Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

A load of pony , if it was loss making why would they still put it on every year , of course they are making money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

well no, they weren't, that's why John Reynolds/POD had to sell 71% of EP to MCD/Live Nation as it was basically bankrupt and unable to continue for another year. money was then put in by Festival Republic to keep it afloat.
    companies swallow losses all the time in the hopes of returning to profitability.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Kanye just announced for Glastonbury , Safe to say cant see him at EP especially after the poor turn out to his last gig here and the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Kanye just announced for Glastonbury , Safe to say cant see him at EP especially after the poor turn out to his last gig here and the budget

That will be "interesting" to watch on tele

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Huge fan of Kanye's music but have seen him live three times and he's been rubbish each one. Just isn't a performer so we're better off without him!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Fat_Friar

Just paid my first installment for my first ever EP! :D

Can anyone who has been there before tell me whats the story with camping, like I've been to Indiependence where there's 2 big fields and its just first come first served, and everyone rushes to set up in the best spots. I was also at Oxegen a few years back and you were assigned to one of 3 camp areas that you had to go to?

Thoughts or experiences on coming early or late on the Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

F**k Kanye, get Kendrick Lamar booked. New album is a really good listen

Snarky Snark Snark

Fat_Friar wrote: »
    Just paid my first installment for my first ever EP! :D

Can anyone who has been there before tell me whats the story with camping, like I've been to Indiependence where there's 2 big fields and its just first come first served, and everyone rushes to set up in the best spots. I was also at Oxegen a few years back and you were assigned to one of 3 camp areas that you had to go to?

Thoughts or experiences on coming early or late on the Friday?

Well, there's a bunch of fields which are currently home to cows and stuff. You will need to get there early, not so much to secure a good spot, there are no good spots, but to give you time to dig your moat.

A moat at a festival is a prized and useful thing. You will be judged upon it by the opposite sex for how deep, wide and moist it is, this will help you find a mate for the weekend, it's the festival equivalent of a bowerbird nest.

It's useful value is in protecting your tent from Tusken raiders (they abound every year, they're easily startled but they'll be back and in greater numbers) and more importantly by keeping it dry from the two bigger dangers. The first is simple flooding from the natural inclement elements by providing proper drainage. The second damp danger comes from the airborne lashings of drunken wee which spray through out the night as revellers vainly search for their own tent whilst simultaneously attempting to empty their bladders which as anyone who has drunkenly tried to take a wee knows, is difficult. When it comes time to "whip out the thunder snake", alcohol causes it to migrate to a different part of the crotch from where you'd last left it, this means a search and struggle to get it out by which time you're spurting like a garden hose on full pressure with no directional control what.so.ever.

So yeah, earlier is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I'm usually a get there early Jimi Hendrix man but last year I ended up in Janis Joplin due to being late and other people being late also... I have to say it was actually alright and much more chilled out + had it's own section of toilets/water near enough by too.

You walk for a few minutes more extra but there was no hassle with a chilled out vibe, wouldn't have thought about camping there before but it's not too bad if you arrive a little later.

Don't stress about it anyway.... it'll all be grand if you have a small bit of common sense. Set up your tents with your friends in a nice way and avoid the dodgy lookin groups of cluds near some sort of landmark not to close to the edges, outrageously loud 4am food stalls, ghost trains and toilets. North facing tent if you hate morning sun, but that's one for the hardcore lads there. :pac:

The places some people camp is just downright bemusing. Especially those cheeky ones who show up at 9pm on Friday in a 1 person tent and camp outside at the corner of the main arena entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

What are the various Pro's/Cons to the "glamping" or posh camping options ?

Worth the extra few quid?I've gone with the lads in previous year but will be going with the GF this year. She isn't exactly built for hard road and hasn't done a festival before and has heard some horror stories from her friends.

Some of the options (the yurt) are unreal costly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Camped in Oscar Wilde last year ourselves and no issues. There were massive queues for the toilets in the mornings but if you walked an extra few yards there were toilets in the next field that were virtually unused. Sorted.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Main thing is to just avoid that ****ing carnival near one of the entrances to the arena.

That thing ruins EP for me, I'd love if they got rid of it.

Hate the carnival, avoided it like the plague. Really detracted from the overall feeling. Arcadia would be an awesome replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Camped in Oscar Wilde last year ourselves and no issues. There were massive queues for the toilets in the mornings but if you walked an extra few yards there were toilets in the next field that were virtually unused. Sorted.

We stayed in Janis Joplin last year, perfectly relaxed...bit of a walk but then we would walk through that refugee camp of a Hendrix site and you'd feel like you're staying in the Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

I usually stay in Pink Moon (Tangerine Fields before that) & very happy. I don't get away from work until later Fri a/noon & have to drive down from Derry. Remember one of the years walking through the main campsite on Friday night, as I 'came at it all from a funny angle'. Was shocked at the place, and that was Friday night! Couldn't cope with the chaos, noise & mess. Refugee camp is a wonderful description! But then, remember I am a middle-aged, middle class male travelling on me own, so I'd never fit in!
    Pink Moon does seem a bit expensive, but secure, quiet, good showers, nice to have easy access to decent coffee in the a.m. Worth it for me, but if you like sleeping in a 'refugee camp' campsite, go for it!

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Mr.S wrote: »
    Main thing is to just avoid that ****ing carnival near one of the entrances to the arena.

That thing ruins EP for me, I'd love if they got rid of it.

I'd pay money for them to get rid of that carnival.
    Does it really make so much money that it's not worth getting rid of?
    Anytime I've walked past it at different times of the day it doesn't exactly look mobbed.

We've stayed in Festihuts the last 4 years and I know some people find it expensive, €750 between 4 people sharing, but I think it's worth every penny :) Electricity in each hut, very secure area, each hut has a lockable door with 4 keys, private toilets, a basic single mattress for each person to lie down on (but at the end of your night you feel like you're sleeping on a cloud :pac:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

What are the various Pro's/Cons to the "glamping" or posh camping options ?

Worth the extra few quid?I've gone with the lads in previous year but will be going with the GF this year. She isn't exactly built for hard road and hasn't done a festival before and has heard some horror stories from her friends.

Some of the options (the yurt) are unreal costly.

Make sure to show her The Long Drop, its an Electric Picnic essential

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ned_strange

I was a bit disappointed with king Kong company at the salty dog on Sunday night last year. Apparently they played b&s on the Saturday and were brilliant, unfortunately wasn't advertised and I missed it. anyone know if these guys are there this year?

I was a bit disappointed with king Kong company at the salty dog on Sunday night last year. Apparently they played b&s on the Saturday and were brilliant, unfortunately wasn't advertised and I missed it. anyone know if these guys are there this year?

Pretty sure they're on the line up for B&S this year. Wouldn't know about EP, I tend to bang a tweet to bands and ask. Worse they can do is ignore you.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Rob094

keithkk16 wrote: »
    F**k Kanye, get Kendrick Lamar booked. New album is a really good listen

New album is fantastic, I hope he tours with a band.

Sting, Blur, and Florence + The Machine top the first names announced for Super Bock Super Rock, the three-day Portuguese festival happening on Thursday 16th to Saturday 18th July 2015.

Also added to the line-up are Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, dEUS, FFS (Franz Ferdinand & Sparks), Crystal Fighters, SBTRKT, Milky Chance, The Vaccines, Perfume Genius, Toro Y Moi, Banda do Mar, Little Dragon, Kate Tempest, Modernos, Kindness, Gramatik, and Sinkane.

Read more at http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/15/150318c.shtml#EBHlIJUcmjB0H2fg.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

They were good at B&S, but were on at 1:30 in the day, good fun nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 19,736 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I actually loved that - finished the festival on a high for me.

If that wasn't them at their best, I can't wait to see them perform when they are at their best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Rob094 wrote: »
    New album is fantastic, I hope he tours with a band.

If he toured with Thundercat and Flying Lotus I think I might just jizz in my pants.:eek:

Snarky Snark Snark

Sting ...

Must be feeling bad about his musical flopping in the States if he's hitting the festival circuit to cheer himself up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

But wait, there's more! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhI6NhrzHSo

Wouldn't totally hate Sting tbh. I ended up watching him live in Berlin with an Orchestra recently and it was actually not to shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭deeceemee

They were good at B&S, but were on at 1:30 in the day, good fun nonetheless

King Kong Company are recording a new album at the moment and playing the Button Factory in a few weeks time. Body and Soul and Vantastival Festival have them added to their line ups ...Id say their a cert to play in some area of EP again..I missed them both times over the weekend at EP, still kicking myself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hey man, you can't see everything there is always a distraction somewhere along the line, maybe this year for ya. :D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Great idea, but I wonder how the solar panels hold up to being urinated on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Belsonic launch party tonight in Belfast at 7pm with first acts being announced.

Interesting to see if any acts will make the trip to EP given that both events fall around the same time!!

Advertisement