Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Dropped my wallet walking back to pink moon from Londis in Jimmy hendrix, a long shot but if anyone hears anything about it please let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I thought Mac deMarco was disappointing yesterday. Bad sound and a bit of a shambolic performance. War on drugs more than made up for it though. That guy can play guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Anyone here remember Witnness?

It's interesting to look back on when considering Electric Picnic's corporate nature.

There were no music stages anywhere at Witnness expect those inside the main arena. So if you wanted to drink and listen to music you had to go inside. The whole festival was about drink, drink, drink. Electric Picnic is now much more corporate than Witnness ever was, particularly in terms of 'brand presence', but the latter will always strike me as the more money-driven because there was simply nothing to do but drink. The whole festival was designed in order to get you to buy alcohol. It was a cracking festival, but it was quite ugly and very one-dimensional.

Electric Picnic has changed a lot since 2004, but thankfully it still has a strong creative pulse. There are things to do and see and despite its problems it's still a breath of fresh air when compared to what came before it. It's been an absolute game-changer in terms of Irish music festivals.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I haven't been to an EP in 8 years but I've still generally enjoyed myself aside from the ludicrous queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭CFC007

Anyone driving to Dublin early tomorrow morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

CFC007 wrote: »
    Anyone driving to Dublin early tomorrow morning?

I'm sure many people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I think its now safe to say that the eclectic mix that previous picnic's had in the past is now gone. Whether this was due to the release of Sunday tickets at previous festivals to capitalise on a more mainstream (younger) audience for financial and economic reasons, is anyones guess. Or was it the demise of Oxegen which resulted with those in the know, to seek to gain an advantage by throwing in some mainstream acts which has severely diluted the authenticity of the attendance of the festival? As judging by this weekends attendance it is all to clear to see, that this festival has now reached its max and any additional changes to increase its audience will ultimately result in its demise.

As for the acts I caught;

Future Islands - Cracking set, with the best frontman in music today, Samuel T Herring, bodypopping, german krautrock growling, with a bit of elvis hip swinging thrown in, the man has it all. Had the crowd in his hands and you could see he really appreciated the vibe he got off the crowd. Also liked the way he stomped off too one side of the stage and unceremoniously unplugged the leads from one of the speakers, when it was giving feedback.

Comedy Tent - Foil, Arms & Hog, saw them last year and ermmm, played most of the same material they did at last years event

Colm O Regan - See above, saw him last year, and did the same material, the mobile phone sketch is getting tedious now Colm, new material please!!!

The 1975 - Only caught the last 15 minutes of their set as was in the comedy tent (if i only knew), but was good judging by the crowd that was there.

Churches - Excellent, really great show they put on. Had caught their coverage at Glastonbury and was eager too see how they would perform. Lauren Mayberry has a fantastic voice, really impresses by her vocal range and she even engaged with the audience, pointing out the long queues for the womens portaloos, in her best scottish accent.

Sam "Thank You For Buying My Album " Smith - Total borefest, an artist while having a good voice, would just put you to sleep, total dismal performance, talk about been in love with himself!!!

Blur - Judging by previous posters, there seems to be mixed views on this, missed the first 20 minutes, while I'm not a huge Blur fan, i thought it was a good show they put on, Damon seemed to be in good form, chatting away, even inviting a few fans up on stage , "Parklife" was great to hear, good the whole crowd going, still able to hit the range with a lot of the songs, was a good setlist they played.

Low - Oh dear!!!, reason I missed the first 20 minutes of the Blur set, was that I went to see the Minnesota's finest , slowcore, shoegaze act over in the Cosby Tent. But who in their right mind, decided to put this fine band on, wedged between, The Rankin Wood Stage, where Jon Hopkins was DJing his set and a dance act at the heineken complex beside the tent is beyond me. An earlier slot would have been more practical for this band, as their music was been droned out by the other surrounding artists. At one stage Alan Sparhawk looked behind at Mimi Parker on drums, when playing and pointed out at the Jon Hopkins set and sarcastically started shaking his head to beat coming out of the tent across the way from them. All Mimi could do was shrug her shoulders and kept playing away, which is a shame, because they are a great band live and earlier slot during the afternoon would have been more beneficial to them.

Anyway roll on Sunday, let the mayhem begin, now I wonder will Interpols Paul Banks, do a Damon Albarn and invite fans up on stage to do a dance, or knowing him, will only do so, if they unltimately stage dive to impending injury........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Rackstar wrote: »
    Its all over. EP is now Oxegen. Some prick had a dump in one of our tents last night. Queues everywhere. Hell on earth in places.

If it's any consolation I'm not there either because I'm going to the foo fighters in London

As for the acts I caught;

Future Islands - Cracking set, with the best frontman in music today, Gerrit Welmers, crowdsurfing, bodypopping, german krautrock growling, with a bit of elvis hip swinging thrown in, the man has it all. Had the crowd in his hands and you could see he really appreciated the vibe he got off the crowd. Also liked the way he stomped off too one side of the stage and unceremoniously unplugged the leads from one of the speakers, when it was giving feedback

Samuel T. Herring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Birneybau wrote: »
    Samuel T. Herring.

Doh,thanks for the update,trying to post on this phone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Interpol at 7pm Wohoo, getting stoked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Jurassic 5, best act for me so far. Amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

For anyone wondering why RTE 2's coverage is so pathetic: (90% inane drivel, 10% music):

http://www.dailyedge.ie/blur-2314377-Sep2015/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭scruffmonkey

Was not sure what to expect from St Bob and the rats but they were fantastic

andreac wrote: »
    Jurassic 5, best act for me so far. Amazing

Really fantastic old school greatness

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

I would have loved to see Jurassic 5 alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

For anyone wondering why RTE 2's coverage is so pathetic: (90% inane drivel, 10% music):

http://www.dailyedge.ie/blur-2314377-Sep2015/

Not excusing RTE at all but their Outside Broadcast unit has been drastically downsized in recent years. Only a handful of vans and cams in use. They don't have the resources to do multi-stage coverage. They should not be covering EP at all.

Not excusing RTE at all but their Outside Broadcast unit has been drastically downsized in recent years. Only a handful of vans and cams in use. They don't have the resources to do multi-stage coverage. They should not be covering EP at all.

"Protocols innit". Imagine seeing that tweet from a BBC professional.

Interpol and manics were great. Huge crowd here but nice vibe today

Bit of flo Jo and then tame impala

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Just watching Ham Sandwich on RTE 2 there, not a fan of them but the sound seems rubbish , likely better on site though.

Saw them on main stage and other voices. They were fantastic. Hilight was Boomtown Rats. Rocked the stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'm at it. Overpriced ticket, overpriced camping , overpriced food, overpriced beer. Bollox! But what do you do?!?
    Agreeing with the political lyrics of the manic street preachers while raising a pint that cost e6.20. F*ck off . Pasta dish for e9??! ****!!! Bigger fool me...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Low - Oh dear!!!.

I was kicking myself for not going to EP this year just for these guys but seems like I didn't miss out! Ironically sounds like the same case their good ol' friend Mark Kozelek had with War on Drugs at that other festival haha.

I'm hoping they return for a proper gig this year, can't imagine the festival scene really suits em unless they're performing 20min drone reworks of their back catalogue :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

He has a point I'm afraid. First year in about 10 I chose not to go. Way too watered down and corporate now.

Just a money fest now.

I really don't understand this logic. If you are with friends seeing music you enjoy in good weather, how could you possibly have a bad time? Definitely worth the money imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sultan von sphincterstein

freddiemoore?? i'd prefer freddyless, thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sultan von sphincterstein

on that topic, i don't think women should be allowed to vote. who's with me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

lol having fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The amount of bickering that goes on in this thread is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 JackGM

they're fecking arses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

The amount of bickering that goes on in this thread is hilarious.

No it's not :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

Anyone here remember Witnness?

It's interesting to look back on when considering Electric Picnic's corporate nature.

There were no music stages anywhere at Witnness expect those inside the main arena. So if you wanted to drink and listen to music you had to go inside. The whole festival was about drink, drink, drink. Electric Picnic is now much more corporate than Witnness ever was, particularly in terms of 'brand presence', but the latter will always strike me as the more money-driven because there was simply nothing to do but drink. The whole festival was designed in order to get you to buy alcohol. It was a cracking festival, but it was quite ugly and very one-dimensional.

Electric Picnic has changed a lot since 2004, but thankfully it still has a strong creative pulse. There are things to do and see and despite its problems it's still a breath of fresh air when compared to what came before it. It's been an absolute game-changer in terms of Irish music festivals.

Whats your point ?

Advertisement