Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The baggio brothers, of course, are not related

• 04-09-2014 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭

Was thinking about this tonight while watching Ireland play Oman. Missed the start of the game and watched one fellow with Oman written on the back of his shirt pass to another with Oman written on his shirt. Thought it was strange that two lads called Oman played for Oman...then realised my mistake :o
    Anyway, was wondering how many brothers have played international football for their country.
    Could only think of the Charltons, Inzaghis, de Boers, Nevillers and Toures off the top of my head
    And the Boatengs, I suppose, even though they represented different countries.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Both Hazards have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

David and Pierce O'Leary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

For Ireland I can think of a few:

Actually Played together 3 times (+1 where P'OL was sub for D'OL):
    David O'Leary & Pierce O'Leary

Both capped but never played together
    Liam Brady & Ray Brady
    Stephen Quinn & Alan Quinn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Here's a story about Eidur Gudjonhnsen and his father
    On 24 April 1996, Guðjohnsen and his father Arnór entered football history when playing in an international friendly for Iceland against Estonia in Tallinn. Arnór started the match, and Guðjohnsen came on in the second half as a substitute for his father.

Both father and son have later expressed bitterness at the fact that they were not allowed to play together in the match. The president of the Icelandic FA, Eggert Magnússon (later of West Ham United) gave the coach, Logi Ólafsson, an express order to not play them together because he wanted it to happen on home turf, when Iceland played Macedonia two months later in the first qualification round for the 1998 FIFA World Cup.[35]

As it happened they never got another chance because a month after the game in Estonia the younger Guðjohnsen broke his ankle, playing for the Icelandic U18 team against Ireland. He had difficulty coming back because of undiagnosed tendinitis in that ankle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

The Laudrups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Ronald and Erwin Koeman.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

John and Mel Charles (Wales)
    Franco and Giuseppe Baresi (Italy)
    Richard and Rob Witschge (Netherlands)
    Danny and Jackie Blanchflower (Northern Ireland)
    John Arne Riise and his brother who played for Fulham (Norway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Fabio and Rafael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Bonventure and Salouman Kalou (Ivory Coast)
    Mbo and Emile Mpenza (Belgium)
    Hakin and Murat Yakin (Switzerland)
    Siem and Luuk de Jong (Netherlands)

I wanted to say the Ferdinands but looked up Antoine and he never got a full cap. Guy Demel of West Ham and Sagbo of Hull both played internationally but they're half-brothers

Gibbs and Chamberlain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The Bender twins

Oh and Stephen Caldwell and Gary Caldwell both got capped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Frank and Ronald DeBoer. How many other twins are there? Rafael and Fabio were mentioned - does Fabio have a cap?

Andy Goram.

Andy Goram.

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

Frank and Ronald DeBoer. How many other twins are there? Rafael and Fabio were mentioned - does Fabio have a cap?

Andy Goram.

Shouldn't laugh.....sh1t just did
    8-10 wrote: »
    Huh?

From wiki
    After it was reported in the press that Goram had a mild form of schizophrenia, fans responded with a chorus of "Two Andy Gorams, there's only two Andy Gorams".[8] This chant quickly gained popularity, and became the title of a book documenting humorous football chants.[9]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Van Der Kerkoff twins played in 74 and 78 World Cup Finals (Rene and Willy).

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Jordan Lukaku could join Romelu if he earns his first cap tonight after being called up for Belgium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Jon Evans and his brother (corrie?) play for the North.

Neville brothers for England.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Andy Goram.
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Clive & Bradley Allen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Stephen and Noel Hunt.

How about uncles and nephews who played together?

I'll start - Ian Harte and Garry Kelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Christian and Max Vieri both played internationally with (Italy and Australia)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

What about the Boetang brothers playing against each other in the World Cup, that would be fairly unique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Rafinha and Thiago Alcantara could play for Spain together, although it looks like Rafinha might choose Brazil.

Their father, Mazinho, won the World Cup with Brazil in 94. If either or both of his sons go on to win a World Cup that'll surely be unique?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Andy Goram.
    Too class.

Weren't there two Yakins? Brothers?

And there were the two Belgian lads who were supposed to be amazing, but never really made it big.
    Mpenzas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pat Dolan & Eamonn Dolan I know they played under 21's for Ireland.

I think they may have 1 senior cap as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Pat Dolan & Eamonn Dolan I know they played under 21's for Ireland.

I think they may have 1 senior cap as well.

Nah, only u21, no senior caps between them

21/25

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Danny and Jackie Blanchflower.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

And the Boatengs, I suppose, even though they represented different countries.

De Guzmans are the same. Jonathan(formerly Swansea) plays for Netherlands and Julian plays for Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

Jordan and Andre Ayew have both been capped for Ghana, and played at Marseilles together, but I think Jordan moved elsewhere in the last window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Don't think they've been mentioned yet, so Victor Wanyama and McDonald Mariga. A third brother Thomas Wanyama has also been capped by Kenya and their dad was an international too.

Collins John and Ola John have both played for the Netherlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Simone & Filippo Inzaghi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

How about Yaya & Kolo Touré

Don't know for sure, but i presume they have played together for Ivory Coast

Collins John and Ola John have both played for the Netherlands.

I think John Collins and Collins John played together at Fulham at one point,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Giovani and Jonathan dos Santos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

In a similar vein Liam Bradys Great Uncle Frank Brady Sr played for Cork LOI side Fordsons and was an International with them in the 1920s.

Liams brother Pat who played with Bray side Transport (Irelands oldest Football ground) also won international caps.

Another of Liams Brother although not an Irish international played with various clubs in England (Pat)

Liams Other Brother Frank Jr played for Shamrock Rovers and played in the European Cup winners cup and also in Australia professionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Wilson, Milton, Jerry & Johnny Palacios (Honduras)

Jonathan, Lorenzo, Alvin and (cousin) Teaonui Tehau, (Tahiti). Remember them at the 2013 Confed Cup?

In a similar vein Liam Bradys Great Uncle Frank Brady Sr played for Cork LOI side Fordsons and was an International with them in the 1920s.

Liams brother Pat who played with Bray side Transport (Irelands oldest Football ground) also won international caps.

Another of Liams Brother although not an Irish international played with various clubs in England (Pat)

Liams Other Brother Frank Jr played for Shamrock Rovers and played in the European Cup winners cup and also in Australia professionally.

Quite a bunch of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Berezutski twins for Russia and CSKA. Any other twins, particularly identical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Berezutski twins for Russia and CSKA. Any other twins, particularly identical?

Lars & Sven Bender

tumblr_lnyht0W5eI1qjocxo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

The Wellbeck twins been mentioned yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Wilson Palacios has 3 brothers who have been capped by Honduras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sir Bobby and Jack Charlton.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Weren't the Biyicks in Cameroon's 1990 team brothers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Dave Barry the former Cork City player and manager and GAA player (and blacklisted by the GAA) and scorer of a famous goal

His Grandfather won an FAI Cup medal (Bobby Buckle ) and his Great Grand Father Harry Buckle won international Caps for Ireland.

Harry Buckle was playing for the same team as Liam Bradys Grand Uncle around the same time as far as I can gather. They mightnt have played together however.

The Casciaro brothers are in action for Gibraltar v Poland tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Palacios brothers , 3 of them I believe played for Honduras, and 3 lads for Gibraltar tonight, didn't catch their names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

8-10 wrote: »
    The Casciaro brothers are in action for Gibraltar v Poland tonight
    Palacios brothers , 3 of them I believe played for Honduras, and 3 lads for Gibraltar tonight, didn't catch their names.

The post above you you silly goose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The post above you you silly goose!

facepalm.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement