Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

mimimcmc wrote: »
    Not sure if it was mentioned....

But how fcuking splendid was that weather :D

I am rocking a fine farmers tan right now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Everyone complaining about the branding, Heineken Atlas has been there for the last two or three years, there has always been a Vodafone tent and the like. Its simple, I just walk through them to the parts of the festival I do like. I can't stomach the music coming out of the carnival, Cocktail Cocktail and what not, so I just give them a swerve. I agree a bit more thought could have went into these branding places like the Absolut Vodka place at Body & Soul festival this year, they made a special effort to blend in and it was one of the top places at that festival.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I am rocking a fine farmers tan right now

Yeah I got a proper toasting on the Saturday too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Just about getting back to fully functional now.

Highlights:
    Alvvays / Soak / Staves / War On Drugs / Django / J5 / Manics

Lowlights:
    Sound at Jape / Villagers

Usual Highlights:
    The food / The craic / The randomness (although there's not as much of this anymore, prob because i've been going for years now).

Usual Complaints:
    *The overcrowding at certain points over the weekend made me just stay away from the main stage back to hendrix, but B&S and Trailer were grand.
    *Young wans just pushing their way through the crowd. No need for it.
    * Pricing of food and drink is excessive.

Overall another great weekend.
    I ate and drank too much.
    I slept too little and saw my missus and friends very little until Sunday.
    I lose the run of myself at the picnic.
    I'll probably go next year, but my body feels pretty old right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Space Shanty

Just about getting back to fully functional now.

Highlights:
    Alvvays / Soak / Staves / War On Drugs / Django / J5 / Manics

Lowlights:
    Sound at Jape / Villagers

Usual Highlights:
    The food / The craic / The randomness (although there's not as much of this anymore, prob because i've been going for years now).

Usual Complaints:
    *The overcrowding at certain points over the weekend made me just stay away from the main stage back to hendrix, but B&S and Trailer were grand.
    *Young wans just pushing their way through the crowd. No need for it.
    * Pricing of food and drink is excessive.

Overall another great weekend.
    I ate and drank too much.
    I slept too little and saw my missus and friends very little until Sunday.
    I lose the run of myself at the picnic.
    I'll probably go next year, but my body feels pretty old right now.

That's a pretty good summary.
    I think a lot of people would agree with the highlights and lowlights, and the points at the end.
    We all lose the run of ourselves a bit surely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

We all lose the run of ourselves a bit surely!

No, really dull and boring, i have pints at it but only between sets or at the tent and have a battle plan laid out of who I want to see and I stick to it. squeezed in 11/12 sets over the weekend and was happy with that.

Done the same for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

MadYaker wrote: »
    It is nothing like Oxegen was....

There are plenty of "boutique" festivals in Ireland now, take your pick!

Personally speaking i'd love to see more of a Download /Rock Werchter type element sort of festival in this country, Boutique festivals are fine and there is a good choice, love to see more of a rock/metal type festival in this country :(

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Nope, i'll raise you the bunch of morons who thought it was hilarious to keep breaking into 'Yaya/Kolo Toure' during Blur.

Went to the saturday of Forbidden Fruit and a massive crowd of dopes wouldn't stop shouting "whoop there it is" at Ejeca. At no point did he play anything remotely similar to that tune! Headwrecking stuff. They were all dressed in the typical summer festival ****e... Except there wasn't a drop of sunlight yet they had shorts & sunglasses on! That kinda shíte nearly ruins the atmosphere for me :mad:

No, really dull and boring, i have pints at it but only between sets or at the tent and have a battle plan laid out of who I want to see and I stick to it. squeezed in 11/12 sets over the weekend and was happy with that.

Done the same for the last few years.

Having a battle plan is still a good idea regardless I think.
    Maybe even more so if you're going to be a bit out of it.
    We managed to see 16 sets over the weekend and still ended up in a good state everyday.
    Without the Clashfinder to remind us where we wanted to be, I think we'd have missed a few of those

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I had written a few paragraphs on what I thought of the festival, but when I read it back I realised that I too will be accused of being old and grumpy (both of which I probably am).

so I went with a scoring system instead:

Music : 9/10
    Site presentation: 4/10
    New stuff: 2/10
    Vibe of the crowd: 5/10

I was at the boards meet-up and I only met canneverfindit, who is an absolute sweetheart btw. Sorry that we lost you in BBB canneverfindit.

Happy to hear that so many found the app to be useful. In total there were 5,000 android installs and 2,100 iPhone installs. I may have helped up to 7,000 people over the weekend. Feel good factor for me: 10/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Synode wrote: »
    Ha. What are you on about. Bar some additional branding and extra people, the Picnic has barely changed at all. What's actually changed is you. You've gotten older and grumpier

I got a hell of a lot grumpier when Sam Smith went on stage, talk about lapping up an audience, "thank you for buying my album" "my album gone 5 times platinum in Ireland......"...

But i do agree with some previous posters, while I enjoyed the festival, it has sort of lost that eclectic feel that it had in the past, now that it has practically opened en masse, i hope it doesnt go beyond a sauration point, although as Neil Young says,".........better to burn out than fade away........"

Anyone an idea where it might be possible to download some sets from the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I was at the boards meet-up and I only met canneverfindit, who is an absolute sweetheart btw. Sorry that we lost you in BBB canneverfindit.
    I was there too but (obviously) didn't recognise any boardsies and couldn't see your T shirt, and BBB was wedged.

Happy to hear that so many found the app to be useful.
    Massive help, thanks a million.
    Stick up your paypal or pm it if you want cos you deserve a few quid for it.

Ive just realised that i must have checked the app on my phone dozens of times over the weekend, but never thought to use my phone to contact any of my mates. Memo to self.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭John83

Happy to hear that so many found the app to be useful. In total there were 5,000 android installs and 2,100 iPhone installs. I may have helped up to 7,000 people over the weekend. Feel good factor for me: 10/10

Excellent companion for the weekend. Top notch!
    The map was particularly useful for a newbie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Thanks Pablo, the app was great. Thanks also to the poster who put up the pdf timetables. They came in very handy as my phone battery is brutal

nocoverart wrote: »
    I think we need another Festival on this Island now. Nothing against this new EP, but it's now become the monster Oxegen was... The "Boutique" festival has become a victim of its own success with no alternative competition. A mid sized festival with somebody like Aphex Twin to headline would be ideal. Plenty of great mid tier bands out there to go along with a name like that. Make it about the music lovers again... not the sheep!

Body&Soul has been filling this void for me for sometime now

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Body&Soul has been filling this void for me for sometime now

was disapointed by body and soul last year, far too much techno and much more crowded than previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

I heard it 3/4 times. It's the ****ing absolute worst.
    What the hell was that about? Thought I was missing something, camping in hendrix and heard people shouting it every 5 mins all bloody night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Massive help, thanks a million.
    Stick up your paypal or pm it if you want cos you deserve a few quid for it.

Ive just realised that i must have checked the app on my phone dozens of times over the weekend, but never thought to use my phone to contact any of my mates. Memo to self.

Honestly, I do not need any financial return for the app. I am just delighted that it helped out. That is enough for me. Interesting that the official apps were both deleted on Sunday night. I suppose it doesn't look good to have a fan app with better scores and more downloads ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I still had a good weekend but there were a few times where I was just like fcuk this two tier system where I'm being treated like a 'punter' rather than as a person who chipped in a couple hundred euro to make this event happen.

You can have a fantastic weekend in a garden shed if you're in the right mindset with the right people, but when you're paying 250 euro+ for a weekend, at the very least nothing should be actively getting in the way of your enjoyment, and in my opinion the overcrowding, over-zealous searches, and general feeling that you're just seen as a walking dollar sign was getting in the way of just being able to enjoy it. It was like being under occupation at times.
    Did anyone have to stop crossing over the service road between the salty dog and main arena entrance? It wasn't like previous years where it was like "Alright lads stop walking there for a second and let the car pass" it was "STOP ****ING WALKING GET THE **** BACK WHERE THE **** ARE YOU GOING LET THE ****ING CAR PASS" that's not a verbatim quote but it was that kind of tone like someone trying to control animals (badly).

I'm not getting old and grumpy, it was only my third picnic and I'm 20.. but there was just something different from last year. Just walking around the body and soul area last year every 20 steps I took there was something else catching my attention, the fire breather people and jugglers at night and the flaming hula hoop stuff.. look up and there's lights in the trees and great music beckoning you over from the distance.. But this year just gone it was just sound bleed from the main stage, food stalls, no real interesting art installations, no different feel to the rest of the site. Noise pollution was actually a pretty big annoyance this year every stand was playing their own music, I know that has gone on before but it seemed you couldn't go anywhere without a cacophony of mishmashed sound from everywhere, which was definitely different to last year.

The only funny alan / steve thing of the whole weekend was in the comedy tent, andrew stanley asks someone in the audience what their name is, 'Alan',
    Andrew Stanley: Alan?
    Several groups throughout the audience: ALAN ALAN ALAN ALAN. STEEEEEEEEEVE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Wasn't it €8 for a cocktail that was essentially Vodka and Lilt?

Ah, some of the stuff was ok, I had a reasonably nice cherry coke concoction. 8 quid for that is better value than 6.40 for a pint imo, but I was smuggling in rum and cans all weekend so I only bought 3 drinks total I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

Highlights:

Seeing 17 acts (Alvvays, FI, TWOD, Pond and surprisingly Kalkbrenner being highlights).
    Pink Moon (exit into the main arena was a godsend).
    Being totally oblivious to the extra 5,000 and feeling that it was pretty easy to get around despite the increase.
    Finally getting a proper look at the Trailer Park area, a gem of a setup.
    Ed, a guy who restored my faith in mankind by finding my phone on Friday night in a portaloo and contacted my missus/pals to say he had it. Returned it on Sun afternoon and almost didn't take a jot until I forcefed him money.

Lowlights:

Not seeing enough in B&S.
    Inability to find the RBMA Stage on the Fri night (my own inability).
    Losing my phone.
    TWOD/Battles and FI/Mac De Marco clash.

I'd argue that was my most enjoyable Picnic to date (think I've been to 8 or so). The days after it haven't been but alas a small price to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Honestly, I do not need any financial return for the app. I am just delighted that it helped out. That is enough for me. Interesting that the official apps were both deleted on Sunday night. I suppose it doesn't look good to have a fan app with better scores and more downloads ...

Have you got much app building experience ? I just graduated from college as a software developer and would be interested to see how you built it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

The festival landscape is so different to the way it was say 5 years ago back in EPs hey day etc. It was a kinda well kept secret for a long time , to the point it risked going under. Its surprising how well kept a secret it was consider how much of new market were mobilised simply by dropping the price of tickets.

Body and Soul kind of reflects the old vibe of the picnic but , its a lot smaller and the line up is incomparible. For atmosphere its great , but even B+S is under risk for losing that too.

With longitude, picnic , forbidden fruit and body and soul , life and all the summer gigs the festival scene is so diluted that there is very little scope for picking bands to suit your desired crowd. Forbidden Fruit is the most obvious with this, they had to book some stuff just for the sake of getting people in the gate.

Every festival here is trying a variance on the same thing and its about time something new comes along. Perhaps something more line up focused/less frills or just something that just looks different , theres a lot of ways to have a festival look creative and it not be just flowery psuedo hippy dippy sort of stuff. Look at melt and fusion in germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ianeglington

Threads kind of fizzling out but just wanna say I had my best Picnic ever this year. Fourth time going (second time for the full weekend) and even though i was working at it i saw more music and had better craic than ever before. Slept for 3 hours the whole weekend though, so it came at some cost!

Saw a few people say that when youre buzzing from tent to tent and not stuck with a group you have a better time and i have to say thats how it was for me. was able to see loads of different people and have a few different buzzes.

Music wise my highlights were Grace Jones (totally surprised but she blew me away) and FKA Twigs - sound was perfect imo and she takes herself just seriously enough to have a proper emotional impact with her show. Loved it. She played loads off the new EP (her best music yet) and the crowd seemed to love it up the front. 10/10.

Also caught half of Hopkins on my break and have to say he tore it up. Mother DJs were a perfect end to sunday as well - great buzz off them. B&S main stage had a good run on saturday with Meltybrains and EMBRZ being decent. Shamir obviously stole the show that night though. Body & Soul is a bit over my head, has always seemed a bit try-hard but i appreciated it as an escape from the dives that were the camp sites. always a good bit of space in it even if so much of the crowd makes me cringe. Underworld disappointed, as did Florence. Raging i missed Daithi. Some of the best irish tunes around coming from that lad.

Only things that really bothered me were the poxy security searching pockets at salty dog (really not on imo. a few close encounters) and horrible long queues for things in morning and early evening (but this one is to be expected and it was more having to walk around the queues that bothered me).

Dont wanna end on a bad note so gonna say again i found the atmosphere at EP15 the best i've ever experienced (out of 09, 11, 14, 15). Loads of craic, loads of new friends, a good line up and really fond memories. A bit sappy yeah but I'll definitely be buying my ticket for next year on Friday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

Anyone an idea where it might be possible to download some sets from the weekend?

setlist.fm is usually pretty good.

http://www.setlist.fm/search?query=electric+picnic if you're lazy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

lbj666 wrote: »
    The festival landscape is so different to the way it was say 5 years ago back in EPs hey day etc. It was a kinda well kept secret for a long time , to the point it risked going under. Its surprising how well kept a secret it was consider how much of new market were mobilised simply by dropping the price of tickets.

Body and Soul kind of reflects the old vibe of the picnic but , its a lot smaller and the line up is incomparible. For atmosphere its great , but even B+S is under risk for losing that too.

With longitude, picnic , forbidden fruit and body and soul , life and all the summer gigs the festival scene is so diluted that there is very little scope for picking bands to suit your desired crowd. Forbidden Fruit is the most obvious with this, they had to book some stuff just for the sake of getting people in the gate.

Every festival here is trying a variance on the same thing and its about time something new comes along. Perhaps something more line up focused/less frills or just something that just looks different , theres a lot of ways to have a festival look creative and it not be just flowery psuedo hippy dippy sort of stuff. Look at melt and fusion in germany.

It wasn't just the price drop but the change in the type of acts and general lineup. If I recall it began with the likes of the Killers. The guy who had been involved in the original setup of the festival had a big fall out with the crowd who had bought a significant share in the festiva who were pushing more mainstream music. You can see the two waring sides this year with one side trying to make the festival a commercial success and the other side trying desperately to cling on to its roots.

As Glastonbury has grown it has had to open up a huge array of zones to cater to slightly different demographics and tastes. Glastonbury has also acknowledged that drugs are part and parcel of a festival, they in large part drive it. To that end they have an area where selling them is quite open, a huge purpose built dance village and purpose built late night areas which are beyond comprehension until you have experienced them. Actually now I think of it, Arcadia was another great thing missing this year?

Only things that really bothered me were the poxy security searching pockets at salty dog (really not on imo. a few close encounters)

Don't think I saw any of that at the Salty Dog but if they were just going around searching random pockets that is definitely not on

Don't think I saw any of that at the Salty Dog but if they were just going around searching random pockets that is definitely not on

Yeah, the only place it happened to me. A bit anooyed how he reefed sixty quid out of my poicket and left it sitting on the table beside him while he went for my other pockets.

• Advertisement

haha oops misunderstanding, i meant at the salty dog exit and entrance, near Wilde

Advertisement