Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Very cringeworthy presenters alright, Tom Dunne would be a good fit I think.

RTE use some one who might have an inkling about music?

Not a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

lbj666 wrote: »
    This show is going on the road by the looks of it,not just a one off. Todd Terje and the Olsens are playing Coachella

Could see him headlining body and soul first rather than ep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Would love to see this man live at ep with the full band.

What is this story with some electronic acts going for this sort of wankery? First The Knife and now this. Todd, Nobody want to see 20 plonkers dancing on stage in blankets/ponchos, it adds nothing to your show. Play your tunes and if you want some additional visuals, throw in some lasers. It's not a Pink gig FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

What is this story with some electronic acts going for this sort of wankery? First The Knife and now this. Todd, Nobody want to see 20 plonkers dancing on stage in blankets/ponchos, it adds nothing to your show. Play your tunes and if you want some additional visuals, throw in some lasers. It's not a Pink gig FFS.

I love that song and completely agree with you, just play the thing ffs!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

chemical Bros have an album this year. any chance they play the picnic?

It's only the last song in the set, they did it it for tv really in his home country. If you seen the mocumentary for Inspector Norse you'd know why they're wearing ponchos and lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Totally possible I would imagine. They played a few years ago, great line up that year, they were on after arcade fire I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

Rfrip wrote: »
    I love that song and completely agree with you, just play the thing ffs!!!

disagree completely, cant beat a bit of pomp and ceremony at a festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Absolute ****ing nonsense , if you had seen the video for this you would have known what the dancing was on about it was just done to cap things off at the end of the show and is generally done as a piss take.

The guy has gone at length to compose the stuff the way he has, far more than just piecing everything together in his bedroom. So its obvious there's an urge to play it with a live band and his music suits perfectly and this set everything blends into each other perfectly just like if he was mixing it. I will admit some electronic music doesn't suit the live band act, but it is getting really boring watching someone press play, play a dj set or mash his/her material up on ableton.

As for lasers , do you honestly think lasers suits the nu disco pena collada feel Terje is going for. Now if I heard that Ben Klock or Marcel Detemann was gonna do a live band show with on stage dancers i obviously wouldn't like the idea at all ( although i would probably find it hilarious)

There are plenty ways to skin and cat and for live electronic acts its no different otherwise i'd be bored to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ruanmcg

MattD wrote: »

Awh man I would love to see modest mouse announced.. They were on the lineup for longitude the year before last but pulled out... The fact that they have a new album coming out gives me hope hahah.

I can definately see tame impala... Maybe florence and the machine too? I know she's playing coachella and a few other festivals around europe this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    it's only 1 of them touring now, but there's a few festival dates earlier in the summer, so quite likely, assuming Longitude or FF don't nab him/them for a headline slot.

it's only 1 of them touring now, but there's a few festival dates earlier in the summer, so quite likely, assuming Longitude or FF don't nab him/them for a headline slot.

It's only 1 doing Dj sets atm as the other is spending time working in the studio. They'll both be doing the live show. There's about 4 or 5 festivals that have them playing during the summer so who knows. Longtitude could end up nabbing them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

nope, only 1 of them is doing the live show. Ed is doing some sort of academic studies rather than touring.

http://www.mxdwn.com/2014/11/19/news/ed-simons-says-he-will-quit-touring-with-the-chemical-brothers/
    Ed Simons Says He Will Quit Touring With The Chemical Brothers
    Electronic music producer and DJ, Ed Simons, made an announcement earlier Tuesday morning, discussing he will be quitting the tour with band mate Tom Rowlands in order to focus more on his academic studies. Although he has enjoyed being a part of the live show, he claims that he will now fully commit to his schoolwork.

He briefly states:
    I have committed to academic pursuits over the last few years so I won’t be able to be part of the live show. It’s been a really difficult decision but it doesn’t work for me to be away from home for the periods of time touring requires.”

The academic work I’m continuing with is too meaningful for me to break from right now. I’m really excited to see how the new show looks and on the plus side, one day I will get to see a Chemical Brothers show from the audience’s perspective.

However, this does not mean that Chemical Brothers are splitting or will not appear together in the future. “We’re still very much together and making this [new] record together and DJing together. The touring just doesn’t fit alongside my academic work.

Even though Ed Simons will no longer be a part of the tour with The Chemical Brothers, the tour is not over. According to NME News, “The electronic musician also revealed that bandmate Tom Rowlands will be continuing to tour with the group’s long-term visual collaborator Adam Smith.” It also does not mean it is an end to the electronic duo, as he also states they have a new album on the way soon: “What we have so far for the album sounds incredible, far-out electronic music. We’re going to start mixing it really soon.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Is there a link between Coachella and this? Same organisers is it? Would absolutely love to see Tame Impala play it and alt-J too!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

Ruanmcg wrote: »
    Awh man I would love to see modest mouse announced.. They were on the lineup for longitude the year before last but pulled out... The fact that they have a new album coming out gives me hope hahah.

I can definately see tame impala... Maybe florence and the machine too? I know she's playing coachella and a few other festivals around europe this summer

played ep a few years ago loved every minute of them great live band

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Caribou put on some show here

http://boilerroom.tv/recording/caribou/

A repeat would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

BOHtox wrote: »
    Is there a link between Coachella and this? Same organisers is it? Would absolutely love to see Tame Impala play it and alt-J too!

No link at all as far as I'm aware? Coachella is the first major festival of the year, their line up will give you an idea of who's touring. Generally a Coachella headliner will do Glastonbury, Leeds/reading & a big Irish gig. Coachella is particularly useful for highlighting retro acts on a reunion tour i.e. Outkast and Beck both played Coachella last year, but other than that I don't recall there being a great deal of cross over with the EP?

BOHtox wrote: »

Nah not link really , but its where a lot of bands debut their live plans for the year. Would one of the first full bill announcement too.

For all the talk of their being cross over between all the festival republic like reading/ep/berlin its no different to any 3 festivals held on 3 successive weekend by different promoters. Lattitude is FR festival but that sistered with Longtitude which is done by their pals MCD. There is as much similarity between EP and bestival as there is with the other FR festivals.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

lbj666 wrote: »
    Nah not link really , but its where a lot of bands debut their live plans for the year. Would one of the first full bill announcement too.

For all the talk of their being cross over between all the festival republic like reading/ep/berlin its no different to any 3 festivals held on 3 successive weekend by different promoters. Lattitude is FR festival but that sistered with Longtitude which is done by their pals MCD. There is as much similarity between EP and bestival as there is with the other FR festivals.

Yea usually Bestival is a good indicator on who will turn up at EP (especially last year)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yea usually Bestival is a good indicator on who will turn up at EP (especially last year)

And Festival No 6 in Wales on the same weekend as Bestival.

http://www.festivalnumber6.com/music/lineup2014#filter=*

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

And Festival No 6 in Wales on the same weekend as Bestival.

On the same weekend as EP this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

3 bands announced, Good Golly I Best Get My Ticket!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭endainoz

The frames announced 25 anniversary shows in cork and Dublin for July, hope there's a good chance of the doing the picnic again like they did in 2010 for their 20th anniversary. That was a brilliant gig, was basically the full set list album with some of the newer stuff thrown in, then on the way back through the woods, got to see seasick Steve playing the salty dog, I'll never forget that year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Caribou put on some show here

http://boilerroom.tv/recording/caribou/

A repeat would be welcome.

I was at that in Pula - They were incredible but the crowd weren't a touch on an Irish one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

War on Drugs sealed it for me. Ticket bought.

Would be great if Sun Kil Moon / Mark Kozelek were on the bill and played at the same time. I'd go just for that.

Ride will probably play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

endainoz wrote: »
    The frames announced 25 anniversary shows in cork and Dublin for July, hope there's a good chance of the doing the picnic again like they did in 2010 for their 20th anniversary. That was a brilliant gig, was basically the full set list album with some of the newer stuff thrown in, then on the way back through the woods, got to see seasick Steve playing the salty dog, I'll never forget that year!

Picnic years are blurring together..I remember they headlined mainstage on sunday night one year as the frames, and then a year or two later in a tent, under Glens name..not sure which came first :)

Be great to see them again down there though.

david75 wrote: »
    Picnic years are blurring together..I remember they headlined mainstage on sunday night one year as the frames, and then a year or two later in a tent, under Glens name..not sure which came first :)

Be great to see them again down there though.

They subbed the headline act on main stage on either Saturday or Sunday night 2010 I think before Massive Attack and they played one of the Body & Soul stages at EP 2008.

endainoz wrote: »

2010 was the last really good year in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Thought 2014 was one of the best yet, worth it for Portishead and Beck alone.

Advertisement