Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Touts are scumbags

On what basis?
    roll wrote: »
    so you've no problem with people buying up tickets at €155 and selling them on at €300 when the whole thing sells out?!
    For that reason alone, I can see the organisers raising the early bird price, or worse, getting rid of it altogether!

No. Touts buying tickets and selling for a premium allow people to make up their minds about whether or not they'll go at a later time. If it wasn't for touts where would these people get their tickets?

If the organisers get rid of the early bird tickets then that's a good thing. Without early bird tickets we'll have less ticket touts. That's what you want isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

If it wasn't for touts where would these people get their tickets?

From Ticketmaster because the touts wouldn't have bought them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Haha! Free market/supply & demand are reasons for touting I can understand to a point, but:
    Touts buying tickets and selling for a premium allow people to make up their minds about whether or not they'll go at a later time. If it wasn't for touts where would these people get their tickets?

Is the most ridiculous reason I have heard. Yeah, what lovely lads they are :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

On what basis?

On the basis that they use people's love of something, often kid's with the like's of Ed Sheeran(or farmer's with Garth Brooks!), to fleece people out of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Synode wrote: »

Thought this would have been obvious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

THey had 9 months to buy them though. Again, they were up before Xmas and didn't sell out until recently. In the past I've bought early birds and if the acts didn't grab me or I couldn't go I just sold them for what I paid. There's never any shortage of people looking to buy so there's no risk involved and the payment plan/loyalty pricing softens the blow even more.

Genuinely can't think of any reason you'd be stuck now without one unless you're suddenly available when you thought you weren't. And guess what? There's a premium market there for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

On the basis that they use people's love of something, often kid's with the like's of Ed Sheeran(or farmer's with Garth Brooks!), to fleece people out of money.

I agree, like very marketing company in existence.

THey had 9 months to buy them though. Again, they were up before Xmas and didn't sell out until recently. In the past I've bought early birds and if the acts didn't grab me or I couldn't go I just sold them for what I paid. There's never any shortage of people looking to buy so there's no risk involved and the payment plan/loyalty pricing softens the blow even more.

Genuinely can't think of any reason you'd be stuck now without one unless you're suddenly available when you thought you weren't. And guess what? There's a premium market there for you.

You're reasoning in some ways is sound. But there's something not right about people making a killing on tickets they bought just to sell on. If they're not going, don't buy them - leave them to genuine fans. I've been on the end of some chancers trying to flog tickets for ridiculous prices. I've always said no. I'd rather not go than put money into those type of person's pockets. And I've also had spare tickets to get rid of - never sold them for anything above face value

And I've also had spare tickets to get rid of - never sold them for anything above face value

I'm exactly the same. I've bought a pair of tickets for every picnic since 2008, and I've only actually ended up going 4 times out of that. I've always sold the tickets for whatever price was printed on them.

My point is that if you've even an INKLING that you might go you don't have to be sat there hammering refresh at 9am. You have months before it sells out and you'll never have a problem getting your money back.

I forgot to pick up a ticket for Brand New in September even though they didn't sell out for weeks, but that's completely on me and I'm not going to cry about scalpers snapping them up. If you end up stuck with no ticket it's because you weren't prepared!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i believe wristbanding are still lookinf for staff also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

MattD wrote: »
    Hendrix has taken a massive dive in my estimations since that shagging funfair went in... I enjoyed Wilde last year, close to the Salty Dog and random wood trails, nicer entrance to the main arena, bit small and limited for food options if you're looking to eat in the campsite/have a sprawling campsite of mates though.
    I was in wilde last year it was nice except a guy near enough to us got thrown out for having a stanley and slashing tents and threatening people.. also stole some cans from us! other than that it was good there, not sure if it was last year or the previous year the exit up at the top straight into salty dog was handy. I think last year that was actually blocked off as was the close entrance into the main arena!

We booked into the Ecosite this year based on the fact that it was unbelievable at Body & Soul. It sounds snobby but it just attracts a better crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

On new acts; think The Kooks would be in with a shout. Zero tour dates between 26/8 and 19/9.

Would love Foals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

i believe wristbanding are still lookinf for staff also.

This is the people to contact for festival wristband work. http://www.eventease.ie/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Always Sunny

Shookrah confirmed on their FB page that their playing on the Sunday. Le Galaxie said they have news coming Friday. Hopefully there will be an announcement sometime this week or early next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ssmooney

I was in wilde last year it was nice except a guy near enough to us got thrown out for having a stanley and slashing tents and threatening people.. also stole some cans from us! other than that it was good there, not sure if it was last year or the previous year the exit up at the top straight into salty dog was handy. I think last year that was actually blocked off as was the close entrance into the main arena!

Think I'll give Wilde a go this year so. Thanks guys!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

:pac:
    This is the people to contact for festival wristband work. http://www.eventease.ie/

no it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

The whole debate as to "which camp site is quieter" "least amount of trouble" etc etc is amusing! Despite what anyone says, there isn't a pattern!!

The vast majority of people get funnelled through the woods, partially lost and then couldn't be bothered walking any further, plonk their stuff down in the first available decent spot they see.
    There's no logic to the order this happens in, it's purely random. You can be completely un/lucky with your new neighbours.
    Rather than thinking of the camps in their entirety, you need to break them down into smaller chunks of say x10 square tents. You won't really hear or see anything beyond this.
    When selecting a spot, I'd generally stay away from areas that are empty where piles more people have yet to arrive after I set up, instead I'll try to get the last'ish spot, that way I can partially suss out the people in this x10. Got it wrong plenty of times, but the general method would be to stay away from the durt burds and large groups!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

:pac:

no it is not.

They did, they done it last year and 2013 anyway as they also handle staff wristbands, I know the guy, he does wristbands for Body & Soul Festival too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Its 100% not. They have nothing to do whatsoever with issuing wristbands at any stage at the festival. Its all handled directly by the festival. Unless it might be wristbanding for the body and soul section of ep

• Advertisement

There is also a designated 'quiet camping area' at ep. Its I think if memory serves by the campervan entrance to the campsites

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Fatfrog wrote: »
    The whole debate as to "which camp site is quieter" "least amount of trouble" etc etc is amusing! Despite what anyone says, there isn't a pattern!!

The vast majority of people get funnelled through the woods, partially lost and then couldn't be bothered walking any further, plonk their stuff down in the first available decent spot they see.
    There's no logic to the order this happens in, it's purely random. You can be completely un/lucky with your new neighbours.
    Rather than thinking of the camps in their entirety, you need to break them down into smaller chunks of say x10 square tents. You won't really hear or see anything beyond this.
    When selecting a spot, I'd generally stay away from areas that are empty where piles more people have yet to arrive after I set up, instead I'll try to get the last'ish spot, that way I can partially suss out the people in this x10. Got it wrong plenty of times, but the general method would be to stay away from the durt burds and large groups!
    True to an extent.

I've camped in the same 10 square metres for the past five or so years so anyone that doesn't want an uptight prick beside them needs to stay clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭dublinjen

Fatfrog wrote: »

Very true, but I do think the proximity of Hendrix to the entrance coupled with the fairground attracts a 'gurrier' atmosphere. Was in there two years ago and there was a spate of tent robbings with people in the tents which was quite disturbing, hadnt seen anything like that at EP before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Also on the camping issue...

Avoid trees. Unless you like the smell / sound of people pissing.

I was near enough to the fun fair last year and it didn't actually bother me. I would always be awake by the time it boots up at about 11am and usually would be back after it had finished. I didn't spend much time in the campsite at all really, but maybe if I was there drinking all afternoon it would've bugged me.

As for safety and crowds - it's pure pot luck. I've been lucky with neighbours in the past. Never had any issue, the majority of people are there for a good time but you never know who is gonna be a bad drunk or be friends with the wrong person so just take it as it comes. I find that once you're not camping alone, you're fine. And, even if you are, you'll be fine. Unless you're acting the dick.

And if somebody else is already after buying those tickets?

So should we force Electric Picnic or the organisers of Ed Sheeran concerts to sell their tickets at face value? If it's wrong for touts to make money off tickets then surely it's wrong for everyone else to do it too?

I think I gave that guy a can. Lovely chap really. Apart from the stanley blade and overly aggressive attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Le Galaxie have "news coming this Friday".

Next EP announcement surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I think I gave that guy a can. Lovely chap really. Apart from the stanley blade and overly aggressive attitude.

I heard that during the good Friday agreement Tony Blair gave Gerry Adams a can and everything was grand from that point on!! True story!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

lc180 wrote: »
    Le Galaxie have "news coming this Friday".

Next EP announcement surely.
    My bet is that they're expecting a baby.

• Advertisement

And if somebody else is already after buying those tickets?

They too would be genuine fans. Not people looking to make money off them

Advertisement