Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queue to buy houses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm hoping they're shills for development company. Didn't watch the video - were the people interviewed? Did they seem like real people?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭NightOfTheHunt

Thoie wrote: »
    I'm hoping they're shills for development company. Didn't watch the video - were the people interviewed? Did they seem like real people?

One of them is 23 years old and working in retail, with €30k saved for the deposit and €250k mortgage offer on the table.

How dare you question the authenticity of these people!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

One of them is 23 years old and working in retail, with €30k saved for the deposit and €250k mortgage offer on the table.

Based on the 3.5 times your salary (is that a thing?), I'm in the wrong job. Unless...

♫Her name was Lola...♫

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Based on the fact renting a shoddy bedsit has soared to 650 a month and beyond I am not in the least surprised! Even if you got a house to rent out you would do well! Landlords in this country would make you sick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Where's their NAMA?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Queues are not necessarily because houses are nice nor good value, they are because they are for sale and right now what is rare is desirable.
    jay-me wrote: »
    Based on the fact renting a shoddy bedsit has soared to 650 a month and beyond I am not in the least surprised! Even if you got a house to rent out you would do well! Landlords in this country would make you sick!

Landlords can only put rent up to market rate, if there are a lot of tenants vying for each property, it would be ridiculous not to expect the rent to be set at that rate. You may be sick, but if you move a side just a little, the people coming in behind you want to rent the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

taken from another website's article
    he houses, 45 of which are three beds, have been built to strict new building guidelines, and as a result are bigger (1,280sq ft) than the average built during the boom, and all come with high A3 energy ratings. The prices of the properties are fixed and will be between €280,000 and €290,000 for three beds

if there are anyway big queues, I'd expect the sellers to add another 100k to the price by Saturday.
    and the fools will pay it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Couldn't believe it myself when I saw the news. Though Swords is a high demand area in general and has (or had) the fastest growing town population in the country. There are a good few multinationals here and it's close to the M1/M50 so a perfect urban town for many people. And then there's the airport just down the road, which is a huge local employer.

Combine this with the shortage of houses and complete lack of new homes being built in the area and you have what we see here. Celtic Tiger? I'm not so sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Lack of supply yet again driving the Dublin market. Enda et al. would want to pull the finger out here and start stimulating the construction sector in Dublin in particular. More people working, more stamp duty, more property tax etc. Win win. Our economy should not be judged on how expensive a 3 bed semi in D4 costs, although the media and the government seem convinced that that is the key performance indicator of growth at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One would wonder if someone has fronted up a bit of cash to these people. €500 to park outside a development for week? Grand job. Get a journo down there to light the fire and then watch the name of the development and the developer get splashed all over the news. Hey presto, prices go up.

Dublin isn't that short on property yet that queueing up is necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

How can they queue up all week? I know one person said she is taking it in turns with her fiancé, but the rest of them? Have they not got a job to go to? Did they take a few days annual leave to queue up to look at a house??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

My initial reaction is as above. But looking more closely, it appears that only a handful of people are queueing for 60 houses. It looked like 6 people in the footage. Hardly back to the Tiger days when desperate queueing buyers completely outnumbered the properties available.

In other words this is a non-story, which curiously seems to be receiving a considerable amount of frenzied coverage in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

seamus wrote: »
    One would wonder if someone has fronted up a bit of cash to these people. €500 to park outside a development for week? Grand job. Get a journo down there to light the fire and then watch the name of the development and the developer get splashed all over the news. Hey presto, prices go up.

There were people sleeping in their cars overnight for the latest development near Aikens Village in Stepaside. This was around 6 months ago.. pure madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    How can they queue up all week? I know one person said she is taking it in turns with her fiancé, but the rest of them? Have they not got a job to go to? Did they take a few days annual leave to queue up to look at a house??
    *cough*
    One would wonder if someone has fronted up a bit of cash to these people. €500 to park outside a development for week? Grand job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Clearly it is and has been for some time now. Especially where new good quality houses are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

My initial reaction is as above. But looking more closely, it appears that only a handful of people are queueing for 60 houses. It looked like 6 people in the footage. Hardly back to the Tiger days when desperate queueing buyers completely outnumbered the properties available.

In other words this is a non-story, which curiously seems to be receiving a considerable amount of frenzied coverage in the media.

I would imagine, as I think someone else has suggested above, they have been given a little sweetener by the developer or the estate agent to create a bit of hype and frenzy over these houses.

Another thing I noticed it that the potential buyers queuing are actually quite young IMO. Early 20's. Me & hubbie considered ourselves lucky to be first time buyers last year being late 20's/early 30's and being largely in full time employment throughout the recession so far (touch wood!). Did we do it wrong?!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Hypothetically speaking - If you were to rent out one of the two bedroom houses how much would you expect to get in rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Hypothetically speaking - If you were to rent out one of the two bedroom houses how much would you expect to get in rent?

450 at the moment. Maybe 500

??? Per week I take it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

??? Per week I take it?

Per month. And looking at it there, 400 would actually be more like it for a double room.

Per month. And looking at it there, 400 would actually be more like it for a double room.

I'm confused!!!! What are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

2 bed properties are renting for 1200 a month in Swords, not 400...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

These houses? Do they come with decking, or would I have to sort that out later?

drumswan wrote: »
    2 bed properties are renting for 1200 a month in Swords, not 400...

Yeah sounds more like it - And if the standard and the interest in these are as stated you could probably increase that by €200 per month?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

I'm confused!!!! What are you on about?

quadrifoglio verde is talking about renting a bedroom and you're talking about renting the full house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

You'd wonder how heavily the Irish media outlets are invested in the Irish property market? They seem to do their best to fan the flames whenever possible. Me thinks their pension plans are heavily skewed towards Irish property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

endacl wrote: »
    These houses? Do they come with decking, or would I have to sort that out later?

I think they come with a free patio heater if you buy today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

EunanMac wrote: »
    I think they come with a free patio heater if you buy today

I'm in so!

Advertisement