Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

For someone pretty much ignorant to DJs/EDM (although I know the acronym) what is it that makes Despacio so good?

Have they got original material?

Despacio is presented by LCD Soundsystem frontman James Murphy. I kinda consider him the Quentin Tarintino of music as he seems to have an encyclopedic knowledge of obscure tracks that you might not necessarily know but they'll be easy to like and accessible. Not sure if he is the only one playing but I got the impression he does a fair bit of it. The big thing about Despacio is that it is a custom built soundsystem with a circular arrangement of speakers. There is no front set of speakers to face. It is loud without being distorted. They've also a pretty massive mirror ball. All in all it is a good experience and something that you don't have to be a big dance head to enjoy. If it is the same setup as Glastonbury where I saw it there is no toilet and no bar and there is limited space inside so prepare accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Toast wrote: »
    Not sure if he is the only one playing but I got the impression he does a fair bit of it.

2ManyDjs play as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Despacio is presented by LCD Soundsystem frontman James Murphy. I kinda consider him the Quentin Tarintino of music as he seems to have an encyclopedic knowledge of obscure tracks that you might not necessarily know but they'll be easy to like and accessible. Not sure if he is the only one playing but I got the impression he does a fair bit of it. The big thing about Despacio is that it is a custom built soundsystem with a circular arrangement of speakers. There is no front set of speakers to face. It is loud without being distorted. They've also a pretty massive mirror ball. All in all it is a good experience and something that you don't have to be a big dance head to enjoy. If it is the same setup as Glastonbury where I saw it there is no toilet and no bar and there is limited space inside so prepare accordingly.

Its James Murphy and the two guys behind 2ManyDJs and Soulwax.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Moan moan moan. Some great additions to an already fantastic lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

I'm very familiar with Murphy & LCD but what I'm hearing is the unique set up and the fact that the play for hours.

What I'm really wondering is, and sorry to simplify it like this, does he play original tunes or someone else's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Rfrip wrote: »
    cant recommend Mano Le Tough enough...oh it rhymes!
    How much would it harsh your vibe if someone were to tell that the "Tough" in his name was pronounced like "Tow?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I'm very familiar with Murphy & LCD but what I'm hearing is the unique set up and the fact that the play for hours.

What I'm really wondering is, and sorry to simplify it like this, does he play original tunes or someone else's?
    they play other people's music, mostly disco/house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'd say if they are playing 6 hours a night, there will be some originals but it will probably be a mash up of some classics too from the past if you know the style of 2ManyDJs.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

if you know the style of 2ManyDJs.

They're nuts. Seen them at EP years ago and thought they were brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

gandalfio wrote: »
    Moan moan moan. Some great additions to an already fantastic lineup.

Ah Schtop will Ya , the organisers aren't reading this thread and giving beer tokens out to whoever says super positive nice things . Today's announcement is scutter compared to the one made this time last year

• Advertisement

Ah Schtop will Ya , the organisers aren't reading this thread and giving beer tokens out to whoever says super positive nice things . Today's announcement is scutter compared to the one made this time last year

In your opinion. Remember that. It's all subjective

Why would you think that he was trying to express someone else's opinion unless he explicitly stated otherwise? Though maybe that was a satirical post.

Who else's opinion would he/she give?

:)

Great minds...

And who were you expecting to be announced and why? Will your experience of EP15 be tainted because you feel this year's second announcement isn't as good as the one last year?

Great minds...

...in your opinion. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

If you haven't seen this it gives a few details on the Despacio setup. The festival set up is a big tent which is far darker than the club photos look but other than that it is the same speakers from what I could tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭Rfrip

How much would it harsh your vibe if someone were to tell that the "Tough" in his name was pronounced like "Tow?"

Oh no...I was just about to buy poetry for dummies as I thought I was on to something there.....

I feel so deflated

I've been saying that wrong for about three years now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

it will be criminal if new Jackson isn't there.

body and soul line up please.

it will be criminal if new Jackson isn't there.

body and soul line up please.

Yeah I really enjoyed him at body and soul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Oh no...I was just about to buy poetry for dummies as I thought I was on to something there.....

I feel so deflated

He's always introduced in interviews or his sets as "Tough" rather than "Tow"
    I'm sticking with "Tough" :)

SmallBalls wrote: »
    He's always introduced in interviews or his sets as "Tough" rather than "Tow"
    I'm sticking with "Tough" :)

Rough sleepers all posh with his "Tow" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

mano le dul go dti on leitheras

I feel so deflated

He'll always be Mano le tuf to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

mano le turf

Good lad , always one that throws out the boring opinion come back . I know everyone has diff opinions but I'd be fairly confident the majority of people going EP this year are v Disapointed by today's announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Good lad , always one that throws out the boring opinion come back . I know everyone has diff opinions but I'd be fairly confident the majority of people going EP this year are v Disapointed by today's announcement

I'm a little disappointed I mean was it too much to ask for Scroobious Pip and Tenacious D!! ;)

To be fair it was already a line up with a sh1t load of awesomeness anyway.

I'm a little disappointed I mean was it too much to ask for Scroobious Pip and Tenacious D!! ;)

To be fair it was already a line up with a sh1t load of awesomeness anyway.

True , scroobious pip would be a nice edition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I've still yet to see them, I've always been at the wrong day of festivals they play or their on too early/late and I miss them.

Heard great things though, perhaps a body and soul appearance again?

same here, i'm delighted with le galaxie, love the album. somehow they clash with someone and i always say i can see them again. i've only seen them once as support for sleigh bells back in 2012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

piss poor additions to the line up
    he Boomtown Rats – Villagers – Le Galaxie - The Staves
    MS MR – Shamir – Mano Le Tough – Parquet Courts
    Son Lux - Jape - Girlpool - Little Hours - The Lost Brothers
    Here We Go Magic - Thomston - Declan McKenna - Tom Misch
    Bry - Legend - Yurodny - Dublin Gospel Choir

Advertisement