Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sputnick123

I'm gonna take advantage of the volunteer short cuts this year

Do they let you go that way? Always wondered but never tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Do they let you go that way? Always wondered but never tried it.

If you've got the crew wristband I think you're OK to go.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

is there any festival in the world that has figured out a way to have clean toilets? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

is there any festival in the world that has figured out a way to have clean toilets? :(

I dont know - If you time when/where you use them pretty well, can usually manage to get away reasonably unscathed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

The toilets in the festival arena were pretty good last year IMO.

Campsite will always be a warzone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

pmalone wrote: »
    Are we getting another scaled back Friday this year ? I understood that back when it started and the thing wasn't selling out for a few years there... but with a 50k crowd this year that seems a bit mean.
    as long as we're getting cheap tickets, i expect to have a scaled-back Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭GhostMutt30

There's always gonna be some really bad ones but I think in general they've done a decent job the last few years of keeping the arena toilets kind of clean

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

Thing was last year though that if you wanted see a popular band in a tent you needed to be there at least 20 minutes beforehand. London Grammar was a good example

when there are so many people there is less possibility for dropping in and out as I always like to do ... "oh well go to half an hour of that and catch the last half hour of the other" ... that kind of thing is less possible with more people...

Are we getting another scaled back Friday this year ? I understood that back when it started and the thing wasn't selling out for a few years there... but with a 50k crowd this year that seems a bit mean.

Beastie boys erasure lcd le galaxie christy Moore London grammar the list I'd endless for the acts that have packed out tents over the years. Normally 10mins before an act starts is enough imo

i've found the EP ones to be absolutely fine the last few years.
    can't remember if I used the ones in the campsites, but the arena ones have been spotless any time i used them.

was at Glastonbury this year for the first time with their famed compost toilets and thought they were much smellier and grottier. they had loads of long-drops which weren't great either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

declanleo wrote: »
    Beastie boys erasure lcd le galaxie christy Moore London grammar the list I'd endless for the acts that have packed out tents over the years. Normally 10mins before an act starts is enough imo

That Christy Moore crowd was nuts. The last time Florence played was really jammers too. But all these we are mentioning are well established "big" names

The point I was trying to make was that it seemed a lot worse last year ... simple maths, innit? The more people the less space ..

two years back James Vincent McMorrow filled a tent .. who knew?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭morrissey1307

i've found the EP ones to be absolutely fine the last few years.
    can't remember if I used the ones in the campsites, but the arena ones have been spotless any time i used them.

was at Glastonbury this year for the first time with their famed compost toilets and thought they were much smellier and grottier. they had loads of long-drops which weren't great either.

My first Glastonbury was 2010 and even since then I think the toilets have improved big time. Lots and lots of horrible portaloos that were always destroyed and the long drops above the tanks which carried the stench for miles!

The ones at ground level were ok and I thought the compost ones were brilliant in comparison to previous experiences. I don't even want to imagine what they were like 20+ years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

some screenshots of the iPhone app ... its coming along

aAqvlB7.png

Mr.S wrote: »
    Don't EP have their own app?

yes - but it's not great - at least it wasn't last year anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

Mr.S wrote: »
    Don't EP have their own app?

Do they?

The one last year was pretty poor. some web app thing that didn't work at all on the saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

That Christy Moore crowd was nuts. The last time Florence played was really jammers too. But all these we are mentioning are well established "big" names

The point I was trying to make was that it seemed a lot worse last year ... simple maths, innit? The more people the less space ..

two years back James Vincent McMorrow filled a tent .. who knew?

I remember for Hot chip at the EA in 2010 the crowd outside the tent was 5-10 deep, got a bigger crowd than LCD Soundsystems farewell.

The little big tent gets packed very easily.

To be honest i think the line up this year is solid enough to fill out a proper 3 day programme on all the stages. They are also getting plenty money at the gate to operate at full capacity, discount tickets at this rate should be no excuse. Its around 10,000 tickets at least more that they started this craic 2013, thats €1.5m more at the gate at least. They have definitely paid off their loses at this rate.

47,000 people roaming around on friday night with very few places to go is sh1t to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

I know Im being stupid - buy what do you mean by a 'scaled back Friday'?

18:00 (?) Main arena opening time - correct me if the time is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭gandalfio

some screenshots of the iPhone app ... its coming along

aAqvlB7.png

Is this year's map out or is that an oldie?

in previous years all the stages/tents were open on the Friday from about 3pm.

for the last 2 or 3 years, the Electric Arena only had one act on the Friday, and the Rankins Wood, Little Big Tent, and Cosby stages were all closed on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭John83

First time going for the full weekend this year. Will be driving and arriving early-ish on Friday morning.

I was wondering would the seasoned pro's have any tips on where the best place to camp would be for a debutant? Or what are the pro's and con's of the different sites.

Also is there any site maps available yet or are we waiting for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

True enough I guess. I'm generally happy out standin at the back so the crowds really didn't bother me

Standing at the back I don't mind, but standing out side of the stage tent is pointless!!!

BananaR wrote: »
    18:00 (?) Main arena opening time - correct me if the time is wrong

Since they became a 3 day festival , they have had every stage open on friday from around 5-6 onward. Since 2013 , they have had little big tent, rankins and cosby tent closed on friday night. With just one act on in electric arena, although Moroder had to pull out in 2013.

John83 wrote: »
    First time going for the full weekend this year. Will be driving and arriving early-ish on Friday morning.

I was wondering would the seasoned pro's have any tips on where the best place to camp would be for a debutant? Or what are the pro's and con's of the different sites.

Also is there any site maps available yet or are we waiting for that?

The further away from the arena , the less like Beirut is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

gandalfio wrote: »
    Is this year's map out or is that an oldie?

That is based on last years map .. I will update the map once they release it. The app will load up the new map anyway

Speaking of this:

Does anyone think they could pick out the exact location of these two stages in Body and Soul on google maps?

Earthship Stage
    Upstage

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

Ah! makes sense - thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

cant be arsed quoting above but I will agree they do a great job of cleaning the portaloos but god help you if you go into one that hasn't seen cleaning in a few hours.

it would be good if there was some sort of name and shame system where people who **** all over the walls could be put on the front page of the newspaper

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

Only Main stage open in the Main Arena. There will be a full programme in B&S, trenchtown, Salty Dog etc and some activity in Trailer Park. Back a few years ago, all main stages (EA, LBT etc.) were rocking on Friday pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

There MUST be a better solution than a portaloo!!!

Mind you the best I've seen are the compost toilets at Glastonbury. Basically long drops but instead of the tank underneath, each cubicle had a wheelie bin. No nasty views to the left or right :eek::eek:
    Pee-poo then cover it over with your cup of compost/saw dust. It sounds like the crudest method and I was avoiding completely, but was extremely surprised when I did eventually use them!!! no smell what so ever!!!:cool::cool:

Wheelie bins swapped by an attendant when full and emptied via a truck every so often.

That is based on last years map .. I will update the map once they release it. The app will load up the new map anyway

Speaking of this:

Does anyone think they could pick out the exact location of these two stages in Body and Soul on google maps?

Earthship Stage
    Upstage

Earthship is around here
    53°00'38.1"N 7°09'42.8"W

Upstage i can't remember if its to the left or right off it, it kind of depends everyyear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

They sound great compared to the long-drop troughs at Picnic.

You see things in there that no man/woman should ever see.

Advertisement