Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Was at Tame Impala towards the rear, ended up right beside Mr festival republic himself, Melvin Benn. He stayed for the entire gig. I was a bit pissed so I didnt want to wreck his head, quick hand shake and thanked him. Bit of a shame in hindsight so many things I could have asked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Did they show GAA match somewhere besides the Irish tent in mindfield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

H8GHOTI wrote: »

Yeah, a big screen outdoors beside the main arena entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ye on a huge big screen with about 2 thousand watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

yeah - big screen in one of the e-cigarette spaces - the new one that has placed a big corporate stamp on the festival (not needed from a festival goers point of view but obviously big bucks to organisers). They showed the IrelandVGibraltar game Friday night.

Speaking of corporate take over 3 Mobile also had a hideous box in a prominent spot at main stage (cheap and tacky - was like a hastily constructed bomb shelter with ****e corporate colours)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I'd a cracking weekend. Despacio was absolutely class. Spent the whole of Saturday night in there. Underworld, Jon Hopkins and Paul Kalkbrennar were great too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Mr.S wrote: »
    FKA Twigs was probably my favourite set

What was her set like? She lost out in clash central for me but I didn't meet anyone else who had been there, will really have to see her at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

What was her set like? She lost out in clash central for me but I didn't meet anyone else who had been there, will really have to see her at some point.

she was absolutely incredible, easily one of my favourites from the weekend! she is such a captivating performer, i couldn't take my eyes off her.

(Ears are still not right though, was in such a rush to get back from my shift in time to see her i managed to leave my earplugs in the tent, reckon it was worth it though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Reded

This I don't get, why did they let him back in? Tents are not exactly fire retardant and with one person badly burnt last year they should have had a zero tolerance policy and f'ed them right out

Hendrix is now vile! Camped there a few years walking through it now is enough for me! It seems like the campers there feel it's ok to trash the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

roll wrote: »
    I love Mimi but she was pissed off from start to finish! Maybe they were more pissed off with the small crowd...?

Wrong time and wrong band. Low would have been perfect on a Sunday afternoon. Who thought it would be good to put a minimal band on at 11pm on a Sat night?

In general the dance music polluted every other gig going on because that's all you could hear. Barcadi tent is a joke. If you're up the back of the main stage that's all you can hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 KaTEA

im just putting this here, cos I thought it might be a laugh.
    Trying to find a guy I sat on the shoulders of during Hot Chip and had mad craic with during the show, No idea what his name was, etc. All I know is he's tall, blond, and wore Ray Bans and a somewhat Hawaiian shirt.
    Thanks kid wink emoticon
    - short girl with feather head dress

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Martin_D wrote: »
    yeah - big screen in one of the e-cigarette spaces - the new one that has placed a big corporate stamp on the festival (not needed from a festival goers point of view but obviously big bucks to organisers). They showed the IrelandVGibraltar game Friday night.

Speaking of corporate take over 3 Mobile also had a hideous box in a prominent spot at main stage (cheap and tacky - was like a hastily constructed bomb shelter with ****e corporate colours)

If the, corporate stuff managed to blend in with the rest of the festival and be a bit imaginative it wouldn;t think it would be half as bad.

But the 3 penthouse was shockingly underwhelming
    sound atlas just looks really sh1t,
    Electric ireland was some marquee tent you see at the ploughing match
    Sure, didn't see it be no doubt it was sh1t
    E lites wasn't as bad , reminded me of the old bacardi area but it was still crap.

The only crowd that put in effort were , Barcadi as always and the tent thingy just-eat had.

They are raking the money in at this stage, it has nothing to do with survival or balancing the books anymore after the loss years. It is not a nessescary evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

KaTEA wrote: »
    im just putting this here, cos I thought it might be a laugh.
    Trying to find a guy I sat on the shoulders of during Hot Chip and had mad craic with during the show, No idea what his name was, etc. All I know is he's tall, blond, and wore Ray Bans and a somewhat Hawaiian shirt.
    Thanks kid wink emoticon
    - short girl with feather head dress

Bha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Anyone go see My Morning Jacket? They were frigging awesome, first time I've seen a band with zero crowd interaction, was kinda cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

they've never shown GAA matches at EP before this year (possibly last, i didn't go either year).
    Showed them in 2005 & 06 too, not sure about after that.
    Yeah, I think there was a cinema tent in (or beside) one of the campsites (Oscar Wilde?) and they showed the hurling live. Then they stopped showing it. I remember watching the 2010 final in a pub in Stradbally city centre. (There weren't any particular acts that I wanted to see at that time).

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭The Enabler

seachto7 wrote: »
    Wrong time and wrong band. Low would have been perfect on a Sunday afternoon. Who thought it would be good to put a minimal band on at 11pm on a Sat night?

In general the dance music polluted every other gig going on because that's all you could hear. Barcadi tent is a joke. If you're up the back of the main stage that's all you can hear

I felt sorry for them because of the small crowd. I wasn't gonna be missing them but it was a terrible time for a band like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Reded

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Woke this morning to a smell of burning in the campsite, at some point during the night an empty tent was set on fire. It wasn't that close to me but scary stuff.
    There was a large group of 18-20 year olds dickheads (they'd been giving ****e to passers by all weekend), apparently thought it would be a "bit of craic" I heard security were straight on it and chucked a few of them out.

Assholes!! No clue of the potential catastrophic consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Woke this morning to a smell of burning in the campsite, at some point during the night an empty tent was set on fire. It wasn't that close to me but scary stuff.
    There was a large group of 18-20 year olds dickheads (they'd been giving ****e to passers by all weekend), apparently thought it would be a "bit of craic" I heard security were straight on it and chucked a few of them out.

Hope it was more than that and they were handed to the guards to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭The Enabler

siblers wrote: »
    Anyone go see My Morning Jacket? They were frigging awesome, first time I've seen a band with zero crowd interaction, was kinda cool.

Yeah! Loved them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Synode wrote: »
    I'd a cracking weekend. Despacio was absolutely class. Spent the whole of Saturday night in there.

Spent a bit of friday night in there, superb setup, danced like i was back in a school disco for a while then realised that the ones i was with were looking at me a bit strange, danced a bit more then we headed off to Ms Jones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

lbj666 wrote: »

The only crowd that put in effort were , Barcadi as always and the tent thingy just-eat had.

yeah - Just Eat was good, handy and if they expand their menu will grow and grow. Nothing like having your pint and a bit of grub delivered to the table in all the mayhem

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

Catmologen wrote: »

I chose Blur over that.. what the **** was I thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I felt sorry for them because of the small crowd. I wasn't gonna be missing them but it was a terrible time for a band like them.

Yeah totally agree, a ridiculous time slot they were playing at, clashing with the Blur gig and also a stupid location lodged between 2 dance acts which didnt help in terms of sound, an early slot on Sunday or Saturday or a slot before Ride , My Morning Jacket or The War on Drugs would have been more practical!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Did I miss the 1975?? I didn't see them on the lineup but a couple of people have mentioned them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

allym wrote: »
    Did I miss the 1975?? I didn't see them on the lineup but a couple of people have mentioned them here.

Sorry meant The War on Drugs!!!!, my bad:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Really wished i got a ticket.What was the just eat place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I noticed small crowds in the bigger tents for other acts too at certain times. I thought Villagers was very flat even though he got a good crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Despacio was one of the few good things about this year.

The traffic was atrocious, spent 2 hours getting into Stradbally from the Carlow side of the town. Security in and out of the campsites was ridiculous and my main bug bear with the festival. I wasn't searched going into the festival at any stage and also it was downright weird entering the arena. Feeling down inside the pockets of my jeans is not ****ing cool. The queues entering the arena stopped you going to Salty Dog and Other Voices. And if I want to bring cans into the arena, I should be allowed to.

The amount of teenagers at the festival is ridiculous. It's time they started properly enforcing the 12-18 year old rule, because it ain't being enforced now.

It's also crazy to allow E-lites/Marlboro to have a stand there and simply poor form especially when you are trying to say that your festival is child friendly. Before I was very pro the whole e-cigarette thing, but that E-lites thing really made the grey area a lot bigger in my mind. Kids who were watching sport being bombarded with ads like that? Irresponsible from FR imo.

The bigger crowds were very noticeable both whenever you wanted to use to toilets and on Sunday when I simply left as it was a hassle being at the festival.

The gigs themselves were by and large great. Loved Roisin Murphy, FKA Twigs and Despacio on Saturday night was simply <3. Kinda disappointed by blur.

With good friends and some good acts it's really hard not to enjoy a festival, but this year I felt it became a little bit worse. I still had a great time, but I feel that it could have been much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Security in and out of the campsites was ridiculous and my main bug bear with the festival. I wasn't searched going into the festival at any stage and also it was downright weird entering the arena. Feeling down inside the pockets of my jeans is not ****ing cool.

The security was a disgrace, searching through people's wallets and pockets without asking is not on. I seen one guy in a onesie have the thing removed to around his waist before he even got a chance to stop them. Spoke to a guard about it on Sunday morning and he was saying that they should only be checking for alcohol and glass and the policing should be let to the police.He also confirmed at least 3 security staff were removed from the site for been heavy handed. This too was my main gripe, been going for years and have seen all the changes in the site and people, that's par for the course, but little or no respect for those entering the arena this year really annoyed me. As for the music, Battles were awesome and Low even with the odd timing were excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

First time at the Picnic and really enjoyed it, had a great time lounging in the sun, drinking, listening to some amazing music with some great friends.

One thing that was a bit "Eh..." was the camping.
    Is Hendrix known as the "party" camping area? When I first arrived Friday morning (female, camping alone) I found a spot nearish to the gang I was with and asked a few of the surrounding lads if they were saving the spot. They said "Ah, go ahead, but just so you know, we don't know you or your tent, so will more than likely wreck it over the weekend." I had the Oxegen camping fear! And I found a different spot, next to some sound lads from Cork.

And on the last night, my friends tent was raided and his money was stolen while he slept :(

Other than those camping woes, it was a fabulous weekend with amazing music and chilled vibes. The bands were on top form, I love Blur, so was going to impressed no matter :o:P

An experience I'm glad I had :)

Advertisement