Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN's

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

wiz569 wrote: »
    Correct m8 :)

Yes im getting there thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

When you have a VPN going, it will use some of your bandwidth for the encryption, I dont know how much though tbh. You will notice that my 60mb only gives 4 -4.5MB when it should be closer to 8MB but VPN's rarely give me line speed because my network provider plus their servers throttle my maximum back a bit.

wiz569 wrote: »
    Correct m8 :)
    BigEejit wrote: »
    When you have a VPN going, it will use some of your bandwidth for the encryption, I dont know how much though tbh. You will notice that my 60mb only gives 4 -4.5MB when it should be closer to 8MB but VPN's rarely give me line speed because my network provider plus their servers throttle my maximum back a bit.

Okay fair enough but with my 20mb broadband i lose quiet a bit of speed and its slower then usual i only have main problems when using bittorrent so i dont no if thats a big enough issue to get a vpn it has went bad a couple of times on youtube and facebook but its not that bad in general. so if it get worse i will really consider a vpn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

LukeyKid wrote: »
    Okay fair enough but with my 20mb broadband i lose quiet a bit of speed and its slower then usual i only have main problems when using bittorrent
    How would a VPN help? From what you're saying, your general browsing is slow while you have bittorrent open? That's because bittorrent is using most of your bandwidth. A VPN will not change that

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

But im still a little confused about it, So my broadband speed is 17 megabits/sec so i'm getting 2.1 megabyte download speed ? correct ?

Transmission rates (adsl/fibre/mobile etc) are measured on Mb/s. Data transfer rates (eg. pc file copy) are measured in MB/s.

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    How would a VPN help? From what you're saying, your general browsing is slow while you have bittorrent open? That's because bittorrent is using most of your bandwidth. A VPN will not change that

No i don't mean mean while i'm using bit torrent i just mean once bit torrent is open my internet gets really slow it doesn't have to be downloading anything. And yes its the proper bit torrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

No i don't mean mean while i'm using bit torrent i just mean once bit torrent is open my internet gets really slow it doesn't have to be downloading anything. And yes its the proper bit torrent.
    If you're not actively torrenting at the time, how could your ISP be throttling you? Your ISP can't tell whether the bittorrent application is open or not

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

If not downloading anything are you seeding (uploading) anything?

If not and it only happens when you open your bit torrent client,I would suspect malware of some kind m8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Maxing out your upload speeds will kill your download. Ack packets need to be sent in your upload stream so squeezing them because of upload constraints will affect download.

Advertisement