Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Extension Wall construction

Options
  • 03-09-2014 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi

I am currently in the process of pricing a 39sqm extension to the rear of my house. The original house is constructed of 9 in cavity block with 40mm internal insulation (brrrrr). I have had a number of builders come to quote on this job and as budget is extremely tight I have to look at the initial most cost effective solution that is within building regulations.

Some builders have suggested go with 9in cavity block to match the existing house and put 100mm insulated board internally

Others suggested build of inner leaf 100mm Block, 120mm hd insulation, 30mm air cavity and an outer leaf 100mm block

Could I please get some opinions as to what is best / most cost effective solution
    (I have tried search but couldnt find info I needed)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Do not dryline especially when you have the opportunity to put in the cavity. as this is just an extension maybe just pump the 150mm cavity with bonded bead.

where are your drawings and specification? Sounds like you could do with someone in your corner..

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

Thanks for your advise Brian, haven't got specification drawings, probably shouldn't even be attempting build budget is that tight. Its a very basic extension nothing out of the ordinary just looking to get the best solution I can afford.

Advertisement