Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Missed the last two picnics due to work and after reading this thread have serious FOMO. So jealous

Does anyone know when the early bird tickets will be available and are they still running discounts if you can prove you've been to previous picnics?

Tickets apparently on sale this Friday. Not sure if they'll be early birds or what the story is

http://clareherald.com/2015/09/electric-picnic-2016-tickets-to-go-on-sale-next-friday-996/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Synode wrote: »
    They wouldn't let us back in through it (to get cans) on the Friday just after 12pm. Made us walk the long way around the gits. But yes, it really is very handy. Even the bar in Pink Moon is great for chilling and having a few pints

Yeah, got caught out with that too on Friday, pain in the hole, made sure we got back in time on saturday after blur to grab a few tins and then suitably armed went off to have a look at the rave in the woods (had never been before so wanted really just to see it more than anything else), can understand why people might have been complaining about the music at it, if it was something i'll dance to, then it's probably not what was wanted there.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

How much extra is it to stay in the pink moon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 00kevin

175 for a 2 man tent. Worth every penny - showers were a godsend. Scary Dutch man kept the queues moving nicely.

Pablo, your app was fantastic. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

A 4 man tent with sleeping mats included was 430 euro. Was pissed off at the efforts I had to go through to sneak my beer in past security from Pink Moon into the arena, but now wondering if we got off lightly. At worst for me it was a pat down and a rummage through bottom of my backpack. Certainly no hands down my pockets or in my wallet. Phew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

Leaving this thread for good - way too negative and miserable. I've been going to picnic for years and had probably my favourite ever this year. If you cannot enjoy yourself there is something wrong! And I would look towards yourself and not blame the festival. It was bigger but it was able to handle it. I did not encounter any really bad queues, any really bad facilities. Pink moon camping was a pleasure. OK - the drink price hikes were cynical - but we all bring our own drink down to soften that blow anyway. As regards corporate bull**** everywhere - nobody has to engage with this!!! Just ignore the f**k out of it, spend time with your friends and see whoever the hell you enjoy listening to without analysing the crap out of every single aspect of it and arguing with one another over the minutiae.
    Highlights: jurassic 5 , underworld , Jon Hopkins , django django , hot chip , mother djs , face painting!
    Low light : crazy ass security beeatch on the pink moon entrance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

BananaR wrote: »
    Low light : crazy ass security beeatch on the pink moon entrance

She was a nightmare. We waltzed through on the Friday then she caught us every time on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 3 00kevin

risteardo wrote: »
    .......Was pissed off at the efforts I had to go through to sneak my beer in past security from Pink Moon into the arena, but now wondering if we got off lightly....

Had no issues at all, at one point on Sat breezed through with eight cans in my bag!

My first picnic, first of many. Only saw half of what I planned to, all the highlights for me was acts I blundered into. Django Django were not even on my radar, completely blew me away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Final post on this thread; if that 'Pablo Android' guy happens to still be reading, his app was absolutely brilliant, could not say enough good things about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I was patted down and my bag searched almost every time I went in to the arena. I managed to get a hell of a lot of vodka in by filling Ziploc bags and stuffing them in my bra! My boyfriend got full physical rub downs, including under his crotch and had to empty all of his pockets. It was pretty thorough.

There were way more young people there this year, I thought. The Bacardi tent was horrible, a couple of lads (off the head on pills) stole my hat and then tried to start on my boyfriend when I asked for it back. This year was the only time I ever really felt not completely safe at the picnic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

Cannot figure out how people expect to be allowed to bring cans into an arena while the title sponsor's bars are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

00kevin wrote: »
    Had no issues at all, at one point on Sat breezed through with eight cans in my bag!

My first picnic, first of many. Only saw half of what I planned to, all the highlights for me was acts I blundered into. Django Django were not even on my radar, completely blew me away.

Nice. We took a few mins on Friday to observe the kind of checks they were doing. Wasn't too bad to sneak cans in after that, once you knew where they were gonna look.

Snarky Snark Snark

Cannot figure out how people expect to be allowed to bring cans into an arena while the title sponsor's bars are open.

Tbh, I just don't even try purely as I don't drink that much at it and am just too lazy but I can understand the need for security after seeing a lad utterly gowled out of it on booze swigging from a bottle of jack in B&S on saturday, don't know how he got it through but if there was any sort of trouble, that could do some serious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

ElleEm wrote: »
    a couple of lads (off the head on pills) stole my hat and then tried to start on my boyfriend when I asked for it back. .

Doubtful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

siblers wrote: »
    I camped in Joplin, the main one was full so we went to the one next to it down at the very end, there was a whole field that wasn't even 25% full, it was brilliant. It did mean an extra walk to wherever we wanted to go but it was worth it. Toilets were right near us and were in very clean condition, everyone was really quiet and we had no undesirables. Even the the full Joplin site next to us seemed really calm too. I was down in Wilde on Sunday night and it seemed like such a tip compared, very few food vans etc compared to Joplin and even the path to walk through was stoney and bumpy, where ours was smooth and flat. I'll be staying with Joplin anyway next year.

Stayed in Joplin too, in the first field. Had planned to go to Wilde but glad it was full, looked like a bit of a war zone. Was fairly quiet and good atmosphere in the site, few groups spent the weekend sitting outside their tents in their own filth but didn't cause any hassle. Didn't realise that far field was open for camping when we were looking for a spot Friday - it was nearly empty all weekend! Next year we'd probably head for either there or the eco site. Queues for jacks there were grand all weekend.

You can see the big near-empty site at the back of Joplin on the aerial shot the Gardai posted on Twitter;

COOBzANWoAAr8gL.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

00kevin wrote: »

yeah i never heard of Django Django and they blew me away....

the android app was class..... well done Pablo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Not impressed by having my wallet checked and my pockets rummaged through on my way into the main arena from the salty dog entrance.

On the plus side it did distract them from the can I had hidden between my legs every time I went through security :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Doubtful.

It looked very pill- like anyway. All wide eyed and chewing their own faces off!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Yeah as I said in my earlier post one of the searching people even counted the money in my wallet. Wasn't effective at all anyway, every second person I saw in the main arena had their own cans / drink. And they made me pour out my water and try to take the cap nearly every time I went through...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭morrissey1307

They went through my wallet, all pockets and even went through my tobacco for anything hidden in there. Crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭The Enabler

Doubtful.

Why is that doubtful? It's fairly easy to spot someone off their heads on pills. Based on some of the posts on this thread, it seems some people think that pills automatically = people on blissed out love buzzes, and alcohol= rough lager louts out looking for trouble. It's entirely possible for someone to be on pills and not be a serene love buzzer filled with magmanimous feelings towards their fellow man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Cause they aren't the title sponsor, just a sponsor. If FR wanted to have a free flow policy it would be possible, but they decided against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

They went through my wallet, all pockets and even went through my tobacco for anything hidden in there. Crazy!

same here, went through my tobacco pouch and removed two pre rolled spliffs but let me on through with a 500ml plastic bottle of vodka, bizarre.
    anyone catch metz or girl band? thought they were both amazing, so much energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭The Enabler

same here, went through my tobacco pouch and removed two pre rolled spliffs but let me on through with a 500ml plastic bottle of vodka, bizarre.
    anyone catch metz or girl band? thought they were both amazing, so much energy.

Girl Band were a highlight. I heard they were playing in the salty dog on Sunday night, can you imagine!

Snarky Snark Snark

Serious question, just how far are security legally allowed to go with searching or is that specified anywhere?

I'm guessing that if you don't submit to their rectal probes that they can turn you away?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

Cause they aren't the title sponsor, just a sponsor. If FR wanted to have a free flow policy it would be possible, but they decided against it.

Yeah, I'm sure if they wanted a bring-your-own-music policy as well they could employ that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Worked very well in body and Soul the last 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

Serious question, just how far are security legally allowed to go with searching or is that specified anywhere?

I'm guessing that if you don't submit to their rectal probes that they can turn you away?

Dunno.

Like I said, I barely got looked at all weekend and I entered and exited a fair few times - must be my angelic, innocent face ;)

I DID end up in a queue in front of a security guy at one point, and said to the girl beside me, whilst he was molesting someone in front of me (he could hear) "there is absolutely no way I'm allowing him to pat me down". And he didnt.
    So Im presuming if you're assertive enough about how far you'll allow them to go, they exercise some cop on.. (I presume!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Sounds like security HELL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Girl Band were a highlight. I heard they were playing in the salty dog on Sunday night, can you imagine!

Their salty dog set was bonkers! :)

Advertisement