Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN's

Options
  • 04-09-2014 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi im just after realizing that i'm being throttled by my ISP from 20mb/s to 1.5mb/s on bittorrent.

And i was wondering is there and good free VPN's that support Ireland, Im only 18 and im broke most of the time so paying for one isent an option unless pretty cheap and worth it. :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭blackbullet

try this zenmate its only for chrome i use it all the time

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

LukeyKid wrote: »
    Hi im just after realizing that i'm being throttled by my ISP from 20mb/s to 1.5mb/s on bittorrent.

And i was wondering is there and good free VPN's that support Ireland, Im only 18 and im broke most of the time so paying for one isent an option unless pretty cheap and worth it. :P

Depends on who's sharing it. Some torrents can be very slow and that's due to other uploader's upload speed, rather than your download speed. Someone must upload it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

Mr. G wrote: »
    Depends on who's sharing it. Some torrents can be very slow and that's due to other uploader's upload speed, rather than your download speed. Someone must upload it to you.

I understand how it works :) no it wasn't to do with do with there speed, I restarted my computer just to make sure that everything was working right.
    And went straight on to speed test.net and i was getting 17+ mb/s which is normal.
    Then i went and opened up Bittorrent and then back straight down to 1.5mb/s repeated this 4 -5 times happened every time i opened up bittorrent or utorrent.

Blackbullet: Ill try that thank you :)

Really like some help, any other way to stop this throttling its getting really bad :/ at less then a MB the hole time and its really annoying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Are you sure your BitTorrent app isn't throttling itself? There are defaults on how many torrents you can download and what's the max speed the application can use, have you changed these?

• Advertisement

Are you sure your BitTorrent app isn't throttling itself? There are defaults on how many torrents you can download and what's the max speed the application can use, have you changed these?

Nope i changed nothing and i'm using http://www.speedtest.net/ to check my internet speed and this is what is drop from 17mb to 1.5 when ever i open utorrent or bittorrent.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I understand how it works :) no it wasn't to do with do with there speed, I restarted my computer just to make sure that everything was working right.
    And went straight on to speed test.net and i was getting 17+ mb/s which is normal.
    Then i went and opened up Bittorrent and then back straight down to 1.5mb/s repeated this 4 -5 times happened every time i opened up bittorrent or utorrent.

Blackbullet: Ill try that thank you :)

Try torrenting CentOS and see how it downloads. There are usually a lot of uploaders on those to rule out issues with a particular torrent.

Don't forget the difference between MB/s and Mb/s, 8 bits in a byte. Bittorent measures speed in bytes, so 1.5MB/s = 12Mbps, which on a 17Mbps connection isn't bad.

Mr. G wrote: »
    Try torrenting CentOS and see how it downloads. There are usually a lot of uploaders on those to rule out issues with a particular torrent.

Don't forget the difference between MB/s and Mb/s, 8 bits in a byte. Bittorent measures speed in bytes, so 1.5MB/s = 12Mbps, which on a 17Mbps connection isn't bad.

Okay thanks :) That is working better im getting 1MB/s on that so why is my internet speed on speedtest.net going down to like 1.5 Mb/s and lower ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Okay thanks :) That is working better im getting 1MB/s on that so why is my internet speed on speedtest.net going down to like 1.5 Mb/s and lower ?
    Are you downloading torrents while testing your speed? Speedtest only checks how fast you can download from their site, if you're downloading torrents at the same time, you won't have the same amount of bandwidth available to download from them

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Just to proactively note something to avoid any grief here, discussion of VPNs is allowed, but discussion of VPNs to enable copyright infringment or any unauthorised access isn't, so bear this in mind.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    Just to proactively note something to avoid any grief here, discussion of VPNs is allowed, but discussion of VPNs to enable copyright infringment or any unauthorised access isn't, so bear this in mind.

Not being smart but does downloading torrents automatically mean illegal activity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Not being smart but does downloading torrents automatically mean illegal activity ?

I download Linux versions using torrents all the time, also Raspberry Pi images.

Xantia wrote: »
    I download Linux versions using torrents all the time, also Raspberry Pi images.

But that's what i mean its not when ever some says bittorrent or utorrent its straight away suspected to be illegal activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Using knife to cut slice of bread is legal, cutting somebody's head off with it - not so legal.
    Its not when ever some says knife or axe its straight away suspected to be illegal activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

1. You are not being throttled, torrents max out at ~1.5MB/s
    2. If your internet is over 10Mbps, consider Usenet.

Why you ask?
    854621311a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

or just learn how to use xbmc. The best thinks in life are free

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

I used to download Linux distros, now I just stream them....

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

you mean now you just netinstall them right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

If the OP is torrenting without using a VPN or similar then he could be in for a rude surprise. An expensive rude surprise.

For people who do actually have a few quid, I strongly suggest using a VPN for many reasons, 2 of them are:
    When your ISP looks at your data crossing their servers and it is encrypted they usually will not throttle you if they cannot identify what you are doing (but they may throttle because of raw usage).
    If you want to browse without having NSA, GCHQ or other feckers looking at what you are doing then VPN is the job... or TOR ... but TOR is looking a bit ropey at the moment.

Not all VPN's are the same. Make sure that no usage logs are stored (many keep connection logs for a short while) and pick a country that allows a lot more personal privacy, like Holland. I use cactusvpn and this is the kind of thing you should be looking for https://www.cactusvpn.com/support/faq-general/#q7

BigEejit wrote: »
    If the OP is torrenting without using a VPN or similar then he could be in for a rude surprise. An expensive rude surprise.

For people who do actually have a few quid, I strongly suggest using a VPN for many reasons, 2 of them are:
    When your ISP looks at your data crossing their servers and it is encrypted they usually will not throttle you if they cannot identify what you are doing (but they may throttle because of raw usage).
    If you want to browse without having NSA, GCHQ or other feckers looking at what you are doing then VPN is the job... or TOR ... but TOR is looking a bit ropey at the moment.

Not all VPN's are the same. Make sure that no usage logs are stored (many keep connection logs for a short while) and pick a country that allows a lot more personal privacy, like Holland. I use cactusvpn and this is the kind of thing you should be looking for https://www.cactusvpn.com/support/faq-general/#q7

Okay thanks everyone for the help :) and im after getting the free trial for cactusVPN and i was just wondering whats the best protocol

PPTP , L2TP , OpenVPN , SSTP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Is there any other VPN /SmartDNS service providers who allows more countries - like Finland, Denmark,Germany... etc?
    Most of them offers only USA and UK + 2-3 more countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    Is there any other VPN /SmartDNS service providers who allows more countries - like Finland, Denmark,Germany... etc?

I use ghostpath,it has approx 40 different countries :)

Okay thanks everyone for the help :) and im after getting the free trial for cactusVPN and i was just wondering whats the best protocol

PPTP , L2TP , OpenVPN , SSTP
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=The+Differences+Between+PPTP%2C+L2TP%2FIPSec%2C+SSTP+and+OpenVPN+Connection

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    Instead of looking at the number of countries I looked at the privacy standards and risk of my data getting into the wrong hands of the countries themselves.

Have a look at http://nomadcapitalist.com/2013/12/15/top-5-best-countries-host-website-data-privacy/ and ended up using the Netherlands because it has a very high privacy standard while also having excellent peering. Other countries that have high privacy standards are Norway and Romania.

Instead of looking at the number of countries I looked at the privacy standards and risk of my data getting into the wrong hands of the countries themselves.

Have a look at http://nomadcapitalist.com/2013/12/15/top-5-best-countries-host-website-data-privacy/ and ended up using the Netherlands because it has a very high privacy standard while also having excellent peering. Other countries that have high privacy standards are Norway and Romania.

Thanks for the help :) but id like to try this out with out having to pay but there very limited in the trial and i cant get a good connection.

I use Amsterdam 5 from cactusvpn and going full belt I get about 4 - 4.5MB/s (60mbit broadband)

I use Amsterdam 5 from cactusvpn and going full belt I get about 4 - 4.5MB/s (60mbit broadband)

The reason i want one is so i can have my full 17MB/s all the time so i cant be throttled and i can browse and download an little more private.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

The reason i want one is so i can have my full 17MB/s all the time so i cant be throttled and i can browse and download an little more private.

You mean 17mb/s, right?

degsie wrote: »
    You mean 17mb/s, right?

Okay i'm just after reading about this because there is clearly a big difference :P

But im still a little confused about it, So my broadband speed is 17 megabits/sec so i'm getting 2.1 megabyte download speed ? correct ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Okay i'm just after reading about this because there is clearly a big difference :P

But im still a little confused about it, So my broadband speed is 17 megabits/sec so i'm getting 2.1 megabyte download speed ? correct ?

Correct m8 :)

Advertisement