Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I have to say I agree with the organise yourself better. I missed out in 2013 by not getting my shít together in time. (I had only moved back to Ireland though so ignorance is bliss)
    I have since made sure to get the installment plan. We had our tickets booked the day after we returned from EP in September so as to avail of the cheap price.
    I'm not flush but €50 a month is managable.

Now, off to polish me spoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Paddy2012

the reason they're stopping them from selling the tickets over face value is to discourage touts from buying out all the tickets and then selling them on at their inflated price. contrary to what people may think, the price of a ticket is based on a lot more than the sum of the cost of the acts divided by the number of spots available.

Electric picnic would rather people buy the ticket for 150 and spend 150 euro on drink and food at the stalls inside the festival, than spend 300 euro on a touted ticket and not have any money to enjoy themselves at the festival

Its a nice idea but on stubhub UK there are currently tickets starting from nearly £300 and other sites like gumtree where you can charge inflated prices. If the popularity of the festival continues to increase maybe a better idea would be to introduce a Glastonbury like photo ID system?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭oseia

Does anyone know when they let applicants know whether they get to volunteer or not? Or if it's easy to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭dublinjen

Guys any advice for buying tickets online ? - Im meeting in person in a public space, he says he'll give me his bank statement for when he bought them....my anxiety levels are high - its including boutique camping and he's making a loss by maths

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

What did you apply for as volunteers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

dublinjen wrote: »
    Guys any advice for buying tickets online ? - Im meeting in person in a public space, he says he'll give me his bank statement for when he bought them....my anxiety levels are high - its including boutique camping and he's making a loss by maths

Meeting the guy in a public place only protects you from the risk of being mugged and your cash taken. I don't think that's an issue.

Giving you his bank statement is only of value if it's a full statement with his name and address on it, and he can prove that he is actually the guy named on the statement.

If he's bought a ticket plus boutique camping but now can't go, maybe he just wants rid of the tickets to recoup his substantial costs and is willing to take a small hit, but if it's a big loss to him, then maybe it is too good to be true...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

dublinjen wrote: »

Just to be pessimistic (+ I'm not sure if EP are doing them this year), but if it's a print out paper ticket, the bank statement obviously only shows that he paid for it once. Could have multiple copies of the same ticket...

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭oseia

What did you apply for as volunteers?

Mainly stewarding work I think but everything and anything really. Applied ages go so I can't really remember. Saw since I applied that joe.ie and her.ie both had posts up telling people to apply so after that I thought I probably wouldn't have much of a chance of getting it 'cause a lot would have applied when they saw that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm sick of people with no tickets crying about the price tickets are going for now , u had 9 months to get tickets before it sold out . I don't see why sites like done deal are blocking people from selling tickets over face value , if somebody has something to sell and people are willing to pay crazy prices for it then leave them at it . U don't see them blocking anyone else from selling half the crap they have on done deal that most people wouldn't take away for free

We're an event junkie nation. People jumping on a bandwagon in fear of missing out on the session. Always been that way - take one look at the GAA Hurling Championship for example; you rarely break 50k in attendences up to AI Final day but then boom you can't get them for love or money. 30/40k session moths making up the difference in Croker. I know that's not the connotation everyone has with session moth (Urban Dictionary it); these people are like a moth to sessions. Or a fly to ****e. Or whatever description you want to throw at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Only went to Longitude on the Sunday but I'm dying for EP after it. Chemical Brothers were unbelievable. Hopefully Underworld put on as good a show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Longitude really got me in the mood for picnic now, even if the crowd reminded me of Oxegen at its worst.

Not long to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    Its a nice idea but on stubhub UK there are currently tickets starting from nearly £300 and other sites like gumtree where you can charge inflated prices. If the popularity of the festival continues to increase maybe a better idea would be to introduce a Glastonbury like photo ID system?

Only glastonbury does that because the demand is insanely high and its the eavis' calling the shots who have a bit of ethics to them and not a faceless promotor.

There are thousands who bought tickets early with the attitude "sure i'll sell em off if i can't go".If you go the "sh1t or get off the pot " photo id route the option for sending them back and refunded gets way harder so sales would be a good bit slower, until people start to fully make their minds up. Promotors want more than anything to see steady early sales because of the cash flow risks involved, even for something they are confident will sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

It's a shame that it is now accepted by a whole bunch of people without tickets that they need to spend 300+ to get a ticket. They are helping create the conditions that mean they have to. Touts don't create tickets (assuming they are genuine), they buy out of the general supply. If people stuck to their guns, waiting until closer to the festival, a whole bunch of people with tickets they were hoping to profit from (either by buying them for that purpose or having them because they intended to go but can't now) would be more than happy to take face value for them. Really all fighting touting needs is a bit of self control, patience and trust. If the new capacity numbers are correct I have a feeling there might just be a glut in the week before the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?59,548515

That's a good read from Trent Reznor on the mechanics of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Toast wrote: »
    If people stuck to their guns, waiting until closer to the festival...

Alternatively, if people didn't wait until the last possible minute to buy, they wouldn't be in the situation either.

Like, this isn't Garth Brooks we're talking about, tickets were freely available via legit channels at face value for what, nine months? And most people buying would qualify for early-bird discounts and there is even the instalment plan for people who don't have full whack in one go.

If anyone is paying an inflated price now, well, I'd have limited sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

proudi wrote: »
    hahaha
    MadYaker wrote: »
    I'm still holding out for Kanye West :pac:
    I think that was a gag, playing on unrealistic expectations for new announcements.

Well that's a tad embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

oseia wrote: »
    Mainly stewarding work I think but everything and anything really. Applied ages go so I can't really remember. Saw since I applied that joe.ie and her.ie both had posts up telling people to apply so after that I thought I probably wouldn't have much of a chance of getting it 'cause a lot would have applied when they saw that.

No harm in sending a quick email to catherine@electricpicnic.ie just to be sure you are still in there or even volunteers@electricpicnic.ie as I have a few of these to correspond with Catherine Kehoe the EP volunteer coordinator.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Oseia also are you a member of the Electric Picnic Volunteers Facebook group, I can add you to this too as you can also get in touch with Catherine through here, the facebook page can also be used to carpool or get useful travel information to make it to the festival in non-festival days. https://www.facebook.com/groups/505417726151921/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

I wonder if the people complaining about ticket touts charging high prices do the same when the touts sell tickets for below face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

..... Why would anyone ever complain about scumbag touts having to cut their losses when touting didn't work out for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Slim1996

what day is the rave in the woods on and from what time anyone know

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Slim1996 wrote: »
    what day is the rave in the woods on and from what time anyone know

It's on everyday. Last year it was from 22:00 until 04:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

Don't bother going near it. That beat is just a generator.

You're ****ed; go back to the campsite and drink yourself to a one hour's sleep.

Sorry.

We were separated at birth! Can't resist those generator beats......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

maximoose wrote: »
    ..... Why would anyone ever complain about scumbag touts having to cut their losses when touting didn't work out for them?

Touts are scumbags? How on earth is somebody a scumbag for trying to make money selling tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ssmooney

This year is my first time at EP, can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each campsite? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ssmooney wrote: »
    This year is my first time at EP, can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each campsite? :)
    mostly just depends on the people around you. generally hendrix gets all the cool kids so if you want to live in a super shanty town that's your one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

ssmooney wrote: »

The poxy carnival in the hendrix campsite is the only real gripe I have with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

mostly just depends on the people around you. generally hendrix gets all the cool kids so if you want to live in a super shanty town that's your one

Hendrix has taken a massive dive in my estimations since that shagging funfair went in... I enjoyed Wilde last year, close to the Salty Dog and random wood trails, nicer entrance to the main arena, bit small and limited for food options if you're looking to eat in the campsite/have a sprawling campsite of mates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Touts are scumbags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭roll

Touts are scumbags? How on earth is somebody a scumbag for trying to make money selling tickets?

so you've no problem with people buying up tickets at €155 and selling them on at €300 when the whole thing sells out?!
    For that reason alone, I can see the organisers raising the early bird price, or worse, getting rid of it altogether!

Advertisement