same happened when The Beach Boys played there a few years ago.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

Get into it for feck sake!

Dance Monkey, dance!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ts_editor

Odyssey Arena, Belfast
    Tue 24 Mar 2015

Seated £49 & £44
    Standing £44

On sale Fri 16th Jan, 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

ts_editor wrote: »
    Odyssey Arena, Belfast
    Tue 24 Mar 2015

Seated £49 & £44
    Standing £44

On sale Fri 16th Jan, 10am

I shall be there!

As dingy as the Odyssey is, it still has the goods on the lifeless 3Arena!

Advertisement