Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

stray cat has just had kittens

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Funny I though these forums were for discussion, not bowing down to the almighty clique who think they know better then everyone else.

How can you possibly say you have more experience then anyone on the forum? What a ridiculous statement.

I have stated my opinion based on my own experience for the benefit of the OP and I have no further wish to discuss it with you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Rips wrote: »
    Funny I though these forums were for discussion, not bowing down to the almighty clique who think they know better then everyone else.

Rips, if you have a problem with a post, report it, as opposed to resorting to back-handed comments towards the entire forum. It's not only back-seat moderating, in this case it is pretty inflammatory.
    There are two opposing views going on here, which is fine: that is what discussion is about, as long as everyone remains respectful. I haven't seen much evidence of disrespect until your post.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

please guys can we get back to what this is all about me having no experience of kittens and their semi feral mother

i posted because i wanted advice and up to now have got lots of little bits and pieces which seems to be working great at the moment

so please can we keep this on topic

thanks jimf

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Jimf, any chance of seeing some photos in the next few days, without disturbing the little family too much?
    Pretty pleeeeeeease....

new home

where she has them is next to impossible to access when we check on them you have to crawl under a heavy hedge and then its only with a torch you can see them about 3ft further in

it would really mean having to disturb the ground and hedge around the den and i think its too soon yet if she was tame i would have no problem but my big concern would be that she moves them and i may not be able to find them again

how we found them in the first place was a stroke of luck as i asked a neighbour to keep an eye out and he spotted her going in and out of this area often enough in the few days previous so she was obviously looking for a little safe place to have them

checked them again around 9pm when she called for her nightcap

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Awh, that's a pity, definitely better to leave it then... Sounds like she chose a brilliant super-safe spot! Good Mammy cat! :)

will do my best to get a few photos over the next few days

but be warned im not the best with a camera so be prepared

hope ye like photos of cats arses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

LOL Jim! :D

jimf wrote: »
    will do my best to get a few photos over the next few days but be warned im not the best with a camera so be prepared

hope ye like photos of cats arses

Oh yes please! NO, I DO NOT MEAN IT like that... but at least we won't be wondering for a million posts if they're guys or gals, like in some other thread we all know of... :D;)

• Advertisement

no problems like that in limerick their all def shemales

:eek: TMI, Jim, TMI...

well its a safe assessment at the moment until I get nearer so I cant be wrong

its the only info at hand atm

just checked and their eyes are just starting to open tonight

got 2 photos but too far away and with them been black just cant make them out

sorry new home I tried

Yay for kitties! Thanks Jimf, don't worry... I'm sure they're gorgeous... and anyway, black is the new black, I hear....

Now, would you have the phone number for the Springwatch/Autumnwatch crowd? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

just checked and their eyes are just starting to open tonight

got 2 photos but too far away and with them been black just cant make them out

sorry new home I tried

I have a black cat and whenever I take a photo of her she just looks like a black lump! Sometimes she's lying really cute with her chin on her paws, I take a pic... the pic is just a black cat shaped lump! :o:o:o:o

• Advertisement

I had one like that too, pitch black - you could only make out the eyes because they were twinkling... Damn them and their stealth cloaks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have an elderly ginger cat here, who when younger thought he was invisible when crouched in the grass, we used to joke his cloaking device was faulty.
    No wonder he never caught more than a spider!

I love black cats, but never had one, they look so sleek and beautiful.
    Love this thread, waiting for the first baby pics!

Edit: ginger puss blended in very well with daughters teddies on her bed, so maybe his cloaking device wasn't so faulty. ;)

so the fun begins a certain little mother has moved her babies

so the search begins again oh females are they ever happy

Wish I could help...

Hi Jimf, any joy with the "treasure hunt"? Hope you found them all safe and sound and snuggly in their new "nest"...

I'm having very severe kitten withdrawal syndrome....

• Advertisement

no joy I keep loosing the little fecker in a thick hedge

but id say she still has them close by because when I get up in the morning and open the door she is there in a couple of mins squeaking her hole off waiting to be fed

Aaaaawh, bless... I bet you can't see the wood for the trees, in that hedge... :pac:

Now, why don't you just invest in a pro-go camera and tie it to the cat already, like any normally insane person would? That, or a GPS tracker... :D

Yes, I'm definitely a genius and I definitely have the bestest ideas ever...

was out last night with a torch walking around the neighbours property if im caught what are the chances they will believe me when I say im looking for a cat and her kittens

lets see me talk my way out of that one

What do you think, that they'll take you for a cat burglar? (I'm on a roll tonight, with all these puns... sorry...)

Don't panic, we'll vouch for you!!!

its ye vouching for me im worried about

my main concern is now is the time I should be starting to handle them I don't want them to be getting feral as Im pretty sure I have homes lined up for them

Hi Jimf, any news for us? :)

no joy im afraid spent another 2 hours this morning searching

shes still coming to be fed and I caught her yesterday and its quite obvious she is still suckling the kits

I don't know what to try next there about 17 days now so should be getting active but time is not on my side handling wise

That must be so frustrating... I'm sure you'll find them soon...

New Home wrote: »
    That must be so frustrating... I'm sure you'll find them soon...

fingers crossed new home I feel like a failed daddy :eek:

its frustrating to know they are so close but she is a smart little fecker she goes off now in different directions and doubles back on herself so im chasing shadows trying to follow her

• Advertisement

fingers crossed new home I feel like a failed daddy :eek:

She's fighting you for custody... You should have paid alimony when she asked! :D;)

You're not a failed daddy, you keep trying, and failed daddies don't do that... :)

Hi Jimf,

Considering the distinct lack of news on Kitten Cobblepots' side, I thought I'd annoy you instead... :D

How are things at your end with your slippery little guests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Hope there is some news of the future moggy world leaders. For all the addicts out there, horizon has a programme on bbc at 8 about the adventure and ramblings of the revered moggy:-)

still no joy on finding the little shcits but mammy is still calling about 5 times daily to be fed so I can only presume she is regurgitating the food for them at the moment that's if cats do I know and have seen dogs do it myself the weaning process is probably well underway at this stage so hopefully she will bring them visiting soon

Take-away cat style :eek: ewh...

I actually don't know if cats do that, but if she isn't she's probably hunting little preys for them as well as breastfeeding and she needs all the extra calories she can get... and yes, I agree, they'll probably call for a visit very soon... I must say, they're excellent hide-n-seek players! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the update, Jimf :)

my worry now is they will be feral its a pity if they are because im pretty sure I had good homes lined up for them

but ive never given up without a fight and not about to start now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Did you ever find them Jimf?

no im sorry to say but I have spoke to a farmer about 1/4 mile from me and he has seen 3 black kittens in his barn and a black and white cat that fits the description of the mam im happy knowing their safe and he is good as well in that he will feed them in sure

im a bit surprised she never brought them to visit but I suppose as I have 5 springers she may have decided it was not safe

I spoke to my local vets and have her booked in for the snip next Monday that's providing I can catch her im quite confident I will as she has really mellowed towards me in the last few months so its thick gloves time Monday for me

she is still calling daily for food even as I type she is just tucking into some left over from dinner roast beef

maybe somebody might be able to advise me please having spoken to the vets and explained my predicament re she being semi feral and not being able to confine her long term

they have said once I can keep her indoors overnite after the op they will use dissolving stitches and long acting pain med she should be ok to leave her back to her usual haunt 24 hours after

is this ok any dangers of infection etc im hoping she will keep calling as usual and I will be able to keep an eye on her

jesus im such a worrier re animals id have to be holding a leg in my hand to go to my own gp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

maybe somebody might be able to advise me please having spoken to the vets and explained my predicament re she being semi feral and not being able to confine her long term

they have said once I can keep her indoors overnite after the op they will use dissolving stitches and long acting pain med she should be ok to leave her back to her usual haunt 24 hours after

is this ok any dangers of infection etc im hoping she will keep calling as usual and I will be able to keep an eye on her

jesus im such a worrier re animals id have to be holding a leg in my hand to go to my own gp

I did the same with the feral mammy that left me with 3 kittens (which i tamed, fostered and have actually ended up keeping) :o

Got her neutered in February, as it happened she was held overnight at the vets as this was the day of the hurricane winds and we couldn't collect her, so following morning when i got her back she was released and had no issues at all

thank you angerfire that's what I wanted to hear a little less stressed now about the whole episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Trap her first thing in the morning before she has breakfast, they recommended to me that i trap her the night before but i didn't fancy having her in my house for two nights with 5 other cats in residence in case it stressed her out too much
    I trapped her on the morning when she arrived looking for breakfast, she was neutered in the afternoon, collected following day and off she went
    She didn't return for food for 2 days (sulking somewhere) but is back twice a day now for the last 6 months happy out

she usually arrives about 8ish in the mornings my thinking was a small feed on sunday evening so she is hungry Monday and sure to arrive for brekkie fingers crossed it goes to plan

sorry meant to update guess who was missing Monday until 7.30 pm so we are going to try again on Friday

as im in the busy season work wise I could not arrange anything sooner fingers crossed we get there this time

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

New Home wrote: »
    jimf is the new damagegt :D;)

You're a good soul jimf....:) xxx

• Advertisement

You're a good soul jimf....:) xxx

thank you gsw :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

thank you gsw :o

:) xxx

hi everybody

meant to update this thread ages ago to let everybody know the outcome lizzy as she is now known was eventually trapped by yours truly about the end of nov 2014 and the evil deed was done

she now resides with us still a come and go cat but now comes in when she feels like it but does not like the door closed

she really is a beautiful cat and she is very well settled we love her dearly and she is quite happy to sit on our lap but does not like been held

rgs jim

a further update on the famous lizzy or as she is now known queen lizzy

as the weather got colder lizzy decided that a spot in front of the stove was more to her highness liking she is now more resident indoors than out

she has also developed a brilliant friendship with our little mixed grill bichon/maltese/yorkie they share the couch and the quilt in front of the stove they are just the best of friends we all look forward to lizzy arriving to come in the greeting they have for each other is amazing

god love her she has even learned how to play with a few toys that molly has lying around

rgs jim

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

a further update on the famous lizzy or as she is now known queen lizzy

as the weather got colder lizzy decided that a spot in front of the stove was more to her highness liking she is now more resident indoors than out

she has also developed a brilliant friendship with our little mixed grill bichon/maltese/yorkie they share the couch and the quilt in front of the stove they are just the best of friends we all look forward to lizzy arriving to come in the greeting they have for each other is amazing

god love her she has even learned how to play with a few toys that molly has lying around

rgs jim

That's a lovely update :)

There is a fab cat toy that I can't remember the name of, it's like a yoyo, and doesn't cost an awful lot, that she might enjoy, if someone here knows what it is, they might post it up and you might decide to give it a try :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement