Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Custom House Harbour IFSC - electricity

Options
  • 03-09-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi,
    A friend and myself will be renting in Custom House Harbour.
    Unfortunately it is all electricity.
    I'm just wondering what we should expect in terms of electricity, as well as for heating?
    To those renting there currently what's the average electricity usage/bill?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No one can give you an exact idea, as you haven't given us enough information to go on. For example, how big is the apt, what appliances (dishwasher, dryer, washing machine) will you be using, how many people are living there, what is the BER rating of the apt, what kind of heating does the apt have etc etc. If you give a bit more information, it would be more helpful.

I lived in Custom House Harbour for 18 months. I can't give you an exact breakdown of my elec bills as it was nearly two years ago. However, the apt I was in was always very warm. They were built nearly 30 years ago to a higher standard that is built today. I was on the 5th floor and the heat traveled up from the stairwells and lift shaft to my floor. Storage heaters were the norm in apts and will be the norm unless the landlord has taken them out and put in something else. They don't give out great heat, but we (two people) generally put the heat on for an hour in the morning (to heat the water & have the apt warm when we got up) and for an hour in the evening & the apt was always nice and toasty. We never had to put the heat on in the summer. The rest of your elec bills will all depend on your usage of appliances, lights etc. No one here can tell you what that will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman_321

Hi ProudDUB
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah you are right, apologies.
    I can't remember what the BER rating - I don't think there was one on the ad, nor do I know what the heating this (I'm starting to realize I'm going to into this almost blind ha).

Just the 2 of us living there, so it is a 2 bed apt. Reasonably big, on average size, I reckon like other apartments in Custom House.

There is heating, washing machine + dryer, dishwasher . No gas, all electric. Well I have my laptop and monitor with some other accessories, same with my colleague. But I doubt it uses much - unless when it switches from idle to intensive mode. Max is 200 watts though.
    There is internet as well.

Btw, is it possible to ask for keys to our rooms? I would like to have a key for my room... Not that I don't trust my colleague.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What floor are you on? If there are occupied apartments around you you might get away with no heating, happened to me when I lived above a Londis with apartments either side once.

Ah that sounds very fortunate. I'm on the top floor though. And basically stepping outside gives me a view of the canal.
    So I can guess that won't help during winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Heat rises, you never know.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Heat rises, you never know.

I certainly hope so.

Another quick question. A bit unrelated but I'd rather not create a new thread.

I would like to take my computer desk to the apartment with me.

It is over a distance of 15km.

So I posted an ad on logideals just to deliver **only** the desk for me while I take my luggage by bus.

The first and also the lowest bid so far was 45 euro, someone posted 50 euro after.

I'm starting to think it might be the same or better with a taxi if I get my luggage and desk plus some other stuff in one go.

Or am I terribly wrong?

Advertisement