Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have some cyclists a death wish?

• 03-09-2014 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭

This may be seen as a venting, but I have been worried about this for some time as I have had two near incidents myself and what I saw to day takes the biscuit.

As cyclists please please keep a safe distance from the back of tractors and trailers, to day I saw a cyclist who was no more then three feet from the back of a tractor and trailer and there was no way the driver of the tractor could have know the cyclist was there, so god forbid he had to stop suddenly we all know what would have happened especially when traveling at around 40km and hour.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Lambofdave wrote: »
    This may be seen as a venting, but I have been worried about this for some time as I have had two near incidents myself and what I saw to day takes the biscuit.

As cyclists please please keep a safe distance from the back of tractors and trailers, to day I saw a cyclist who was no more then three feet from the back of a tractor and trailer and there was no way the driver of the tractor could have know the cyclist was there, so god forbid he had to stop suddenly we all know what would have happened especially when traveling at around 40km and hour.

He'd have gone into the baaaaaaaack of him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Three feet is grand. Plenty of swerving space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

mathie wrote: »
    He'd have gone into the baaaaaaaack of him?

And been seriously injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Lambofdave wrote: »

Aboy Dave!!
    Give him a left hook next time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Three feet is grand. Plenty of swerving space.

you obviously know nothing about the width of a tractor or trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭3102derek

But it's great for the strava segments ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Tractor drafting is a God given right. Outta my cold dead hands !

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

I think it is not so much that some cyclists have a deathwish, but the cycle to work taxback scheme has bought a rash of cyclists onto the roads that don't fully appreciate the risks because they weren't cycling from a young age and took up the hobby in adulthood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Back in the day, I used to draft Dublin busses keeping within a meter of the back of the bus. The 65 to Blessington was always a good bus to get behind.

Maybe it wasn't the cleverest thing to be doing but I was a teenager and it was a buzz. While I never hit the back of a bus, I did get a dirty face from the sooty deposits that came out of the exhaust.

Would I draft a tractor...................maybe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Did you notice if the trailer had a number plate and working brake and indicator lights?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

You'd wonder alright, I often see cyclists taking needless risks or simply taking what could be considered as 'dangerous' manoeuvres on the roads.

I once observed a cyclist on the dual carriageway travelling from the jack lynch tunnel toward sarsfield road roundabout, when I saw her she was cycling over the Douglas flyover section to which there is absolutely no space at the side of the road for any cyclist, all it would take is for some idiot looking down at their phone for a brief moment to clip any cyclist at that particular section of the road, and even navigating your way to safety after the flyover where the road from Douglas links onto the dual carriageway is death wish material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

From the charter
    There are lots of places on the internet where you can have a rant about cyclists. This isn't one of them. This is a place for people with an interest in cycling to discuss cycling. If you treat it as a venue for holding all cyclists to account for perceived or actual misbehaviour by some, you can expect to find your access swiftly removed. In short, we are not your punching bag. If you really do want do want an answer to your gripe, do a search. The usual topics, such as cycle lanes, cycling two abreast etc. have been discussed, ad nauseam, many, many times before

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement