Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I would agree with you if it were in a crumpled heap or if it fell from a height. If it did fall off a trailer it would have fallen, what, 6 feet?

An old wooden boat and you think it would be grand if it fell 6 feet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

lbj666 wrote: »
    An old wooden boat and you think it would be grand if it fell 6 feet ?

An old wooden boat and you think a 6ft fall damages it beyond repair......yet they can "plonk" tonnes of equipment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

So is it right to assume that it's current resting place is not where it was intended to be placed. Guess closer to main stage. It's unusual to have stages so close to camping I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

Salty-Dog-stage.jpg

Well it's very handy that it fell off a trailer and landed gently against a tree.

Would be interested to hear how an arctic lorry and trailer, with a great big boat, got up through the wooded area also. Or maybe all those mature trees fell off a trailer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

I heard the salty dog is there for thousands of years when it accidentally beached (there was water there then). The trees grew around it.

• Advertisement

budgemook wrote: »
    I heard the salty dog is there for thousands of years when it accidentally beached (there was water there then). The trees grew around it.

And Electric picnic has been going on since the 14th century , long before the invention of electricity. Only POD in 2004 started to commericalise it , some people say it lost its soul well before then , sometime in the 18th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

budgemook wrote: »

Naw, your getting mixed up that was in the 'LOST' storyline. :pac:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I wonder how they got the bus "that crashed to earth" to the site, huge fecking thing to be carrying on a trailer/lorry. Unless it was driveable, even then, would have taken some effort to get it out of the hole it was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Roscoe P Coltrane

First time I had a chance to look at the thread since ep as I had to fly out tuesday for work. A big thanks to Pablo for an awesome app- I help with the volunteers and (hopefully) got most of them to use it and to recommend it to punters. Bodhrandudes videos & blog are always a good reminder of stuff you saw, stuff you wished you saw and stuff you have no idea if you saw or not as you were too wasted to realise!- for anybody who has never met him, he is a really cool bloke & a legend with the volunteer crew.
    Like most posters, I did notice the extra crowds this year and when discussing with some of the crew on monday, we thought that another entrance to the arena to add to hendrix & salty dog options, might be enough to dilute the crowds at each point (pink moon entrance is fine for them, but not sufficient for the large crowds). I also requested that Daft Punk be added for 2016 and was told that my request would be passed on to Melvin Benn.....

Yup Daft Punk would be a nice shout but I reckon at this point they would be more likely to play a venue like Marley Park or the Aviva and sell it out 3 or 4 times and thats if they will bother their ass touring again. I'll put this out there again, Aphex Twin, surely now he has released enough stuff, what with Warp releases and Soundcloud dumps to have a good 2 hour set of new material. Whenever he gets that idea together with Weirdcore to tour an installation show perhaps they might take over the Electric Arena one night like the way Despacio curated the old Little Big Tent marquee this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Well, i just wanted to document my experience of the weekend.. before the alcohol soaked brain mixes up the real stuff with the imaginary.

We booked the pink moon site this year and what was a bad start to the weekend was the monster queues to get in. Apparently, they are supposed to let people in from 9 am but this was delayed by 2 hours which left a huge backlog.

The 4 man wigwam we got was fine, as were the toilets, and new entrance into the arena area. The Cracked Pepper was fine for a place to hang out, but when i was charged 7e for 2 reheated sausages on a bap with no butter, i didn't buy anything else from them all weekend.

In terms of the acts I saw, Ride, My Morning Jacket, Belle and Sebastian, Grace Jones, Underworld, Alvvays, Future Islands, War on Drugs, Hot Chip, Fight Like Apes, Sultans of Ping, Blur, Here we go Magic, Fickle Friends, Silents, Jurassic 5, Jape, Django Django, Frank and Walters, Tame Impala, Le Galaxie and the compulsory King Kong Kompany to wrap things up.

Its funny - I was worried about the quality of the line up but one thing about the EP is that it causes me to brush up on some new bands and i end up legging it around trying to fit everything in. I missed Despachio, FKA Twigs, Interpol and others.

Sultans was my favourite over the weekend (Niall is still an absolute spacer!) and was a fantastic nostalgia gig. Fight like Apes put on a great show and Le Galaxie were on the money this year.

I did notice the extra people on the Sunday moreso than any other day, but the bars moved quickly in terms of service. the extra 20c was a bit annoying imo.

Have my tickets booked for next year.

The App was fantastic, but as I posted here I couldn't make the meet up due to the queues getting in, cheers Pablo :(

PS - I woke on the Friday night/Saturday morning shivering with the cold, even though I had "layered up" in the sleeping bag. I have had a cold for the week now so I reckon that was it kicking in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

siblers wrote: »
    I wonder how they got the bus "that crashed to earth" to the site, huge fecking thing to be carrying on a trailer/lorry. Unless it was driveable, even then, would have taken some effort to get it out of the hole it was in.

Yea it was driveable alright.
    Saw it driving over on the Monday before the picnic, and then back again the following Wednesday i think.

Yea it was driveable alright.
    Saw it driving over on the Monday before the picnic, and then back again the following Wednesday i think.

Now I thought I saw quite a lot at the festival, but missed this crashed to earth bus, where was this on the festival site?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Now I thought I saw quite a lot at the festival, but missed this crashed to earth bus, where was this on the festival site?

up near the salty dog entrance in trailer park, couldn't miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

everlast75 wrote: »
    We booked the pink moon site this year and what was a bad start to the weekend was the monster queues to get in. Apparently, they are supposed to let people in from 9 am but this was delayed by 2 hours which left a huge backlog.

I don't think that was the issue. I arrived with my mates at pink moon at around 11.30am and we literally walked straight to the desk and were checked in. So there was no backlog at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I don't think that was the issue. I arrived with my mates at pink moon at around 11.30am and we literally walked straight to the desk and were checked in. So there was no backlog at that time.

Same here. The queues later on were because of the sheer number of people wanting to check in. I was so happy we got there early

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I was the same, got there around 1.30 or so and about 2 people in front of me and we checked in within 5 mins, was great. Queue for Podpads looked quite long though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Anyone get the strong smell of sh*t on Sunday night outside the Jerry Fish tent?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

seachto7 wrote: »
    Anyone get the strong smell of sh*t on Sunday night outside the Jerry Fish tent?

I dont recall. I was there around 10pm for Mick Flannery and didnt smell anything out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mouzone

seachto7 wrote: »
    Yeah got it outside during Fight Like Apes. It was quite pungent.

• Advertisement

Yup Daft Punk would be a nice shout but I reckon at this point they would be more likely to play a venue like Marley Park or the Aviva and sell it out 3 or 4 times and thats if they will bother their ass touring again. I'll put this out there again, Aphex Twin, surely now he has released enough stuff, what with Warp releases and Soundcloud dumps to have a good 2 hour set of new material. Whenever he gets that idea together with Weirdcore to tour an installation show perhaps they might take over the Electric Arena one night like the way Despacio curated the old Little Big Tent marquee this year.

Both Daft Punk and Aphex Twin do what ever the hell they feel like , new material barely comes into it.

I doubt DP would ever appear even at the now oversized version of the Picnic. Their appearance fee would be astronomical for a start. They'd fill croke park easily by themselves at this rate, no promoter here is gonna put them on a festival bill here knowing that they can make far more out of them in their own gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭PatrickIde1187

Hearing rumors of Daft Punk and , or, Red Hot Chilli Peppers playing EP are making me crazy excited , tho cant see either playing a festival rather than a stadium show. Dont mind who gets added as I will be there either way but if we are doing wish-lists how about Toots & the Maytals , ZZ Top , The Specials , and Living Colour!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Hearing rumors of Daft Punk and , or, Red Hot Chilli Peppers playing EP are making me crazy excited , tho cant see either playing a festival rather than a stadium show. Dont mind who gets added as I will be there either way but if we are doing wish-lists how about Toots & the Maytals , ZZ Top , The Specials , and Living Colour!.

Living Colour would be epic but I'm not sure a lot of people would have ever heard of them, Toots don't Toot in public no more.

RHCP, bleuuuuurgh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

everlast75 wrote: »

In terms of the acts I saw, Ride, My Morning Jacket, Belle and Sebastian, Grace Jones, Underworld, Alvvays, Future Islands, War on Drugs, Hot Chip, Fight Like Apes, Sultans of Ping, Blur, Here we go Magic, Fickle Friends, Silents, Jurassic 5, Jape, Django Django, Frank and Walters, Tame Impala, Le Galaxie and the compulsory King Kong Kompany to wrap things up.

were you tent hopping a lot or did you manage to clone yourself?

were you tent hopping a lot or did you manage to clone yourself?

They were next door to each other so they must have done half and half, I done Chvrches then unto Yasiin Bey next door followed by Hopkins, same the following night with FKA twigs and jumping over to Paul Kalkbrenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

They were next door to each other so they must have done half and half, I done Chvrches then unto Yasiin Bey next door followed by Hopkins, same the following night with FKA twigs and jumping over to Paul Kalkbrenner.

yeah I know, I was at Le Galaxie at the expense of missing Tame Impala, I would have found it hard to leave one for the other when the place is hopping.
    I would rarely leave a gig in a tent because the vibe was so good, the main stage however I would pop in and out of it.

I am just listening to system of a down at the moment and thinking to myself, hmm. Not a perfect fit but neither was Ellie f**king Goulding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Anyone any idea of when the first announcement of acts will be?

Synode wrote: »
    Anyone any idea of when the first announcement of acts will be?

Near Xmas maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

First announcement for 2015 wasn't made until March IIRC

Advertisement