Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Was there an announcement last year in April or was it two months after the first general announcement, I just wish EP with give a hint when the next one is going to be.

Damn it anyways just trawled the 2014 thread and the second announcement was on 13th May so more than a month away, mind you they had early announcements in December last year so maybe sooner hopefully for the second announcement.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Arse, well, maybe we'll get lucky and the odd band might out themselves as playing

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Future Islands seem to be either on the Fri or Sun since they are doing End of the Road on Saturday.

Also on their tour dates it has them playing the Academy on the 10th of Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Future Islands seem to be either on the Fri or Sun since they are doing End of the Road on Saturday.

Also on their tour dates it has them playing the Academy on the 10th of Sept

Probably one of the o2 Academies in the UK, fairly sure they are doing some random UK tour dates post-EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Bassment Jaxx just announced as a headliner for Indiependence festival in Cork.

Also Kodaline are playing Indiependence which I hope means that there absolutely zero chance of them popping up at EP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Raging Basement Jaxx have been announced for Indie, was really hoping they could play at picnic. So many acts I would have loved to see at picnic have been snapped up by other festivals this year, hoping EP have some nice surprises planned but other festivals in Ireland have definitely upped their game this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Raging Basement Jaxx have been announced for Indie, was really hoping they could play at picnic. So many acts I would have loved to see at picnic have been snapped up by other festivals this year, hoping EP have some nice surprises planned but other festivals in Ireland have definitely upped their game this year.

Same, raging!!they would have been great last act on Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

With Basement Jaxx ruled out, are Blur looking more likely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

sadie06 wrote: »

The Strokes and Blur would be nice, as it stands I will be selling my ticket unless there is a serious improvement in the lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

I wouldn't say they are ruled out but definitely less likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,740 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

threein99 wrote: »
    The Strokes and Blur would be nice, as it stands I will be selling my ticket unless there is a serious improvement in the lineup.

I can appreciate that you would like either of those two bands to play, but selling the ticket would not be preferred option. Its about going to see new bands, or bands you didn't expect to be good that sometimes make the experience.

I went to see King Kong Company last year - never heard any of their stuff, but that they were a good act and it was a highlight of the weekend.

I went to see Kelis (who was merely ok in my book before) but she was brilliant :)

Just my tuppence worth :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

everlast75 wrote: »
    I can appreciate that you would like either of those two bands to play, but selling the ticket would not be preferred option. Its about going to see new bands, or bands you didn't expect to be good that sometimes make the experience.

I went to see King Kong Company last year - never heard any of their stuff, but that they were a good act and it was a highlight of the weekend.

I went to see Kelis (who was merely ok in my book before) but she was brilliant :)

Just my tuppence worth :):)

Well I look for 1 or 2 bands in a lineup to justify paying for the ticket and my friends are insisting on fancy camping this year so I'm going to need at least 1 of my fave bands in the lineup to entice me to pay about 350 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Tbh even if I knew none of the bands playing as long as the vibe was the same I'd nearly go to it anyway! Such was the craic I had at it last year even without taking bands into consideration plus the amount of awesome bands you will inevitably stumble across anyway...and obviously the Rave in the Woods :P

Mr.S wrote: »
    I hate to be "that person", but i've felt the atmosphere leave EP over the last 2/3 years. Just seems like a generic festival these days. B&S is the only thing going for it IMO.

Not to say it's not fun though :D

I was only a wee 20 year old when I went last year so I wouldn't know any better I suppose, odds are I'm the drunken young lad ruining the old vibe :P

I do see what you mean though, seems a few years ago there was a lot more going for it than just a music festival...while that doesn't bother me I can see how it might have slightly lost a bit of the atmosphere as a result.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I hate to be "that person", but i've felt the atmosphere leave EP over the last 2/3 years. Just seems like a generic festival these days. B&S is the only thing going for it IMO.

Not to say it's not fun though :D

Well put it this way you wouldn't see the likes of Portishead or Beck playing at Oxegen, well at least I don't think they did play it, you wouldn't get the reggae sections or the woody raves and all manner of cool stages and fairy forests there either. Body & Soul is great in its own right as a festival but EP is still the finest blow out to close the summer.

Well put it this way you wouldn't see the likes of Portishead or Beck playing at Oxegen, well at least I don't think they did play it, you wouldn't get the reggae sections or the woody raves and all manner of cool stages and fairy forests there either. Body & Soul is great in its own right as a festival but EP is still the finest blow out to close the summer.

Trenchtown <3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Would'nt mind this guy popping up maybe in a similar slot as Flume from last year

Kygo is the shít, been listening to him regularly since last summer.

His remix of younger by seinabo sey is absolutely tops

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ned_strange

Cian_M wrote: »
    The Victorious Festival in Portsmouth is the weekend before EP, and they have announced a number of great acts that I'd love to see at EP.

Primal Scream
    The Fratellis
    Johnny Marr
    Mystery Jets
    The Magic Numbers
    The Wytches (would absolutely love these guys to get announced, put out one of my favourite albums last year)
    The Flaming Lips
    Basement Jaxx

I think Basement Jaxx are the only out of these that have announced an Irish date this year so far. So fingers crossed we get one, or more of these.

Flaming lips, Johnny Marr & primal scream would be fine additions, come on ep Another announcement please...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I was only a wee 20 year old when I went last year so I wouldn't know any better I suppose, odds are I'm the drunken young lad ruining the old vibe :P

I do see what you mean though, seems a few years ago there was a lot more going for it than just a music festival...while that doesn't bother me I can see how it might have slightly lost a bit of the atmosphere as a result.

The people and their attitudes make the festival, nothing to do with age, some people just 'get it' others don't.

Favourite quote from EP2014 was from ham sandwich:

"The EP brings out the soundest version of yourself"

Who are ye listening to? Really liking Alvvays, the war on drugs defo getting a visit along with Tame Impala.

Gutted about basement jaxx, was sure they'd play!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Don't know if it's been posted but according to NME, Tame Impala are playing on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Fatfrog wrote: »

"The EP brings out the soundest version of yourself"

I really like that quote. I spend most of the year feeling fairly stressed out. It just magically disappears once the tent is set up on an EP weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

threein99 wrote: »

Lads yer dreaming. The festival capacity is increasing the head line actswere only 3 rd. line acts the last time I saw them at the EP.

The standard of bands is dropping considerably. Granted there is always upand coming band but there was in general a few older heavyweights to build upthe bill.

Blur , the strokes are all too expensive

Bowlardo wrote: »

Lads yer dreaming. The festival capacity is increasing the head line actswere only 3 rd. line acts the last time I saw them at the EP.

The standard of bands is dropping considerably. Granted there is always upand coming band but there was in general a few older heavyweights to build upthe bill.

Blur , the strokes are all too expensive

Wrong, well about the Strokes at least, they headlined RockNess, Scotland in 2010 which had the same capacity as EP then although RockNess stopped in 2013 the line ups were similar with Rob Da Bank involved it brought a bit more clout to RockNess procuring acts like Aphex Twin, The Strokes and the Prodigy to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Blur would be expensive but not totally out of the range of EP, they need three main headliners, one for each night. Outkast were probably rotten expensive last year. (Though, from looking about online, FATM seem to be horribly expensive)

Blast from the past! 10 fecking years ago!! Worth a watch

https://youtu.be/kvb4JSBvjfI

https://youtu.be/TP30Yjh-5gw

Blur would be expensive but not totally out of the range of EP, they need three main headliners, one for each night. Outkast were probably rotten expensive last year. (Though, from looking about online, FATM seem to be horribly expensive)

FATM 150-250k according to the below, mind you this list is a few years old now! I'd imagine the cost has increased.

http://priceonomics.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-book-your-favorite-band/

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mouzone

Unreal memories in those 05 vids. It really was a great year for the festival.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Thats a shock tbh. As said Strokes or Blur would def not be out of reach expense wise , BLur would def bring a lot of punters in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I really like that quote. I spend most of the year feeling fairly stressed out. It just magically disappears once the tent is set up on an EP weekend!

This is exactly it...once I'm parked up, my car keys put into my "safe compartment" in my handbag....it's like just arrived at the biggest playground for adults and I leave all common sense and restraint in that car park...happy f@cking days!!!!!

Advertisement