Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips for dealing with a "prickly" boss

Options
  • 03-09-2014 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

A new boss I have is a little defensive and I guess "prickly" . Thing is it can be quite hard to figure out what she is talking about, so I generally need to ask a few questions before I can do what ever it is. This applies to things like find this file, search for this document etc.

Any tips on how to deal with this ?

Also I can be a bit super sensitive so I might be reading too much into the whole situation :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

InReality wrote: »
    A new boss I have is a little defensive and I guess "prickly" . Thing is it can be quite hard to figure out what she is talking about, so I generally need to ask a few questions before I can do what ever it is. This applies to things like find this file, search for this document etc.

Any tips on how to deal with this ?

Also I can be a bit super sensitive so I might be reading too much into the whole situation :)

Are you unable to find the file/search yourself without help?

Can you asked more experienced colleagues?

Or is it a case of your boss expecting you to know stuff you haven't been expected to know before?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

The examples you provide are very basic tbh. If I asked someone to search for a document or find a file I'd expect they could do so without asking questions of me. Otherwise, I might as well just get it myself.

You mention that she is a "prickly" boss. Maybe she's just very busy?

I agree with Stheno - ask a colleague (if you have any) for advice. That would be the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

If she is new, she probably cannot advise you where to find the file, that is why she is asking you. A few hours spent familiarising yourself with file management in the office and looking up tips on searching for documents on a computer or server, ideally with the help of a colleague there longer than you will ensure these demands are very simple requests.

Advertisement