Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Had another great time 3rd one in a row had missed it for 5 years before that through work.

Weather was a bonus.

I stay over as I live so close but still managed three late nights 3am-5am despite being in my mid 30s.

Defo notice the bigger crowds this year especially for the lads jacks.

A lot of younger people on the friday night were really out of it .

Me and my girlfriend walked one such Young girl back(carried her most of the way) to her tent in the Oscar Wilde she was in a distressed state had lost her sister and friends and was nearly in panic attack mode.

She was so thankful we stayed with her for an hour or more when we got her to her tent and eventually contacted her older sister.

They made contact with us yesterday thanking us for what we had done and that we were welcome up in sligo anytime which was a nice touch.

Food and beer in the main Arena is over priced.

The Booka Brass band,the beat Box dj followed by Riptide movement in the Salty dog on Saturday night around 8-10.30pm were unbelievable it was many peoples highlight of the picnic if you were there.

Overall a great weekend I suppose its a bit different for us locals who can spin home in a taxi every night get a hot shower breakfast and fresh clothes.

I'm looking forward to next year but I hope they can do three things.

Raise the Age group just a little or be stricter enforcing it.

Drop the crowds back to what they were pre 2015

Give better value in the main arena the food is over priced as is the drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

This I don't get, why did they let him back in? Tents are not exactly fire retardant and with one person badly burnt last year they should have had a zero tolerance policy and f'ed them right out
    Ye not sure either, didn't inquire much about what happened from them only got what I overheard from their loud chats.
    They took one or two of them in a van to stradbally to the Garda there took their details then let them back in. This was early monday morning so maybe the hassle of packing up their gear in the dark was too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

In work and the fear is horrendous.

Not so much hungover but absolutely knackered.

I had a fantastic weekend!.

Camped in Oscar Wilde which was ok - think I'll probably chance Joplin next year though, we were fortunate enough to pitch beside a gorgeous gang from Derry and definitely made friends - swapped numbers and facebook etc and have been chatting since.

We unfortunately had a clearing beside us which attracted a lot of the all night pill takers to sit and talk ****e all night, woke us at 6am each morning. Did have to go and get the Order of Malta for a young guy who took too many and was fitting on the ground early Saturday morning - he scared the crap out of me, was really worried for him. Was chatting his brother and friends since - hes in an induced coma at present but his brain scans are clear so fingers crossed for him.

Someone did take the biggest ****e I've ever seen in my life behind our tent and my OH had to have words with some young lad on Sunday morning who was shaking our tent/ pissing on it/ pulling out the pegs.

One of our neighbours was telling me that a guy fell into a tent on Friday night near us, landed on top of a girl who was sleeping and broke her nose - end to her picnic.

Other than that, the crowd was its fab-picnic-self. Met so many who were absolutely lovely. Including Pablo and his gorgeous OH at the Salty dog at 5ish on Friday. (So sorry to have lost you at BBB! just got separated in that mad crowd and couldnt spot you - also had to meet a friend at 6.30 so had to move :) It was great to see you). Sorry to have missed you Orion - particulary as we were there!!

As usual, I missed loads I had intended to see. A few friends were playing with different bands at some of the smaller stages and I failed to show up- just cant make plans at the picnic.

BBB were fab, as were The Redneck Manifesto on Friday night in the Salty Dog. Went to Manics for the OH and ended up really enjoying it, Al Porter was hilarious. Enjoyed Ham Sandwich. Blur and George Ezra were 'meh'. Shockingly really enjoyed Sam Smith. Couldn't get into Jerry Fish for Mick Flannery :( Highlight was without a doubt The Riptide Movement.

Accidently bumped into a ridiculous amount of people I know.

I didn't get searched once. NOT ONCE. Security BARELY peeked inside my bag each time.

Definitely noticed an increase in numbers although, to be fair, I found queues for the toilets and the bar to be pretty quick.

Didnt lose anything -apart from my voice and a small bit of self respect. Didn't get robbed of anything (actually the Derry crowd beside us were that kind to take in our chairs one night when we forgot and drop them back into us the next morning). Came home with €50 - a complete success overall!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sugarbeat

Back in work today with a spot of post festi sheepishness hanging off me, I'll be back in the room tomorrow....

Highlights were fight like apes, Interpol, Future Islands, Tame Impala, but alot of best bits happen depending on who u are with and where you are in a crowd, needless I'm still in love with B&S... The man in the box with the piano in the forest and lots more

On the other side of the coin, it has got very very big :( I hate to feel this but some on the magic has gone for me, I'm goin on and off since 2006, that cocktail slash tacky fairground area made temple bar seem quaint, there was an intimidating element to some of the crowd, less opportunity for the random silly chats with strangers. Oh and the constant advertising on the main stage screens between gigs...

I will always love EP but some of that chilled out easy going fairy light wonder that kept me goin back has been really diluted and that makes me a little sad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Oh and I agree with the cup refund thing being a load of bollox.

I just kept 3 or 4 of ours at a time and would hand them to one of the kids collecting if I spotted them. Other than that, I binned them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

First time at EP and I had an amazing time.

One thing I will say though is the lineup for the forest was poor, hearing "Show Me Love" two night is a row was a low point but still chin up an get on with it. People need to just relax an enjoy it for what it is.

Got cans into the arena every day, complete success, roll on next year!

Just heard that €8,000 was paid out for cup refunds and that 420 was the largest number of cups to be brought back by one person in one go..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Had this problem at the start then switched the phone over to 4G and instant internet (near instant empty battery but instant internet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Kinara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Yeah! Loved them!

Was a bit underwhelmed by them myself. And they were on my must-see list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Seems like a lot of people had great weekends despite some acts of scumbag-ary, ominous signs for the future of EP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

There was almost 50,000 people there. A few people on here giving out and all of a sudden the future of EP is ominous :pac:

I didn't see any trouble whatsoever. Everyone was having a brilliant time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

The traffic was atrocious, spent 2 hours getting into Stradbally from the Carlow side of the town. Security in and out of the campsites was ridiculous and my main bug bear with the festival. I wasn't searched going into the festival at any stage and also it was downright weird entering the arena. Feeling down inside the pockets of my jeans is not ****ing cool. The queues entering the arena stopped you going to Salty Dog and Other Voices. And if I want to bring cans into the arena, I should be allowed to.

Lol, I was with you right up until the last sentence. The queues are so long entering the arena precisely because everyone tries to bring in cans, or clogs up the lines standing there horsing the drink into them rather than throw it away. You can't b*tch about the delays but also express support for the things that cause them...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Lol, I was with you right up until the last sentence. The queues are so long entering the arena precisely because everyone tries to bring in cans, or clogs up the lines standing there horsing the drink into them rather than throw it away. You can't b*tch about the delays but also express support for the things that cause them...

Allowing cans into the arena would speed up checks, as they would then be purely about tickets/wristbands. Leave the drugs to the guards. Lots of booze sold at Glastonbury, despite no restriction on BYO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭siblers

In work and the fear is horrendous.

Not so much hungover but absolutely knackered.

I had a fantastic weekend!.

Camped in Oscar Wilde which was ok - think I'll probably chance Joplin next year though, we were fortunate enough to pitch beside a gorgeous gang from Derry and definitely made friends - swapped numbers and facebook etc and have been chatting since.

We unfortunately had a clearing beside us which attracted a lot of the all night pill takers to sit and talk ****e all night, woke us at 6am each morning. Did have to go and get the Order of Malta for a young guy who took too many and was fitting on the ground early Saturday morning - he scared the crap out of me, was really worried for him. Was chatting his brother and friends since - hes in an induced coma at present but his brain scans are clear so fingers crossed for him.

Someone did take the biggest ****e I've ever seen in my life behind our tent and my OH had to have words with some young lad on Sunday morning who was shaking our tent/ pissing on it/ pulling out the pegs.

One of our neighbours was telling me that a guy fell into a tent on Friday night near us, landed on top of a girl who was sleeping and broke her nose - end to her picnic.
    I camped in Joplin, the main one was full so we went to the one next to it down at the very end, there was a whole field that wasn't even 25% full, it was brilliant. It did mean an extra walk to wherever we wanted to go but it was worth it. Toilets were right near us and were in very clean condition, everyone was really quiet and we had no undesirables. Even the the full Joplin site next to us seemed really calm too. I was down in Wilde on Sunday night and it seemed like such a tip compared, very few food vans etc compared to Joplin and even the path to walk through was stoney and bumpy, where ours was smooth and flat. I'll be staying with Joplin anyway next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭ab4248

Had a great picnic. Loved RSAG at Salty Dog.Think he was my highlight. Will def be checking him out again. Ham Sandwich, Ride, Manics, Bleeding Heart Pigeons, The Coronas, Interpol and Hot Chip. Best simple stupid fun award to The Formidable Vegetable Sound System. great craic. Villagers a bit disappointing but still great. Fair play to parents that bring kids and are responsible but some shouldnt be allowed in with theirs. During Blur we saw what looked like a bundle of clothes beside a railing only to see this woman picking up a little girl (6 or 7) at the end of the set. Poor thing asleep on the ground. Didnt even see the mum until she picked her up. Im surprised she wasnt stood on. Thought it was a bit much.

siblers wrote: »
    I camped in Joplin, the main one was full so we went to the one next to it down at the very end, there was a whole field that wasn't even 25% full, it was brilliant. It did mean an extra walk to wherever we wanted to go but it was worth it. Toilets were right near us and were in very clean condition, everyone was really quiet and we had no undesirables. Even the the full Joplin site next to us seemed really calm too. I was down in Wilde on Sunday night and it seemed like such a tip compared, very few food vans etc compared to Joplin and even the path to walk through was stoney and bumpy, where ours was smooth and flat. I'll be staying with Joplin anyway next year.

This is really helpful - thank you! Joplin for next year, it is!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Did anyone make the boards meet up? Was fully intending on being there, but the main ticket-wristband queue delayed me.
    Managed to get to BBB at other voices, but it was absolutely jammed, was standing outside not a chance of recognising anyone!

Apologies to everyone, I had best intentions to make the meet up but I got roped in to film a new up and coming Clare band playing in the Bandstand in the Body & Soul area at that time, Mud Bubble. A live dnb act who were pretty amazing caught at bit of Daithi's set at the main stage too which was good. I did notice a scrote element at this years festival but they didn't seem to bother me and I found that the Cocktail Bar, Heineken Atlas, Bacardi Bar, Electric Ireland and the like attracted most of them. Highlights: Loved Grace Jones set, during introduction to Walking in the Rain, I wanted her to shut up about rain in case she spoiled Friday night by willing the rain, but the track was exemplary, enjoyed Underworld's set too. Friday night was fairly sharpish cold as a cool breeze shifted over the main arena. Myself and my friend repaired to Trenchtown for the rest of the night as it was the warmest place being enclosed and what not and soaking up the dub sounds from the Will Softly curated Beach stage.

Saturday: A quick trip to the Gala shop in Stradbally (20 mins from crew camp) for a coffee and breakfast roll. I woke early enough as the shifts throughout the week were early ones so it meant I could seize a bit more of the day. Caught a Galway friends set in the Oxjam tent, Miriam Donaghue which went down very well and then grabbed one of these pulled pork sandwiches from the German food stall. Milled about Body & Soul with my bodhran as I was going to be called up on the Body & Soul main stage at 4 - 4.30 pm to back my friends group for two numbers, the group being GIRO: Galway International Retro Orchestra. This being my first stint on a stage at Electric Picnic so it was a big buzz which I would like to do more of. So a few hours were spent with my Galway friends wandering about the main arena till they had to drive back to Galway to pay their babysitter. Highlights for Saturday for main acts were Chvrches who were very good and my first time catching, a hop to the next tent Rankins to catch the last quarter of Yasin Bey (Mos Def) who was absolutely brilliant and basically I stayed in the tent after his set to get a nice position for the following Jon Hopkins show. Man, this guy just gets better and better, the sound was incredible and the new stuff is pretty amazing. I noticed he kicked off with We Disappear rather than the usual Breathe this air, subliminal. I found the crew shortcuts were very handy, metal paths criss crossing the festival site that my wristband gave me access to but man, it saved a lot of walking and you had a better chance of making the sets in time. I really enjoyed Blur too, it was my first time catching them and they didn't disappoint. Saturday night was spent in the Body & Soul area soaking up the ambient techno of Donal Dineen at the Earthship stage and the subsequent DJ who followed Neil Flynn who was pretty amazing. But I had to give up, Saturday night was one of the coldest I experienced at any Picnic, it was bloody freezing. So back to my mates tent at crew camp for a feed of spliffs and some cans, at least it was a bit warmer in there.

Sunday: Highlights: Legend on the main stage were OK and a very colourful lot but I couldn't help thinking that they were a replica of the Wailers set from last year so a bit of a lazy booking by EP there. Went off to the Mindfield area to catch a bit of the Galway/Kilkenny game, there were two tents showing the match, the Gaelic tent and the News-talk tent, but could hardly see the screen for the crowd so gave up on that. Skirted over to the main stage to catch Jurassic 5 who were pretty amazing, this being the fourth or fifth rap act I have seen this year at Irish festivals.

Went back to campsite for a much needed rest and to also rest my back, one of the snags of constant concert going for a fifty year old is that your back hurts like fcuk after a few hours of bandsspotting. I enjoyed listening to Django Django's set from the Electric Arena in the crew camp, you could hear it crystal clear and it sounded like they completely cracked it too.

Back in the main arena we took the short cuts again to make it in nice time for FKA twigs, who I enjoyed immensely. At first I thought it was a bit much that she started with three downtempo numbers, but things livened up pretty quickly and she has some tasty percussionists and backers making a nice sound and yes, I grew to like these downtempo style numbers. Hopped next door again to Rankins to catch the last half hour of Paul Kalkbrenner who was a much needed techno thump to a packed out tent. Caught a bit of Florence which was a first for me and I was quite impressed, I found some of her softer numbers reminded me of the singing of Sandy Denny from Fairport Convention, so not a bad main stage closer. Caught the full set of Tame Impala who were rather good, at times they reminded of a 1970s psychedelic rock sound, they had a tasty edge.

With a few hours to mill I wanted to take in as much stages as my lens could film, so I managed to visit three, first stop was Trenchtown where my Galway friends the Dub Doctor was playing in the live music stage, I eventually made it to the Rave in the Woods where I was sorely disappointed with this housey cheese funk, no hard beats happening here, I can't help thinking shouldn't Kalkbrenner be playing this rather than a marquee. On to the Salty Dog to catch a bit of the King Kong Company who had a wild audience and music to match. Finally back to Trenchtown to end the night and the crew camp for the final toke and cans. Will have the review hopefully up in the next few days and the clips too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭morrissey1307

Had a fantastic weekend as expected! Plenty to see and do but no real bad moments! I haven't been since 2010 and everywhere you looked it was either Heineken, Bacardi, e-Lites or whatever but I guess you're gonna get that at festivals!

If I go again next year I'll definitely think about Pink Moon camping as the queues into the arena were ridiculous at times, and the heavy security was never consistent, one guy pretty much let the entire line through on Saturday night I think!

And the price of food and drink was expensive but I antcipated to spend a lot, which I did but all in all, a brilliant festival

• Advertisement

Pink moon is well worth it. We arrived there about 1pm on Friday and flew in. We went back out to get supplies about 5pm and the queue into it was mental. I heard some people were in it for nearly 2 hours. So if you do go for it, make sure you show up early

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I haven't been since 2010 and everywhere you looked it was either Heineken, Bacardi, e-Lites or whatever but I guess you're gonna get that at festivals!
    not really, EP this year was by far the most overtly branded festival I've seen, most festivals don't have anything close to it.
    the only thing close I can think of is SXSW or the odd foreign festival like V...

Synode wrote: »
    Pink moon is well worth it. We arrived there about 1pm on Friday and flew in. We went back out to get supplies about 5pm and the queue into it was mental. I heard some people were in it for nearly 2 hours. So if you do go for it, make sure you show up early

How big is it? And what sort of condition was it in? Was camped in Wilde and the state of the campsite was actually shocking, so much rubbish around it was quite horrible!

I'd like a bit more cleanliness of the campsite and convenience getting into the arena for next year so I'll try Pink Moon I think

not really, EP this year was by far the most overtly branded festival I've seen, most festivals don't have anything close to it.
    the only thing close I can think of is SXSW or the odd foreign festival like V...

There was a lot! Been going to Glastonbury since 2010 and there's nothing like it was at EP. You get the odd bar here and there and EE's recharge tent but you're not bombarded with big names. Even saw some women from Tayto I think selling crisps on Sunday morning outside the Londis

Still though, it didn't spoil my fun!

How big is it? And what sort of condition was it in? Was camped in Wilde and the state of the campsite was actually shocking, so much rubbish around it was quite horrible!

I'd like a bit more cleanliness of the campsite and convenience getting into the arena for next year so I'll try Pink Moon I think

It's pretty big because it was with Pod Pads this year. But it's immaculate. There's portaloos in a couple of key places and they're well cleaned each day. There's also a big area in the centre with more toilets, showers and a place for women with hair dryers and straightners. It's very quiet at night. We were only woken about 9:30am each day and we went back to sleep until 12pm on the last day.

We walked through Wilde and Hendrix and they were a mess. We also went to a mate in Chaplin and it was fine. It appears the campsites are better the further you are from the arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

It's a pretty big area, was much larger than last year.

It's nothing like the Mogadishu refugee camp that Wilde was. Tents are set up in nice little rows with good spacing, loos were like little space man capsules, well lit internally and cleaned very regularly, showers were cleaned regularly too.

There were a couple of skangers who left quite a mess around their tents but they were the exception rather than the rule. In terms of the people in there, there was a wide range of ages, not just the wrinklies.

The dedicated access just behind EA was an utter godsend

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

this year was definitely an improvement over last few years, line up wasnt my bag at all, but the security are improving year on year, getting in was improved at the gates, traffic was rough but i suppose thats not the easiest to manage with the volumes coming in and the towns set up.

Alot complaining about the branding, I think people would much rather all the branding than miss out on early bird tickets, the deals people get are seriously cheap for that size festival.

The guest area was magnificent and well worth a visit if anyone gets the band.

The dedicated access just behind EA was an utter godsend

They wouldn't let us back in through it (to get cans) on the Friday just after 12pm. Made us walk the long way around the gits. But yes, it really is very handy. Even the bar in Pink Moon is great for chilling and having a few pints

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭hugeglobe

Well that weekend was fun! Queues over the weekend we're grand for me bar the lads toilets at the back of hendrix, had to queue for an hour to use the portaloo.

In terms of young people and scummers I think a lot were soaked up by the electric Ireland tent and cocktail cocktail so I counted them as a blessing in disguise.

Tame impala and war on drugs were the highlights for me, hearing red eyes live was seriously special and drunken me shed a few tears listening to that killer guitar solo live.

Also would anyone be able to tell me the name of the stage in body and soul that was in that little separate area to the right after you walk in? It was one of the bigger ones and had a carpeted sort of floor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Missed the last two picnics due to work and after reading this thread have serious FOMO. So jealous

Does anyone know when the early bird tickets will be available and are they still running discounts if you can prove you've been to previous picnics?

Advertisement