Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Tame Impala "let it happen" absolute song of the festival for me, haven't stopped humming the tune @ 5:00 in the attached video. But please listen to the entire song if you don't know it!!

http://youtu.be/odeHP8N4LKc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Tame Impala "let it happen" absolute song of the festival for me, haven't stopped humming the tune @ 5:00 in the attached video. But please listen to the entire song if you don't know it!!

http://youtu.be/odeHP8N4LKc

LOVE that! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

The "Alan!" And "Steve!" Thing was down quite a bit this year and I was only delighted with that

It's been the most annoying thing at any festival for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

right, what the fcuk is this Alan / Steve thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭siblers

sadie06 wrote: »
    The song of the festival for me was The War on Drugs: Red Eyes. I was completely swept away.
    It was an amazing 5 minutes or so, I'm not a huge fan of The War On Drugs but that song was simply astounding. The nearest thing to rival it over the weekend would be Song 2/Parklife by Blur when I was up in the second row going bananas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

right, what the fcuk is this Alan / Steve thing?

...to be repeated at every festival for a decade.

Snarky Snark Snark

aaaaaaahhhhhhh

right, thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

aaaaaaahhhhhhh

right, thanks for that

You won't be thanking me when it Baader-Meinhof's it's way into your brain at every festival from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

I'm an emotional wreck.. partly because of the tremendous lack of sleep I got at the festival, party because being back to work is no fun but mostly because going through this thread and reading about the gigs that I missed the weekend.

Gutted I missed Tame Impala, Future islands, Django Django and Battles the most.. wish I knew where I was that I missed them but I was havin a good time regardless.

Jon Hopkins blew my away.. Front and center, the sound was immense. Goosebumps all over my body for the entire set. Thank God I didn't watch his Glastonbury set before hand because the set was basically indentical.

Jurrasic 5 were great to get everyone back in gear on Sunday for another day of madness.

Mano le tough and Julio bashmore were full on. I was supposed to head to Florence but it was too hard to leave when your dancing like crazy.

And Despacio.. where I spent most of my time. The music, sound, people there, set up..all were incredible.
    3 days is not enough.. I wanna go back :(

I'm sad again.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Reded

MadYaker wrote: »
    It seems to me a lot of the people who didn't enjoy it are people who have been going for years... maybe you're just getting too old? My first picnic was in 2010 and I enjoyed it just as much this year as I did then.

I've been going for years, am allegedly one of the "wrinklies" previously referred to on here although I will dispute that!!! I had a wonderful weekend partied like a maniac!!! You don't have to be u-25 to enjoy a festival-it's what you make of it yourself. However in general there is a certain cohort of people at events these days and not just EP who have complete and utter disregard for themselves, for others or for property. It's hard not to ignore this behaviour and the more we ignore it the more acceptable it becomes! Why should it be tolerated? You will notice at certain gigs over the weekend everyone was enjoying the music lots of space around them then when one of the more mainstream bands came on the Oompa Loompas appeared pushing their Way aggressively through the crowd to get front of stage! Then the joy of ass cheeks in the face while they were hoisted shoulder high!! Lovely!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Reded

I had written a few paragraphs on what I thought of the festival, but when I read it back I realised that I too will be accused of being old and grumpy (both of which I probably am).

so I went with a scoring system instead:

Music : 9/10
    Site presentation: 4/10
    New stuff: 2/10
    Vibe of the crowd: 5/10

I was at the boards meet-up and I only met canneverfindit, who is an absolute sweetheart btw. Sorry that we lost you in BBB canneverfindit.

Happy to hear that so many found the app to be useful. In total there were 5,000 android installs and 2,100 iPhone installs. I may have helped up to 7,000 people over the weekend. Feel good factor for me: 10/10

Brilliant app! Thanks so much told everyone about it over weekend - I'm not a regular poster here but follow the thread was around meet up area would've love to have met the faces for the names but as I don't often post I felt unqualified to be there! Maybe next year! Went to BBB too great start to weekend! Agree wholeheartedly with your scores!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

How big was Electric Picnic when it first started out? And how did it avoid attracting the 'wrong' crowd? The line up always seemed quite electronic, was it just because Oxegen was there to attract the tops off brigade and they paid no attention to EP?

There are so many festivals already in Ireland, could there even be enough demand for another?

there are a lot of festivals but the majority of them are indistinguishable, with completely interchangeable line-ups. there's a gap for a festival that plows a bit of a niche. Sounds from a Safe Harbour is a nice idea, think it's a slight bit expensive, but definitely something like that on a larger scale would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Thoroughly enjoyed this EP and probably my favourite so far.

Part of the reason is that I didn't have a list of 30 bands I wanted to see. About four must-sees and after that was wandering and investigating.

Hey I met a boardsie in Other Voices on Friday.

Blur, Manics, Coronas, Riptide Movement all put on great performances. Thanks to whoever here posted the video of Jurassic 5, they were my absolute favourite new act of the weekend.

All Porter was fantastic on Sunday. Lots of time spent in comedy tent.

Oh and we had the dubious honour of being the first people in family camping in 12 years to have their tent slashed. They went to open door of tent, but opened the netting window on door and slashed the netting. They were disturbed before getting into tent, although there was bugger all there bar food, sleeping bags, etc.

Finally and not least, Despacio is the coolest thing on this planet. I want to live in it. Maybe I could build it in my living room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

-=al=- wrote: »
    The "Alan!" And "Steve!" Thing was down quite a bit this year and I was only delighted with that

It's been the most annoying thing at any festival for years!

Got a good hour of Alan / Steve on Friday night! First festival so I found it funny enough, can see how it'd get old though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Any one catch the King Kong company at the Salty dog on Sunday night, reminded me a bit of a pumped up flaming lips!! Atmosphere was absolutely electric! The crowd were bonkers! Excellent drummer! Really enjoyed it!!

Just uploaded this small clip now, enjoy.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Snarky Snark Snark

Reded wrote: »
    they were hoisted shoulder high!! Lovely!!

that really needs to stop, previous years, if some one did it, there was space to shift to the side but for some of the acts there just was not the space to move when some in front of you did it.

asking nicely if they would stop it resulted in being told to **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

seachto7 wrote: »
    Maybe there *might* be room for a hard rock/metal fest in Ireland with well known bands? But perhaps, financially it would be a non runner what with the more established bigger hard rock / metal festivals in the UK and in Europe.
    Or perhaps a hard rock / metal stage at EP?

I had a look at the lineups down through the years earlier, and for my tastes (I'm 38) the quality seemed to peak around 2008, but that's subjective.

There seemed to be more "influential" bands on the bill, but that's not to say that a lot of bands on this years bill won't go on to be influential themselves in years to come.

The only way the EP can "get rid" of the young crowd is to attract bands who would have an older fan base. To counter that, look at Blur, Underworld, Manics, Grace Jones. All people in their mid to late 40s or older who've been around the block, and the kids still want a piece of them.

Good post, I definitely would love to see more of a rock/metal element type of festival in this country, the budget is'nt there unfortunately and especially when you compare to the likes of other festivals in Europe with the likes of Download and Rock Werchter, its basically a non runner.

I mean look at the lineup for Download 2015 :eek:

http://downloadfestival.co.uk/lineup-poster

And as for Rock Werchter 2015

http://www.rockwerchter.be/en/line-up/overview

While its interesting to note that they were a number of acts appearing at EP as well, obviously with the size , resources, not to mention an extra day of performing, you can throw in the likes of Faith No More, Lenny Kravitz and Ryan Adams.

Last major rock / metal fest we had in this country was Ozz Fest in Punchestown back in May in 2002, that was a great line up, bearing in mind Ozzy couldnt turn up due to health issues, you has Slayer, Therapy, System of A Down and my favourites Tool.

Only way you would get a major rock or hard rock performance at EP, would only be a certain band reforming a long hiatus, but yeah would love to see a more alternative/indie/hard rock type fest or even performers been thrown into EP, mix it up a bit, thats for sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭proudi

Ho99o9 absolutely blew Body and Soul apart on Friday night. Them and Metz were the hightlights of the weekend for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

I had written a few paragraphs on what I thought of the festival, but when I read it back I realised that I too will be accused of being old and grumpy (both of which I probably am).

so I went with a scoring system instead:

Music : 9/10
    Site presentation: 4/10
    New stuff: 2/10
    Vibe of the crowd: 5/10

I was at the boards meet-up and I only met canneverfindit, who is an absolute sweetheart btw. Sorry that we lost you in BBB canneverfindit.

Happy to hear that so many found the app to be useful. In total there were 5,000 android installs and 2,100 iPhone installs. I may have helped up to 7,000 people over the weekend. Feel good factor for me: 10/10

Fairly sure the lead singer from Alvvays was using it! Said a quick hello to her and the guitar player at Battles and caught a glimpse of what I thought was your iPhone app! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

Any of the people dissing The Killers actually go to the gig? One of the best acts I've seen in 4 years at the Picnic and I'm not even a fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

grindle wrote: »

...to be repeated at every festival for a decade.

Tbf that video is pretty funny, and I enjoyed it the first time I heard it in 2012.. but last year it was incessant.

Fun in the sunny Body & Soul Village.

The electronic insanity that was Daithi, amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Any of the people dissing The Killers actually go to the gig? One of the best acts I've seen in 4 years at the Picnic and I'm not even a fan.

i AM a fan, always liked their stuff but last seem them live at oxegen 2004 and 2005. i was at todd terje in casa bacardi and then hot chip so missed it at ep2012. kinda regret it as i've seen the other 2 loads since.

i've no idea why they're hated on so much! hot fuss and sams town were class. much better than someone like mumford and sons or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Did anyone on here go to Viet Cong? Missed them due to the Interpol clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Irish_rat wrote: »

Yeah, left Interpol because of the shocking sound and headed to see these guys. Liked them!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭proudi

They were very good. The drummer moshed with us at Metz straight after.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Space Shanty

sadie06 wrote: »

The song of the festival for me was The War on Drugs: Red Eyes. I was completely swept away.

Over and out...

Agree with this 100%.
    It was magical stuff.
    A real 'close the eyes and let yourself go' moment.
    Definitely the best gig I've seen in all my EPs

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

Yeah, that run of Viet Cong/Metz was exactly what this cat was after. Was intending staying for Girl Band but headed to Kalkbrenner instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Space Shanty

Yeah Viet Cong and Metz were a good start to Sunday evening.
    No messing about

Advertisement