Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭GhostMutt30

fits wrote: »
    anyone else not feeling it this year? I am a bit worried that the 50K capacity is just too much. very much toying with selling the tickets...

Had no problem at all with the increase last year I know it's bigger again but I'm not worried at all I reckon the bulk of the extra crowd will prob just stick to the more mainstream aspects of the festival like the sound atlas and so on. Maybe the arena will be bigger this year that'd be pretty sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

The capacity is A LOT bigger though. 50K is 15K more than last year!

BananaR wrote: »
    Beyond excited!!! Finish up work this Friday after 15+ years in the same company. taking some time off. EP is going to be blow-out central and no return to work fear to content with afterwards. CAN NOT WAIT!

Yeah I have to take a flight on the Monday and hit the ground running for the rest of the week so thats probably at the back of my mind too. :(

was 42k last year

I thought it was 35K. Maybe thats not so bad then. Argh I dont know what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

We'll need to organise a Boards meet up, I'm hoping to organise a much smaller Efestivals meet up too. Some location will need to be worked out by Saturday night as I leave the following day for Stradbally where I won't be online for 8 days, unless I can find a cyber cafe or library in Stradbally.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

was 42k last year

48,500 apparently this year with 2,500 guests and staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I thought it was 35K. Maybe thats not so bad then. Argh I dont know what to do.

I can't believe you'd even contemplate selling your tickets because there's going to be more people there than last year. Madness

Synode wrote: »
    I can't believe you'd even contemplate selling your tickets because there's going to be more people there than last year. Madness

lol! Well obviously thats not the only reason. Just not very excited by lineup etc this year, combined with hectic schedule following week. I have been going since 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

was 42k last year

Thing was last year though that if you wanted see a popular band in a tent you needed to be there at least 20 minutes beforehand. London Grammar was a good example

when there are so many people there is less possibility for dropping in and out as I always like to do ... "oh well go to half an hour of that and catch the last half hour of the other" ... that kind of thing is less possible with more people...

Are we getting another scaled back Friday this year ? I understood that back when it started and the thing wasn't selling out for a few years there... but with a 50k crowd this year that seems a bit mean.

• Advertisement

lol! Well obviously thats not the only reason. Just not very excited by lineup etc this year, combined with hectic schedule following week. I have been going since 2004.

What was the 2004 single day event like, I'd say it was just the arena, was the woods opened up, I'd say B&S, Rave in the woods and Trenchtown were not involved at the time.

I think the offering this year is generally a bit mean to be honest. Maybe theres just not enough acts touring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I think you might be getting confused with the 2013 capacity fits, as far as I know it was 35k in 2013, 42k in 2014 and now somewhere around 48k for this year? Hopefully they will expand the campsite and the arena to accommodate for the extra people. The excitement has hit me big time today. Is there a such thing as a good place to camp? I've camped in the Hendrix campsite the past two years and thought it was grand but this year was planning on camping somewhere different, how far of a trek is it from the Oscar Wilde into the main arena? Is it slightly less jammers down that end or is it going to be equally packed everywhere with the increased capacity this year?

What was the 2004 single day event like, I'd say it was just the arena, was the woods opened up, I'd say B&S, Rave in the woods and Trenchtown were not involved at the time.

Much much smaller. Capacity was 10 k at most maybe? (was it even just 5K?) It was just a few tents in front of the main house. I remember there being major problems with sound pollution between tents. Couldnt even tell you who was playing at it only that bodytonic were curating a tent. It was mostly electronic music.

"line-up including Groove Armada, 2 Many DJ’s, Super Furry Animals, Mylo and Soulwax, "

No wonder I couldnt remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

I think this year's line-up is really strong!

pmalone wrote: »
    Thing was last year though that if you wanted see a popular band in a tent you needed to be there at least 20 minutes beforehand. London Grammar was a good example.

True enough I guess. I'm generally happy out standin at the back so the crowds really didn't bother me

Methinks you are not doing your homework ... at least 5 of the best albums this year are represented:

Shamir
    FKA Twigs
    Viet Cong
    Tame Impala
    Natalie Prass

all cracking albums..

also you have
    Villagers
    Blur
    Roisin Murphy

3 very good albums some would say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

Personally, I CANT WAIT.
    Have pretty much everything bought and sorted so the organising helps build the excitement.
    Am also turning 30 during the picnic so am celebrating (or drowning sorrows..).
    To be fair, this is only my second visit to Stradbally though, so I can understand how all the changes might effect how the long term goers feel about things...

Thing was last year though that if you wanted see a popular band in a tent you needed to be there at least 20 minutes beforehand.

I don't think that's a new thing related to increased capacity. There have always been situations like this over the years. Thinking back to when Beastie Boys played ..

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

They upped the capacity by 5000 last year and it wasnt a problem apart from entry to tents which is always an issue. it's only increased this year by 5000 with 2500 extra for security artists entourage etc.

• Advertisement

Methinks you are not doing your homework ... at least 5 of the best albums this year are represented:

Shamir
    FKA Twigs
    Viet Cong
    Tame Impala
    Natalie Prass

all cracking albums..

also you have
    Villagers
    Blur
    Roisin Murphy

3 very good albums some would say ;)

You are right, I just dont follow these things as closely anymore. Would like to see Blur alright. Villagers are amazing but better suited to indoor venues (seen them many times). Will check out those albums.

It was a disaster. nobody knew where anything was .. there was one bar with a couple of barmen .. music was great but organisation was hilarious ... was a great day out all the same ..

I think B&S was there.. but i never got up there ... no forest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I can't be arsed getting to the front anyway, only thing I do it for is the comedy and that's purely because being able to sit down is unreal

It was a disaster. nobody knew where anything was .. there was one bar with a couple of barmen .. music was great but organisation was hilarious ... was a great day out all the same ..

I think B&S was there.. but i never got up there ... no forest

I have no recollection of B&S but now you mention it, the beer and loo situation was disastrous. Beer couldnt be got! Nor could loos. And they wer manky.
    Yep the organisation was ropey enough in parts the first few years. I will never forget the camper van area loos in 2006.

BananaR wrote: »
    I don't think that's a new thing related to increased capacity. There have always been situations like this over the years. Thinking back to when Beastie Boys played ..

Yeah but ... The Beastie Boys!!!!

was at both their sets ... bloody brilliant.

I'm gonna take advantage of the volunteer short cuts this year, I found last year to be a slog trying to wade in through the throng at times from the main stage to the EA, hence coming to a wedged EA for London Grammar and listening to the set at the ice cream van outside the tent. The volunteer passages and cross roads cuts through the centre of the festival, first crossroads takes you to Fossetts circus and the first avenue of food and shop stalls, second crossroads takes you to LBT/Gate E area and about 2 minutes from EA. Definitely doing this, this year.

Have pretty much everything bought and sorted so the organising helps build the excitement.

Am feelin much the same have the camping bits and pieces sorted and sittin in a pile at home all I've left to do is a bit of booze shopping:D

I know!!! but I remember being there for practically the whole of whoever played directly before them to ensure that we got in to the tent. So getting there well in advance is definitely not a new development

was at both their sets ... bloody brilliant.

2007: Primal Scream, Bjork, LCD Soundsystem, Stooges, Beastie Boys, Hot Chip, Chemical Brothers etc.

• Advertisement

I will never forget the camper van area loos in 2006.

Campervan toilets were the same last year. Absolute no go. Shockin stuff think there were only 4 of them

Advertisement