Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maybe selling house, is it worth upgrading windows?

Options
  • 03-09-2014 9:39pm

So I'm thinking about selling my house next year.
    Its in a nice part of sth Dublin & other houses in my estate are going sale agreed within 2 weeks of being on the market.
    Thing is, it needs two new front windows, now I don't think they would be a block to selling it as there's houses in worse nick flying off the market.

But, I don't think I can do another winter with a cold bedroom/sittingroom.
    Would it really be worth my while getting new windows when the house will sell anyway?
    I don't want to throw away money if I don't need to. Would I be wasting the few bob I could be saving for when I need to buy again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Does it currently have single or double glazing? And how much off your asking price are you willing to be haggled?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

bubblypop wrote: »
    So I'm thinking about selling my house next year.
    Its in a nice part of sth Dublin & other houses in my estate are going sale agreed within 2 weeks of being on the market.
    Thing is, it needs two new front windows, now I don't think they would be a block to selling it as there's houses in worse nick flying off the market.

But, I don't think I can do another winter with a cold bedroom/sittingroom.
    Would it really be worth my while getting new windows when the house will sell anyway?
    I don't want to throw away money if I don't need to. Would I be wasting the few bob I could be saving for when I need to buy again?

Once you get the use out of it, it's not being wasted. Although if it's double glazed, I wouldn't.
    If it's single glazed, it'd knock some money off the sale price, how much is hard to guess though, but as you'd be getting the use of it, then I'd fire away. At least you'll be comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No wouldn't be worth doing. Buyer may also want a certain style of window instead of what you put on.

It is double glazed, but its old timber double glazing and is getting rotten.
    I think the house will sell no matter, but if its up against another house that doesn't need windows it maybe second.
    It doesn't seem to matter what the house is like, obviously a very fresh well done up house will sell quicker, but I reckon it will sell anyway.
    I just don't know if its worth spending the money, given that it will sell.
    I don't know, I just don't want to waste 4000 euro, but maybe I won't notice, if the house goes up by more than that in the next 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, have you had the BER rating of the house assessed? Would putting in new windows make a big difference to the BER rating? If it does, it may be worth your while to put them in. Prospective buyers take that kind of stuff into account. They are the ones who will be on the hook for high heating bills, due to old & drafty windows, not you. Prospective buyers are not going to decide for or against your house, based purely on its windows. But the overall cost of heating the house will be something that they take into account, when deciding whether or not your house is for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BER won't change much as it doesn't assess the condition of double glazing, just the presence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

it wont add any value and if like you say its not going to be an impediment for sale then its not worth upgrading the windows based on the sale.

now the question is is it worth upgrading the windows for your comfort for the next year before you sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

I would go ahead and change the windows probably with standard upvc double glazed ones. If you only need two windows you're probably talking under 2k if you shop around. I'm currently looking at doer uppers and windows represent security as well as insulation. Even if I didn't like them I would pay more if they were done.

Advertisement