Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

Sounds like security HELL

there was no consistency, a local crowd from Newry were doing it Friday and Sunday and they were sound, quick pat down or just waved on. it was the Scottish ones on Saturday that were overly aggressive and thinking they were the fecking drug squad, no doubt they pocketed some amount of gear. I was with a Scottish lad and when I was getting the heavy handed approach he starts chatting to them about where abouts in Scotland they were from and they let him in without a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Going through a lot of the posts and comments here and there seems to be a general consensus (which I happen to agree with) that, despite a few issues, this years picnic was really excellent. This was only my third picnic (following 14 & 13) so I'm not a seasoned campaigner like fellow posters on this site and maybe missed the picnic in its real prime. Regardless, in comparison to the previous years I've attended, it was definitely as good - if not better and I certainly plan on going again next year.

I am in agreement, however, that the extra capacity was noticeable and I understand why people who attended earlier picnics may feel like it has lost some of its charm/quirkiness. I would also agree that the capacity needs to be either maintained at its current level or scaled back slightly to 2013 levels. Another issue, realted to this, was the younger demographic (I'm saying this as someone in their mid-twenties). This is probably a result of the lack of another festival (ala oxegen) to distract them earlier in the year - maybe longitude can expand to full-festival status. The younger audience didn't really bother me personally but kind of annoying watching them going around the place knowing full well they had no real appreciation for the music (apologies for sounding like a snob) and only there to be seen/check-in on facebook/send snapchats/maybe see George Ezra/Florence.

Regarding the music, Tame Impala were the highlight for me, absolutely mind-blowing down in the Electric Arena! The tent suited them as everyone there wanted to be there and knew the band and music. All the causal attendees were down at Florence. Despite some mixed reviews, I though Blur were brilliant, how can anyone complain about their set?? Special mentions to Chvrches, War on Drugs who were also really good. Looking forward to next year, bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

They went through my wallet, all pockets and even went through my tobacco for anything hidden in there. Crazy!

Yep they went through my tin of amberleaf too, pricks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cpt odd Socks

Great weekend was had by all.. Being up the front for Django Django was a highlight along with Blur, Florence, Jurassic 5, cc brez and so much more.

Some fantastic people where at Ep this year. Massive thanks to the girl who I never got to meet who handed my phone back in after I lost it on Friday and the lad who got my wallet back to me on Sunday. Loosing my wallet, keys, phone, shoes and socks on Friday was a definite low point. Overdid it a bit (a lot, unfortunately) and have no idea how I lost them, also woke up in a tent that was not mine. Big thanks to those people who't tent I slept in for not getting mad at me and for helping me find my way home..

Other than this it was a great weekend and enjoyed the Saturday and Sunday throughly. Second Ep and was an improvement to last year. Think the capacity should defiantly not go up next year though..

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

Anyone catch abandomans set on Sunday in comedy. I left the weekend chuckling his improv rap...

'WE ARE GONNA PARTY HARD
    PARTY HARD AT HELENS YARD'

Class axt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Great weekend was had by all.. Being up the front for Django Django was a highlight along with Blur, Florence, Jurassic 5, cc brez and so much more.

Some fantastic people where at Ep this year. Massive thanks to the girl who I never got to meet who handed my phone back in after I lost it on Friday and the lad who got my wallet back to me on Sunday. Loosing my wallet, keys, phone, shoes and socks on Friday was a definite low point. Overdid it a bit (a lot, unfortunately) and have no idea how I lost them, also woke up in a tent that was not mine. Big thanks to those people who't tent I slept in for not getting mad at me and for helping me find my way home..

Other than this it was a great weekend and enjoyed the Saturday and Sunday throughly. Second Ep and was an improvement to last year. Think the capacity should defiantly not go up next year though..

:D

But did you learn anything for that experience ?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭morrissey1307

Loosing my wallet, keys, phone, shoes and socks on Friday was a definite low point.

Some guy wandered through our camp late on Sunday night and had lost his trousers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cpt odd Socks

threein99 wrote: »
    :D

But did you learn anything for that experience ?

Indeed I did. Not really like me to do anything like that. First time it ever happened to me (and hopefully the last). My friends had lost me (while I was sleeping) and they where pretty worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

guylikeme wrote: »
    Anyone catch abandomans set on Sunday in comedy. I left the weekend chuckling his improv rap...

'WE ARE GONNA PARTY HARD
    PARTY HARD AT HELENS YARD'

Class axt

I thought they were incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Really enjoyed the weekend.

Hot Chip stand out as being the top act for me though Despacio were unreal too. Also just enjoyed feck acting around the arena.

Security is a pain in the hole and it seems to be getting later and later that the bars are open but I enjoyed this year better than last year.

When Damien Alburn brought the fan up on stage - "Laura has been to 131 Blur concerts." One of my friends just said "Laura needs to serious reevaluate her life!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

Julio Bashmore and Jon Hopkins setlists please...

There was a tune 3 or 4 tracks into the Bashmore set that blew my mind. I need that tune.

Anybody any idea what tune I'm on about?

Snake charmer kinda music and pretty much the exact track you want to hear at the peak of your LSD buzz?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sputnick123

What a great wkend. Went Thursday to Monday and stayed in camper. Camper site was a bit more pleasant than the main campsites. Great aul buzz going on. Re the security, it must be my age (almost 40 😢) but I strolled past security every time with bottle of "water" in my hand clear for all to see. They didn't open my bag once. I got loads of drink in each day not a bother. Didn't spend a penny on drink!! I did hear the stories of over the top searches though.
    My faves were Sam Smith, Blur, Manic st preachers and the Strypes in the Gerry Fish tent......Buying my 2016 ticket on Fri 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

Anybody any idea what tune I'm on about?

Snake charmer kinda music and pretty much the exact track you want here at the peak of your LSD buzz?

Why dont you tweet or fb him? might reply, you never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

So did the meet up happen? Sounds like it was a major fail anyway...
    Made it to booka brass band in other voices hoping to spot a few boarding heads but it was impossible with the amazing crowd they drew!
    I did get spotted by maximoose on Saturday though which was odd...

Highlights were grace Jones, shamir, future islands, bbb and King Kong company.

Biggest regrets of my life: not making it to despacio at all or anything from Kinara kitchen :'(

I love picnic but the crowd size was an issue for me this year and I might stick to the smaller festivals from now on
    But I'm buying a ticket on Friday in case I change my mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Some of my Galway friends under the name Dub Doctor played out the live stage at Trenchtown on Sunday night.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Sunday was my first time seeing Jape, I went in with low expectations thinking he'd be just another small irish indie act but he blew me away. The guy is a little maestro with no attitude who just seemed happy to be there. The booka brass band joined him for the last 2 songs which brought the house down. The War on drugs were a highlight for me and as a long time blur fan I had to enjoy their set.

Special mention for the absolute nutters who played at the de-programming machine stage in the trailer Park. Crazy stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Had a great time, thought it was slightly rougher than last year but didn't bother me.

Friday - Thought Underworld were ok, went pretty hard on the mdma though, Paul Woolford was unbelievable in the rave but my God did I suffer Saturday morning.

Saturday - Made the decision that the only way I would survive the day was to take some acid :P Had one of the greatest days ever, seen Alvvays, Mac Demarco, War on Drugs, bit of George Fitz, bit of Hopkins, then seen all of Blur, was tripping pretty hard at this point and spent most of the gig laughing at Damon. Got lost wandereing around Body and Soul then for about an hour, great times :D

Sunday - Seen Interpol, FKA Twigs and Tame Impala. Was looking forward to Tame Impala the most and thought they were top class, they genuinely seemed to be having a great time. The lights for FKA Twigs were amazing. Interpol did well on the main stage I thought.

Did anyone think Hopkins was ruined a bit by the gobsh*tes putting their hands in front of the projector doing middle fingers and stupid crap like that, ruined the otherwise amazing visuals.

All in all a great weekend, if not a little difficult, my own fault for the heavy drug use/drinking. Rave in the Woods line up was the main disappointment.

Had to leave EP at 6am on the Sunday to be in college for 10am, then had work that night. Possibly the most difficult day of my life, but worth it :)

Had a great time, thought it was slightly rougher than last year but didn't bother me.

Friday - Thought Underworld were ok, went pretty hard on the mdma though, Paul Woolford was unbelievable in the rave but my God did I suffer Saturday morning.

Saturday - Made the decision that the only way I would survive the day was to take some acid :P Had one of the greatest days ever, seen Alvvays, Mac Demarco, War on Drugs, bit of George Fitz, bit of Hopkins, then seen all of Blur, was tripping pretty hard at this point and spent most of the gig laughing at Damon. Got lost wandereing around Body and Soul then for about an hour, great times :D

Sunday - Seen Interpol, FKA Twigs and Tame Impala. Was looking forward to Tame Impala the most and thought they were top class, they genuinely seemed to be having a great time. The lights for FKA Twigs were amazing. Interpol did well on the main stage I thought.

Did anyone think Hopkins was ruined a bit by the gobsh*tes putting their hands in front of the projector doing middle fingers and stupid crap like that, ruined the otherwise amazing visuals.

All in all a great weekend, if not a little difficult, my own fault for the heavy drug use/drinking. Rave in the Woods line up was the main disappointment.

Had to leave EP at 6am on the Sunday to be in college for 10am, then had work that night. Possibly the most difficult day of my life, but worth it :)

Yeah felt the same, was funny for about five seconds but just got wearisome in the end, they just didn't know when to stop, otherwise it was a sublime gig, the sound even better than the last two performances at the Body & Soul festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Anybody see the Fat White Family ??

Any good ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Yeah felt the same, was funny for about five seconds but just got wearisome in the end, they just didn't know when to stop, otherwise it was a sublime gig, the sound even better than the last two performances at the Body & Soul festivals.

Felt the same too, got really irritating after a couple of minutes and I felt bad for him but then I just stopped paying attention to that and got on with dancing!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

And you lads that were at Jon Hopkins...

Any idea what the name of the track with the heavy drums in it was? Completely different to anything else in the set ?

Cheers.

Julio Bashmore and Jon Hopkins setlists please...

There was a tune 3 or 4 tracks into the Bashmore set that blew my mind. I need that tune.

Hopkins set list is almost identical to the Glastonbury set list but with the omission of Breathe this air.

A Different Light (Jon Hopkins Remix) (Leo Abrahams Cover)
    We Disappear
    Insides
    Open Eye Signal (Sleep Version)
    Open Eye Signal
    Halo
    Light Through the Veins
    Two Dancers (Jon Hopkins Remix) (Wild Beasts Cover)
    Midnight (Jon Hopkins Remix) (Coldplay Cover)
    R2
    Vessel (a small part of the track).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

And you lads that were at Jon Hopkins...

Any idea what the name of the track with the heavy drums in it was? Completely different to anything else in the set ?

Cheers.

Was the same set as Glasto, maybe you'll find it here http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jon-hopkins/2015/worthy-farm-pilton-england-33c95855.html

Despacio on Sunday evening, bass a little distorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Great weekend. Still prefer it to all other festivals including Glastonbury and Primavera as crowds are just better and meet more people I know obviously.
    • I had no problems with security at all through main Jimi Hendrix arena entrance. My brother was first time at festival shítting it going through with a few cans and opened his jacket to admit his guilt! The Scottish lad just closed up his jacket and pushed him into the arena laughing. Sound lad so we found his queue everytime and everytime he felt cans and bottles but just waved us on and said wait until well into arena before taking them out
    • Biggest woah image was when Red Eyes kicked in and we were down the back in centre, seeing a sea of hands fly in the air at the front through the lights and smoke. Hard to describe but was unreal, wish I somehow could show ye.
    • The Sunday crowd was crazy, teenagers everywhere. Why did they all stay around the cocktail cocktail bar?! Did they just stay at the first place playing 'EDM' music when they came in day-pass entrance. They loved their 'oh oh oh' and 'whoop there it is' chants. Surprised that a similiar type of that crowd at Kalkbrenner tent, at the back anyway. No real change in reaction when he played Sky and Sand, I thought place would go mental. Again this was all the entrance and back, we could barely get in as we were touring those tents for Twigs, Kalkbrenner, Girl Band and then over to b&s for Young Wonder.
    • Love the B&S, spent agges there. It was way less packed and is the anti-cocktail bar, attracting none of that crowd.
    • Crazy how small a crowd Young Wonder got, about 20 people up the front. When you compare to crowd 2 years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHoQyy8weLQ
      I suppose they had a few clashes and people who want to see them, probably have, loads of times.
    • We stayed in hotel which is worth every penny but had drinks tent pitched in Janis Joplin which is miles from taxi dropoff but only place left when we came. Was nice and relaxed back there compared to the bombsites of Oscar Wilde and Hendrix. Bus dropped us off into Hendrix Sunday evening and I got flashbacks of Oxegen 2005/2006, place was an absolute mess.
    • Biggest regret was not trying basically any of the food! We just couldn't hack the queues for Kinara Kitchen so just went to quickest place which was Hot Dogs or Burger.
    • Despacio was cool, caught a great moment when we first came in when Al Doyle was just meeting up with James Murphy and they hugged it out at the DJ desk and had a chat with none of the crowd taking slightest bit of notice.
    • I always have a song of the festival that I can't stop playing on the drive home. 2010 was Robyn - Dancing on my own, 2012 was Todd Terje - Inspector Norse, 2014 Rustie - Attak but this year is split between Battles - Atlas and Le Galaxie - Put The Chain On. Though for the latter I was just peaking on my once-a-year MDMA indulgence so it was definitely skewed. Jesus I was talking some cringe stuff and sent cringe text messages but all part of it I suppose!

Will definitely be back next year unless it's a terrible lineup. But want to go to the real Body&Soul festival again after a great time in 2012 for M83. I just think they spread a mediocre lineup over too many days, it'd be perfect over 2 days. And it's also too close to Glastonbury.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Highlight: Battles

Lowlight: Not getting anywhere near the tent for BBB. And that's really stretching to find a proper 'low'. Great weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Paul K, Jon Hopkins, Tourist and The 2 Bears put on absolutely delightful performances. Also think the Despacio tent is a brilliant addition.

My only disappointment was the rave in the woods on Saturday and Sunday. They nailed it last year with the likes of Sunil Sharpe but this year I wasn't too impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I didn't like the security this year. On Sunday entering the main arena after going through security I got taken aside by another security guard and fully searched. He emptied my pockets, went through all the compartments in there, stuck his hands in and rummaged in all my pockets, made me take my shoes off and searched them and searched underneath the collar of my jumper as well. A bit unnecessary?

Also a friend of mine had 3g of weed taken off him. When the security guard found it he put it in his own pocket, winked at my friend and then let him in. I also saw a female security guard at the back of MK who clearly taken MDMA. She was up on the little stand at the back with other security people. Eyes wide as saucers and mouth going non stop. At the same place they were also giving there yellow security jumpers to other people who appeared to be normal concert goers but I guess they must have been staff? They all had tattooes, tight hair cuts, piercings and gold chains around their necks.

• Advertisement

Caught this live DnB act Mud Bubble from County Clare on the Body & Soul Bandstand on Friday evening, check out the kid breaking the moves to the beats.

Advertisement