Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

bollocks to that you heretic!

there are dedicated arse wipes which are far batter suited to the purpose.

just don't do what my da did on a recent trip to cuba

father - "yeah, i just used wipes the whole time, worked a treat they did, showers were hard to come by"
    scruff - "Da, did they by any chance have andrex on the front"
    father - "why yes, yes they did"
    scruff - "they were for your arse you muppet!"

Wipes are king but most don't like the 'after wetness' feeling, myself included but the top wipe generally drys out, use this one as the last wipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

MattD wrote: »
    3 weeks until we're well and truly in the middle of things and the main arena lineup still looks pretty light compared to the last couple of years, and that's with the scaled back Fridays. Is it possible that they've done away with the Rankin Woods Stage? Possibly in favour of the Despacio tent?

~78 acts so far announced for Main Stage, EA, Cosby (+ Rankin) and LBT. 2014 and 2013 were at 90+ at this stage.

Just a curious thing to note?

Edit: Now that I've just checked Golden Plec, I see that acts were announced just 10 days before the event last year like Krystal Klear, Jenny Lewis, PHOX, Raglans and All Tvvins, so there is still time... That still seems a bit late!

Yea it's definitely still light, they usually announce the international acts first leaving the Irish acts very late.

What's this about the Despacio tent? Where has that come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Yea it's definitely still light, they usually announce the international acts first leaving the Irish acts very late.

What's this about the Despacio tent? Where has that come from?

So we still should get a couple of late interesting names.

Yeah. it's mentioned here that they will be curating a tent for the weekend

Probably only Saturday Sunday? But it's mentioned by a couple of sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Anyone know any good (affordable!) torches/lanterns to bring?

Halfords should be doing offers on camping lanterns, the LED ones would be perfect for keeping in the tent.
    Other than that I find a small LED bike front light would do for out and about (you can always switch it to strobe mode when at the rave in the woods;))

Other than that you could get one of these bad boys (tad expensive though)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Other than that you could get one of these hbad boys (tad expensive though)

Have one of those bad boys, can confirm, was expensive

Cool, though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I picked this up in Halfords for 25 Euros just before Body & Soul festival, its a pretty reasonable camping light, it comes with a remote control too so you can turn it off while lying snug in your sleeping bag.

$_57.JPG

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I remember the days when a dying glow stick was all we had for a light. Hanging from the top bar, giving off just enough of a glow to see each others ugly mugs gurning furiously. When the stick eventually died the end of a joint was all we had to guide our trembling souls. By the time the skins ran out it was starting to get bright and the whole thing would begin again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

MattD wrote: »
    So we still should get a couple of late interesting names.

Yeah. it's mentioned here that they will be curating a tent for the weekend

Probably only Saturday Sunday? But it's mentioned by a couple of sources.

it's all 3 nights according to their own facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I remember the days when a dying glow stick was all we had for a light. Hanging from the top bar, giving off just enough of a glow to see each others ugly mugs gurning furiously. When the stick eventually died the end of a joint was all we had to guide our trembling souls. By the time the skins ran out it was starting to get bright and the whole thing would begin again.

MI+Just+Saying+David+Dynan+YouTube+short+film++immigration.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

Lads, if you've got a decent tent there's no worry about the cold! I have a lightweight 2 season bag and I sleep in that in my boxers at every festival.

Ah yes, but you're a man! And men have hair everywhere to keep you warm! Us ladyfolk dont :P

There, I debunked that crappy joke about women always being cold!

• Advertisement

Was going to ask why no menthol then realised that it would leave you with a ring piece like a polo mint

Minty fresh!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Oh yes, the Electric Picnic thread still seems alive, oh yes yisssssssssss!

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭dublinjen

Ah yes, but you're a man! And men have hair everywhere to keep you warm! Us ladyfolk dont :P

There, I debunked that crappy joke about women always being cold!

Maybe if we grew it out.....cue all the males in here shuddering :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭dublinjen

Lads,

Am so forgetful (and plain stupid at times!) I was wondering could we do a bit of a check list for packing??

Up to my eyes for the next two weekends so am trying to get as organised as possible over the next few days. Am worried I'm leaving out something very obvious (or not so obvious maybe - the necessities deemed by the pros from experience ;))

Tent came today - I'm going to do a test run on pitching it tomorrow.
    I've 2 sleeping bags.
    A folding camping chair
    2 lED lanterns
    An air mattress
    Pump for the air mattress
    Those charging cases for iPhone for back up batteries
    Wellies
    Clothes (doh!)
    Four bottles of antibacterial gel
    **** loads of baby wipes

Can anyone add anything please?

YOU FORGOT DRY SHAMPOO!!!!!

Also tons of socks, they can be gloves on a cold night. Also bring some snacks, food is expensive

Maybe somebody might be able to help me if they have experienced it themselves or know somebody who was in a similar situation ...but im slightly nervous il be turned away at the gate as I have a recovering broken ankle. 

I broke it at Slane back in May, and while it is nearly healed (cast is off, final checkup this Friday 21st August) it is still a bit sore and tender so will probably be wearing an orthopedic boot for protection. 

Is this allowed? Or will the stewards tell me to go home!

Maybe somebody might be able to help me if they have experienced it themselves or know somebody who was in a similar situation ...but im slightly nervous il be turned away at the gate as I have a recovering broken ankle. 

I broke it at Slane back in May, and while it is nearly healed (cast is off, final checkup this Friday 21st August) it is still a bit sore and tender so will probably be wearing an orthopedic boot for protection. 

I would be absolutely stunned if you were turned away. Surely to god that would be classed as discrimination of some sort? You're essentially wearing a medical device.

I've just started a new job and can't get any time off. So I'll be arriving late on Friday night and I'm also working on Monday morning. Has anyone any experience with this? On a scale of 1-10, just how difficult is getting out of bed the morning after a festival?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I've just started a new job and can't get any time off. So I'll be arriving late on Friday night and I'm also working on Monday morning. Has anyone any experience with this? On a scale of 1-10, just how difficult is getting out of bed the morning after a festival?

I couldn't do it. I take the Monday and Tuesday off! Really up to whether you can a) take it relatively easy on the Sunday or b) function as a human when severely hungover.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

This is a personal thing really. Some ppl wouldn't have a hope and need the day to recover and others, like me, only need a soft drink and breakfast roll and I'm good to go.

I would be absolutely stunned if you were turned away. Surely to god that would be classed as discrimination of some sort? You're essentially wearing a medical device.

I emailed them and they got back to me just now. They were lovely and said it shouldnt be a problem. Phew!!

I just had images of them watching me walking up and thinking that girls a liability, get her out of here!

• Advertisement

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I couldn't do it. I take the Monday and Tuesday off! Really up to whether you can a) take it relatively easy on the Sunday or b) function as a human when severely hungover.
    rebelreded wrote: »
    This is a personal thing really. Some ppl wouldn't have a hope and need the day to recover and others, like me, only need a soft drink and breakfast roll and I'm good to go.

I'm sure I'll be okay. I live nearby so I can be in bed within 30 minutes of leaving the festival. And I've no choice but to take it easy on the Sunday because I'm honestly not able to go three days in a row! It's a bit of a headache alright but I guess sacrifices have to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mgkelly

No way! This should be fine! It would be bonkers if you weren't allowed in!
    Take it easy but enjoy the festival!

I work on a Friday usually, but this year is different (I arrive in on a flight from NZ on Friday a.m. - visiting my sister!). So, coming late on a Friday seemed always fine. Was always pissed that, for example, you might miss some of the acts. For example, MBV were playing year before last, & was pissed didn't really get to see them (tho' could hear them quite well from car park!). I think arriving late works out ok, as not as much queuing, I suspect!
    Downside: - you end parking a long way back in the carpark, you arrive at the campsite & will be hard to get a site (again, I'm lucky to be able to afford boutique camping, so less of an issue).
    I nearly always leave on a Sunday night. I'm always working on Monday. I have to drive to Inishowen. Usually leave around 2100h. I don't drink at all at festivals (am on my own, so don't wanted to be sauced - dangerous!; also, cannot cope with hangovers any more, at age 45y!), but even then, I'm usually knackered & slightly deaf!
    In the end, it is what you make of it. Wouldn't be put off by any of these obstacles!

;)

mgkelly wrote: »
    I work on a Friday usually, but this year is different (I arrive in on a flight from NZ on Friday a.m. - visiting my sister!). So, coming late on a Friday seemed always fine. Was always pissed that, for example, you might miss some of the acts. For example, MBV were playing year before last, & was pissed didn't really get to see them (tho' could hear them quite well from car park!). I think arriving late works out ok, as not as much queuing, I suspect!
    Downside: - you end parking a long way back in the carpark, you arrive at the campsite & will be hard to get a site (again, I'm lucky to be able to afford boutique camping, so less of an issue).
    I nearly always leave on a Sunday night. I'm always working on Monday. I have to drive to Inishowen. Usually leave around 2100h. I don't drink at all at festivals (am on my own, so don't wanted to be sauced - dangerous!; also, cannot cope with hangovers any more, at age 45y!), but even then, I'm usually knackered & slightly deaf!
    In the end, it is what you make of it. Wouldn't be put off by any of these obstacles!

;)

That's very encouraging, thanks.

It shouldn't be at all unusual to work the day after a festival. It's just that I've never once done it, despite being at upwards of 50 festivals.

I live nearby so I'll be getting a lift on Friday. It usually takes about 50 minutes to get from my front door to the main stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mgkelly

That's very encouraging, thanks.

It shouldn't be at all unusual to work the day after a festival. It's just that I've never once done it, despite being at upwards of 50 festivals.

I live nearby so I'll be getting a lift on Friday. It usually takes about 50 minutes to get from my front door to the main stage!

Jeez, front door to main stage of 50 mins is good!
    I usually try to leave work a bit early on Friday a/noon from Derry.
    Takes about 5 hours.

Jeez, front door to main stage of 50 mins is good!
    I usually try to leave work a bit early on Friday a/noon from Derry.
    Takes about 5 hours.

Yeah, but as a consolation prize you get a great accent. I sound like I've been pulled out of a ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have to fly on monday morning (3 flights to take) and be ready to go at full speed on tuesday. Id say i will be skipping sunday this year. :(

I don't drink at all at festivals (am on my own, so don't wanted to be sauced - dangerous!; also, cannot cope with hangovers any more, at age 45y!), but even then, I'm usually knackered & slightly deaf!

Im after giving away my identity with the boot thing so if you see me around, do say hello!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

I need camping location suggestions guys, I just want to be close enough but far enough away from all the teenage knackers/party tents..I'm thinking past the gala shop the next site from hendrix....what do you think? I've never camped in any of the other sites like the new ones that have one entrance not the main ones.. what is Oscar Wilde like?

What I learned from last year.

Don't get into a welly throwing competition, you may break your wellies like I did. But then the lovely ladies who work in the SVP shop in the village sorted me out and threw in a River Island kacky green and black leather jacket, all for a tenner I might add.

I'm so excited I finally got my tickets at face value last week, there was unreal competition for them.

Leave that attitude at home. That's my suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 doughan

"Hi

I'm not to sure how many do you need? I'll have to have ticketprince.co.uk create an event bundle so you can purchase from them on Eventbright as it's the only way they sell tickets for some reason, I think it's all promotion based free tickets they get. You can use my voucher code to purchase on Eventbright and pay me once you have purchased? Does this suit?

I get on really well with them now after a few sales so can hook you up."

Got that message from a lad about tickets in my opinion it sounds dodgy but has anyone else even heard of them other websites /do you think it is legit?

Advertisement