Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I think we need another Festival on this Island now. Nothing against this new EP, but it's now become the monster Oxegen was... The "Boutique" festival has become a victim of its own success with no alternative competition. A mid sized festival with somebody like Aphex Twin to headline would be ideal. Plenty of great mid tier bands out there to go along with a name like that. Make it about the music lovers again... not the sheep!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Are there not already a bunch of smaller festivals here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Are there not already a bunch of smaller festivals here?

yeah, but something more mid-tier. Like what EP was to Oxegen 7 or 8 years ago... just my opinion mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

nocoverart wrote: »
    I think we need another Festival on this Island now. Nothing against this new EP, but it's now become the monster Oxegen was... The "Boutique" festival has become a victim of its own success with no alternative competition. A mid sized festival with somebody like Aphex Twin to headline would be ideal. Plenty of great mid tier bands out there to go along with a name like that. Make it about the music lovers again... not the sheep!

It is nothing like Oxegen was....

There are plenty of "boutique" festivals in Ireland now, take your pick!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

A real highlight for me was I managed to go the entire weekend without hearing that "Alan/Steve" bit, a first for me at Electric Picnic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭siblers

A real highlight for me was I managed to go the entire weekend without hearing that "Alan/Steve" bit, a first for me at Electric Picnic.

Heard if Friday and again at the rave in the woods on Sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

Been going to EP since 2008, it has definitely lost it's lustre for me. The increased numbers, the overpriced shakedown for everything, the over zealous security, the noticeable extra scumbaggery behavior and the get out of my way young wans aggressive behavior , even a lot of the art installations felt dated, corporate and forced. The branding of everything, A sponsored rave in the woods, FFS.
    Next month i celebrate my 30th year of a various gigs in Ireland, including 5 Feiles, so no stranger to all sorts of fun, frolics and debauchery.
    But what finished it for me at EP was that Friday night outside The Jerryfish Sideshow tent I witnessed a young fella (sober, drunk or off his head, i don't know) knock himself unconscious after he tripped over a rope and fall head first into the corner of a wooden bench. A few of us around the area went over to see was he alright and put him in the recovery position, one of the group went to get help and we waited until a garda arrived and radio'd for medical assistance. We all assumed that someone in the group knew the poor chap but nobody did. We had to wait over an hour for the ambulance to arrive, AN HOUR, the guy was young enough to be my son and I had to stand over him like a bouncer and guide drunken or out of their heads revellers around him to stop them from trampling on top of him during that hour as the Garda disappeared. He could easily have lost his life during that hour, which as any medical professional will tell you, is the most important time of any accident, especially as he was unresponsive throughout that hour. An hours wait for an ambulance or any medical help is absolutely ridiculous. I do hope that guy was alright when he got to hospital. If anyone knows of a friend that ended up in hospital with a head injury (no obvious bleeding), could they let me know if he is alright.

Other than that highlights for me were Despacio, Yasiin Bey, Jurassic 5, Blur, Manics, Ride, Soak & Grace Jones.
    I must be getting old and grumpier but it's smaller festivals from now on for me i'm afraid. I'll leave EP to the young folks and RTE Z list celebrities, Red Bull and cliche obnoxious drunk young wans with flowers in their hair. It was good for a few years but I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I must be getting old and grumpier but it's smaller festivals from now on for me i'm afraid. I'll leave EP to the young folks and RTE Z list celebrities, Red Bull and cliche obnoxious drunk young wans with flowers in their hair. It was good for a few years but I'm out.

The 'cocktail cocktail' place was as bad as something you would expect at Slane.

The problem is that the other festivals are too small. Body & Soul is one I must go to though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Irish_rat wrote: »
    The 'cocktail cocktail' place was as bad as something you would expect at Slane.

The problem is that the other festivals are too small. Body & Soul is one I must go to though.

Cocktail Cocktail was the perfect honeypot for the young kids so dont diss it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I heard it 3/4 times. It's the ****ing absolute worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

I heard it 3/4 times. It's the ****ing absolute worst.

Now now Olé Olé Olé still holds that crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Been going to EP since 2008, it has definitely lost it's lustre for me. The increased numbers, the overpriced shakedown for everything, the over zealous security, the noticeable extra scumbaggery behavior and the get out of my way young wans aggressive behavior , even a lot of the art installations felt dated, corporate and forced. The branding of everything, A sponsored rave in the woods, FFS.
    Next month i celebrate my 30th year of a various gigs in Ireland, including 5 Feiles, so no stranger to all sorts of fun, frolics and debauchery.
    But what finished it for me at EP was that Friday night outside The Jerryfish Sideshow tent I witnessed a young fella (sober, drunk or off his head, i don't know) knock himself unconscious after he tripped over a rope and fall head first into the corner of a wooden bench. A few of us around the area went over to see was he alright and put him in the recovery position, one of the group went to get help and we waited until a garda arrived and radio'd for medical assistance. We all assumed that someone in the group knew the poor chap but nobody did. We had to wait over an hour for the ambulance to arrive, AN HOUR, the guy was young enough to be my son and I had to stand over him like a bouncer and guide drunken or out of their heads revellers around him to stop them from trampling on top of him during that hour as the Garda disappeared. He could easily have lost his life during that hour, which as any medical professional will tell you, is the most important time of any accident, especially as he was unresponsive throughout that hour. An hours wait for an ambulance or any medical help is absolutely ridiculous. I do hope that guy was alright when he got to hospital. If anyone knows of a friend that ended up in hospital with a head injury (no obvious bleeding), could they let me know if he is alright.

Other than that highlights for me were Despacio, Yasiin Bey, Jurassic 5, Blur, Manics, Ride, Soak & Grace Jones.

Felt the same way after leaving on Sunday night that I wil not darken the picnic gates again. It was wonderful and very special while it lasted but what every it was is gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

How half of this thread is going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Felt the same way after leaving on Sunday night that I wil not darken the picnic gates again. It was wonderful and very special while it lasted but what every it was is gone now

Ha. What are you on about. Bar some additional branding and extra people, the Picnic has barely changed at all. What's actually changed is you. You've gotten older and grumpier

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

Has anyone any details about the lost on found?

I saw on the EP Facebook page that would be posting something on the EP website but haven't seen anything yet.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Cocktail Cocktail was the perfect honeypot for the young kids so dont diss it too much.

I'm 27 and me and the missus got a couple of cocktail cocktails over the weekend, other than the hideous music it was a grand spot and not particularly badly priced...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I'm 27 and me and the missus got a couple of cocktail cocktails over the weekend, other than the hideous music it was a grand spot and not particularly badly priced...

Wasn't it €8 for a cocktail that was essentially Vodka and Lilt?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Space Shanty

A lot of the messages in here would reflect how I've felt after some recent Picnics, ie. that it had lost all its attraction, but I had an absolute ball this year, admittedly due in no small measure to how good a mood I was in for most the time.
    The War on Drugs were absolutely sensational, up there with the very best festival sets I've seen. If there is a better live band on the planet at the minute I don't know it. The crowd seemed to lap it up as well.
    As for the rest, take your pick... Alvvays, Jurassic 5, Paul Kalkbrenner, Pond, Ride, Hot Chip, Jon Hopkins, Viet Cong were all excellent.
    Future Islands were good but not as impressive as at Glasto.
    Underworld I've maybe just seen too often now, but even so I still really enjoyed it.

As for the camping, we stayed in Pink Moon this year instead of taking a campervan and I'd say it's worth it. Bar the annoyance of the security closing the exit directly back into that campsite on the Friday (I think) night it worked out well.
    The walk to the green car parks is fairly short, the 4 man tents were really big, the showers were decent and the bar in the campsite was a good place for meeting random folk at any time of the night... if anyone on here was sprawled on the bean bags at any stage between 4-7am any morning I was probably talking to you so thanks for humouring me!

As for the negatives, yes there were more ill mannered younger ones about, especially on the Sunday evening near the Little Big Tent toilets I thought, where there was a definite aggressive and unpleasant atmosphere. Otherwise, the extra crowding wasn't as noticeable as I expected it to be. The pints are obviously very expensive but it's the same at any festival or gig so no point singling out EP for that.

I genuinely thought after last year I would take a year off but I'm glad I didn't. I might do next year to try Festival No.6 in Portmeirion but I can see me going to EP after that for a few years yet.

• Advertisement

The cocktails themselves were fairly shíte though I tried 3 or 4 of them over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I had a fantastic weekend. All down to the people I was with and the acts I saw. It was easily the best lineup for me personally.
    Only issues I had was Pie Minister running out of Deerstalker early on Sunday and a lot of acts being delayed on Friday due to soundchecks.
    My highlights would be:

Friday:
    Daithi
    Daft as Punk
    Redneck Manifesto

Saturday:
    Future Islands
    War on Drugs
    Hot Chip
    Fight Like Apes
    Jon Hopkins
    Shamir (caught him in both Little Big Tent and at B&S)

Sunday:
    Frank & Walters
    FKA Twigs
    Tame Impala

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Toast wrote: »
    Now now Olé Olé Olé still holds that crown.

Nope, i'll raise you the bunch of morons who thought it was hilarious to keep breaking into 'Yaya/Kolo Toure' during Blur.

Nope, i'll raise you the bunch of morons who thought it was hilarious to keep breaking into 'Yaya/Kolo Toure' during Blur.

That's true muck savage behaviour if I've ever seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    That's true muck savage behaviour if I've ever seen it

Is that a Cork thing?? It was rampant down at Indiependence this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

thunderdog wrote: »
    Is that a Cork thing?? It was rampant down at Indiependence this year.

No- it's a football chant that started a couple of years back.
    http://www.quora.com/What-are-the-origins-of-the-Yaya-Toure-Kolo-Toure-song

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It seems to me a lot of the people who didn't enjoy it are people who have been going for years... maybe you're just getting too old? My first picnic was in 2010 and I enjoyed it just as much this year as I did then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ianeglington

Mr.S wrote: »
    That's always been the case with EP, security unfamiliar with the stages etc and volunteers generally have no clue where things are and will just point you towards a map!

Most of the stewards are young volunteers who just want a free ticket so there's your problem.

Youre not wrong ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The folks wearing the Indian head yolks obviously missed out on article after article in newspapers this year pointing out how stupid they looked. "Festival fashion" gowls. Straw trilby hats are another one. Gowls.
    Some women seemed to be in competition to see how much of their arse cheeks they could let hang out of their cut offs.
    Yes. I'm getting old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Not sure if it was mentioned....

But how fcuking splendid was that weather :D

Advertisement