Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    How bad would it look if I missed my first day of college because I was passed out in a field in Stradbally?

I spent most of first year passed out anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭roll

exilec wrote: »
    See James are playing festival 6 (http://www.festivalnumber6.com/). same weekend as electric picnic with a lot of the same bands . Would love to see them play the picnic ...

I'd take King Creosote myself, but James would be good...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    How bad would it look if I missed my first day of college because I was passed out in a field in Stradbally?

meh, nothing really happens on first day of college, I'm sure you can get timetables etc online :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Full eight minute version of the new Hopkins track.

Looks like half of boards will be at the Jon Hopkins set at EP!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭deeceemee

Eco Camping Details for EP by BYEco Camping on Facebook:

Ok guys fantastic news very short notice yet you have the weekend to spread the word to any Eco minded friends.
    The date of release will be Monday the 6th July smile emoticon
    Please fill in the on line application on the EP website smile emoticon
    Thank you guys see you all there smile emoticon
    Remember we leave the field as we found it smile emoticon bring only what you need and take away every thing you bring smile emoticon
    We will have a simple recycling system for you to follow smile emoticon
    Happy camping x

Register Early..All places were taken up with registration within 2days last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

That's a lot of smile emoticons. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

good smile emoticon news smile emoticon

Done eco at B&S and it was awesome. Less crap knocking about and the general vibe was pretty chilled out and good. Plenty of space too. I'm sure EP will be bigger and busier but still gona go for it fo sureeeeeeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Spiritualized are playing the Moseley Festival in the UK on the Same wkend as the Picnic, i wonder if there's any chance they'll be announced in the next release.

They were amazing supporting Patti Smith in Kilmainham last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

deeceemee wrote: »
    Eco Camping Details for EP....

Register Early..All places were taken up with registration within 2days last year!

Is there a cost for registry or is it free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Quite a few bands at Festival No 6 and Moseley I'd like to see at Picnic actually. Hmm...

Everything Everything, Gaz Coombes, Young Fathers and Spiritualised would be the main ones.

Can anyone explain the popularity of Catfish & the Bottlemen or Years & Years to me though please? Have given both quite a few goes and just can't get into it at all!! Maybe Catfish...'s stupid name has put me off and there's no coming back from it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

thunderdog wrote: »
    Looks like half of boards will be at the Jon Hopkins set at EP!

elevator music

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

s8n wrote: »
    elevator music
    i'd love to go on whatever elevators you go on

lc180 wrote: »
    Is there a cost for registry or is it free?

No mention of a cost. I think its just first come first serve but dont hold me to that. 800 places allocated for it this year, 400 last year so its doubling in size. Not sure where its location will be on site, no word on that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Quite a few bands at Festival No 6 and Moseley I'd like to see at Picnic actually. Hmm...

Everything Everything, Gaz Coombes, Young Fathers and Spiritualised would be the main ones.

Can anyone explain the popularity of Catfish & the Bottlemen or Years & Years to me though please? Have given both quite a few goes and just can't get into it at all!! Maybe Catfish...'s stupid name has put me off and there's no coming back from it...

Whatever about Y&Y, Catfish are decent imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

cson wrote: »
    Whatever about Y&Y, Catfish are decent imo.

You can throw British Sea Power into that mix, one of the most original and innovative guitar bands over the last 15 years, they are amazing live!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

s8n wrote: »
    elevator music

Ha ha that's what my brother called Hopkins when he heard his music, one persons boredom is another's poison.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Gaz and Catfish are both playing Longitude as far as I'm aware, would love to see them at the EP!!!! Been a Gaz to EP campaigner for years.

Watch the Catfish and the bottle men's Glasto set (I you haven't already) its cracking, might give you a better idea ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

deeceemee wrote: »
    Eco Camping Details for EP by BYEco Camping on Facebook:

Ok guys fantastic news very short notice yet you have the weekend to spread the word to any Eco minded friends.
    The date of release will be Monday the 6th July smile emoticon
    Please fill in the on line application on the EP website smile emoticon
    Thank you guys see you all there smile emoticon
    Remember we leave the field as we found it smile emoticon bring only what you need and take away every thing you bring smile emoticon
    We will have a simple recycling system for you to follow smile emoticon
    Happy camping x

What's the deal, keep the place clean, put rubbish in the bin and take all ur **** home?
    Are you guaranteed a place once you've registered?

Fatfrog wrote: »
    What's the deal, keep the place clean, put rubbish in the bin and take all ur **** home?
    Are you guaranteed a place once you've registered?

Yup thats it in a nut shell...Oh and be sound to your neighbours :cool:.

Once you register you have your place, first come first serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Not usually the biggest fan of Jon Hopkins but his set at Glastonbury looked brilliant. Surely he would be perfect for the Electic Arena, but maybe he would clash with Underworld then. How big is the Electric Arena compared to the Midnight Circus tent at Body & Soul? He had that place wedged last year.

Midnight Circus would be about the same size as the Little Big Tent, capacity for 1,500 I think.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I actually hope Jon Hopkins clashes with Underworld. Anything to separate the wheat from the chav...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I actually hope Jon Hopkins clashes with Underworld. Anything to separate the wheat from the chav...

trans_banner.png

Synode wrote: »
    trans_banner.png

No, but I've seen Underworld live 5 times, and there's invariably a bunch of absolute knackers hanging around waiting for Born Slippy. I've no interest in seeing Underworld again, but I'm gonna embrace the fact that they'll pull a lot of the tramps away from the other 'dance' acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

trans_banner.png
    What is a music snob? Someone that thinks certain music is ****e?

That makes me a snob.

Do the people that don't consider themselves music snobs agree that Jedward are artists that deserve respect? As do their fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ah lads go away you're wrecking my future buzz

What is a music snob? Someone that thinks certain music is ****e?

I'd call someone who posts stupid statements like knackers will go see Underworld, just for Born Slippy, a music snob

I'd call someone who posts stupid statements like knackers will go see Underworld, just for Born Slippy, a music snob

Any big-name act with a couple of recognisable dance tracks will attract their fair share of heads. This is 16 years of festival experience talking. Have you never been to a festival in the UK or Ireland before? Have you never seen The Chemical Brothers, Faithless, Daft Punk or The Prodigy live? EP is never that bad because the crowd is generally decent, but does anyone here remember Underworld at Creamfields in 2002?

The only exception to this was Orbital. I remember both they and The Chems clashed at Oxegen years ago. I seen 30 minutes of each. The difference between the crowds was, I'll be polite, noticeable.

Incidentally, The Prodigy, circa The Fat of the Land, were the funniest for this. You'd see all the white boiler-suits and glow-sticks heading toward the stage, and then eventually walking away when they realised that, contrary to popular opinion, The Prodigy were't actually a dance act.

Call me a snob if you want. I love all of the acts I've just mentioned and I've seen them all countless times. I couldn't care less what other people listen to. I just don't like dirt-birds.

I've been going to dance gigs and festivals for nearly 20 years. I get what you're saying, it just comes off as snobbish. At the end of the day, most people are there to have a good time. I've never in all my years at gigs seen any trouble, and I've seen all of the above any many, many more

I've been going to dance gigs and festivals for nearly 20 years. I get what you're saying, it just comes off as snobbish. At the end of the day, most people are there to have a good time. I've never in all my years at gigs seen any trouble, and I've seen all of the above any many, many more

I've rarely seen any 'trouble' either, in terms of fighting, etc. So I'm not talking about trouble.

My experience is very simple - certain types of music/acts attract certain types of people. I call a spade a spade. It you think that's snobbish then fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Ah come on lads, it's a cold hard fact that dance gigs attract toe-rags in sizeable numbers.

But I don't think anyone is going to pay €200+ for a ticket to EP just to see Underworld, so it's probably not an issue here.

What's a lot more likely is that a load of people who've no real interest in dance music or Underworld will rock up, wait for Born Slippy to come on, and then head off. That's my plan anyway...

Edit: the best/worst example of this I ever saw was Jose Gonzalez at Oxegen a few years back. Got a big crowd, then he played that 'Heartbeats' song from the Sony ad and I'd say 90% of people (me included) bailed out after that. He wasn't pleased.

Advertisement