Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

On the plus side - less clashes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Surely that means there'll be a further announcement again, cause that's pretty weak and still looks like there's gaps to be filled?

Right? Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Surely that means there'll be a further announcement again, cause that's pretty weak and still looks like there's gaps to be filled?

Right? Right?

there was another in mid-August last year, although pretty low-key:

Krystal Klear
    Jenny Lewis
    PHOX
    We Cut Corners
    The Minutes
    Vann Music
    Tvvins
    Booka Brass Band
    Sleep Thieves
    Spies
    The Academic
    The Raglans
    Orla Gartland
    Buffalo Sunn
    Daniel James
    Acrobat
    Wyvern Lyngo

Body & Soul was announced on July 30th last year.

there was another in mid-August last year, although pretty low-key:

Krystal Klear
    Jenny Lewis
    PHOX
    We Cut Corners
    The Minutes
    Vann Music
    Tvvins
    Booka Brass Band
    Sleep Thieves
    Spies
    The Academic
    The Raglans
    Orla Gartland
    Buffalo Sunn
    Daniel James
    Acrobat
    Wyvern Lyngo

Body & Soul was announced on July 30th last year.

Hopefully they're just switching the order of the low-key announcement then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭novemberskye

Pretty disappointing announcement today!

Going on my counting skills... Last year 90 acts were advertised in the (final) full line up and so far for this year including today's announcement it's only at 79.... Def more to be announced!

*only counting acts under the headliners not body and soul, trench town etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Really looking forward to seeing Girlpool and Shamir from the announcement. I remember coming out of Japes show in the Academy thinking how good it would go down at Picnic too. It'll be interesting to see where they'll put Villagers as he's playing a much more scaled back show on this tour, unless he brings the full band.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

Yeah, not an awful lot to get excited about there. Really enjoyed the debut from Here We Go Magic so that should be decent, Jape, Parquet Courts, Shamir and Son Lux prob worth a watch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

"There will be more acts announced as well as acts for Body&Soul, Red Bull Music Academy, Comedy, Mindfield and more."

EP replying to someone on FB

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

The Mindfield additions are what it's all about. Really holding out for Fionnachta o' Riordan, by all accounts he spins a mean yarn in the sean nós style.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The Mindfield additions are what it's all about. Really holding out for Fionnachta o' Riordan, by all accounts he spins a mean yarn in the sean nós style.

:pac:

I'm happy enough with Le Galaxie, Jape and Mano Le Tough though. I was really hoping for Kormac's Big Band though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

Was hoping that a few of the EOTR acts got added. Torres, Ought, EIY, Ex Hex would have been nice. And if Blanck Mass decides to pay this isle a visit and do something in Body and Soul on the Sat night then I'll get him a pint and a pie.

Edit: Just checked and BM is touring the States EP weekend, blasted yanks.

MadYaker wrote: »
    :pac:

I'm happy enough with Le Galaxie, Jape and Mano Le Tough though. I was really hoping for Kormac's Big Band though :(

I've still yet to see them, I've always been at the wrong day of festivals they play or their on too early/late and I miss them.

Heard great things though, perhaps a body and soul appearance again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

There is less high profile acts right through the bill from last year - last year you had the middle of the line up filled out with well known acts like Beck, Paolo Nutini, Lily Allen, Clean Bandit, Hozier, Flume, The 1975 etc etc. Nothing like that at all this year, budget cutting? :confused:

They would have done well to take a few of the metropolis acts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I'd take this years lineup over last years without a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

srm23 wrote: »
    There is less high profile acts right through the bill from last year - last year you had the middle of the line up filled out with well known acts like Beck, Paolo Nutini, Lily Allen, Clean Bandit, Hozier, Flume, The 1975 etc etc. Nothing like that at all this year, budget cutting? :confused:

They would have done well to take a few of the metropolis acts

Beck was a headliner...? And a great one at that.

But yeah, no well-known acts like Manics, Tame Impala, Mos Def, George Ezra, chvrches, hot chip, villagers and Interpol?

You're talking about summer Spotify hits, not well known acts. No one's going to know who Clean Bandit and the 1975 are in 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Synode wrote: »
    I'd take this years lineup over last years without a doubt

3 days of Despacio makes it an easy decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Le galaxie on the Sunday in 2013 were absolutely of the chain!

Glad to see Jape announced, haven't seen them before but the keyboard player is one of my lecturers in college :D

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

MattD wrote: »
    Beck was a headliner...? And a great one at that.

But yeah, no well-known acts like Manics, Tame Impala, Mos Def, George Ezra, chvrches, hot chip, villagers and Interpol?

You're talking about summer Spotify hits, not well known acts. No one's going to know who Clean Bandit and the 1975 are in 5 years.
    I probably wouldn't go talking about summer Spotify hits and then lump Chvrches in with the well-known acts group. They're decent but their fanbase seems to largely consist of people who find their new music off O2 and Eircom ads.

Overall your points a fair one, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭deeceemee

a new album that they've been playing songs from for 2+ years at this stage.

Their album has been played to death for the past two years I agree...but there DJ set last year was one of my highlights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

I probably wouldn't go talking about summer Spotify hits and then lumping Chvrches in with the well-known acts group. They're decent but their fanbase seems to largely consist of people who find their new music off O2 and Eircom ads.

Overall your points a fair one, though.

I'll say that I like Clean Bandit and saw them last year, big fan of Hozier and Lily Allen too (and Chvrches for that matter)! I just thought that the dismissal of this year's midcard in that manner was fairly foolish. For me its the strongest in terms of solid proven acts, rather than impressive 1 album acts, in years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

3 days of Despacio makes it an easy decision.

I'm seriously considering skipping every other act. As Yoda would say, "strong in me the hype is."

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CorkClaire82

I'm seriously considering skipping every other act. As Yoda would say, "strong in me the hype is."

Saw Despacio last year and yeah it's good but it's not as good as the hype, I thought it was essentially just lads up their dj-ing. Maybe I'm missing something but that's what it was like to me. I'm sure I'll still head in for awhile this year though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 booklova

nothing heartbreaking for me this year but I'm sure it's worth going as they all sounds different allive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

MattD wrote: »
    I'll say that I like Clean Bandit and saw them last year, big fan of Hozier and Lily Allen too (and Chvrches for that matter)! I just thought that the dismissal of this year's midcard in that manner was fairly foolish. For me its the strongest in terms of solid proven acts, rather than impressive 1 album acts, in years!

There should be more for people who do like that kind of music though,
    considering the acts last year thought would be reasonable to expect a few more like that littered throughout for the likes of me who isnt into manic street preachers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭Rfrip

cant recommend Mano Le Tough enough...oh it rhymes!

if your into ur DJ's, stumbled across him one year, amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Saw Despacio last year and yeah it's good but it's not as good as the hype, I thought it was essentially just lads up their dj-ing. Maybe I'm missing something but that's what it was like to me. I'm sure I'll still head in for awhile this year though :)

Standing in front of lads DJing is essentially how I spent my 20s!

Seriously though, I'll punch in a few hours each night but I'm not expecting it to be earth-shatteringly brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Today's announcements are cat , but it was to be expected seen as its already sold out .
    For me line up last year was better . Still going to be great though . Despacio is getting some hype , hope it doesn't disappoint . Hope interpol are in a tent n not on main stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Standing in front of lads DJing is essentially how I spent my 20s!

Seriously though, I'll punch in a few hours each night but I'm not expecting it to be earth-shatteringly brilliant.

For someone pretty much ignorant to DJs/EDM (although I know the acronym) what is it that makes Despacio so good?

Have they got original material?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Jessie Ware has pulled out.

Have to agree nothing really jumping out to me in this announcement . Hopefully the final one is a lot better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭dublinjen

Jessie Ware has pulled out.

Have to agree nothing really jumping out to me in this announcement . Hopefully the final one is a lot better

I love your optimism but it won't be. I'm not quite sure where the increased revenue from the bigger crowd are going - probably to paying of laois county council for the bigger crowd!

Advertisement