Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Can we just nip this in the bud right now, and not turn this into a big cry-fest over Sam Smith headlining?

The fact is he played EP in 2013, so he's a returning artist who FR obviously have contacts with, and will move a lot of tickets.

And anyway will almost certainly be clashing with Kalkbrenner, TWOD or something similar, so everyone has one headache out of the way! Fantastic announcement anyway for me, hopefully FKA twigs actually makes it to the stage this year. Woop Viet Cong too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Some great additions today - Blur, Interpol, Viet Cong, Mac DeMarco, FKA Twigs and SOAK... Some more I'm looking forward to checking out too.

Any recommendations from the new batch?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭proudi

MattD wrote: »
    Can we just nip this in the bud right now, and not turn this into a big cry-fest over Sam Smith headlining?

The fact is he played EP in 2013, so he's a returning artist who FR obviously have contacts with, and will move a lot of tickets.

And anyway will almost certainly be clashing with Kalkbrenner, TWOD or something similar, so everyone has one headache out of the way! Fantastic announcement anyway for me, hopefully FKA twigs actually makes it to the stage this year. Woop Viet Cong too!

pls FKA Twigs..

I saw DAWES at Longitude last year and they were gorgeous live. Chilled americana stuff. They could really jam though, a lot of fantastic instrumental breaks thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

So no Prodigy or Kasabian

(thank fuuuck for that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Ruanmcg

So no Prodigy or Kasabian

(thank fuuuck for that)

In a way I'd almost rather Sam Smith to Kasabian, because at least we can all agree that he's ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Despacio is James Murphy (Ex-LCD Sound System) and 2ManyDJs aka Soulwax.

To add, its a live concept of theirs, they are trying to replicate an old fashioned nightclub and eveything is vinyl only. They have these speaker stacks that they designed themselves and i think they are set up in a circle facing a dance floor. There is a good bit of setup involved and sound very precise sound checking and a lot of festivals give them a dedicated tent or room for a whole night , or in glastonburys case the whole weekend.

What i can see them doing is giving them the little big tent for all of friday night so the have time to setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Is there discounts for people who went previous years like before? Didn't go last year so I dunno if they did it then. Or is 229 regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

James Murphy has played EP every year I've ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Lukker- wrote: »
    Is there discounts for people who went previous years like before? Didn't go last year so I dunno if they did it then. Or is 229 regardless?

I think its 229 now the deadline for cheaper tickets was 28th April.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

lbj666 wrote: »
    To add, its a live concept of theirs, they are trying to replicate an old fashioned nightclub and eveything is vinyl only. They have these speaker stacks that they designed themselves and i think they are set up in a circle facing a dance floor. There is a good bit of setup involved and sound very precise sound checking and a lot of festivals give them a dedicated tent or room for a whole night , or in glastonburys case the whole weekend.

What i can see them doing is giving them the little big tent for all of friday night so the have time to setup.

Went over to it in London last year, amazing. They have an unbelievable amount of records with them and the soundsystem is tailor made, creates a really nice atmosphere because the focus is on the dancefloor rather than the DJs. I'm hoping they get their own small tent for the weekend similar to the Jerry Fish stage at EP last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Lukker- wrote: »

Yes, but that happened long ago; the loyalty discount codes were sent out straight after last year's EP.

At this point, the only tickets available are full price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Re: the additions, I'm happy enough. Interpol aren't the most exciting band but I think they will be good on the main stage, which a lot of acts struggle with.

Sam Smith is an odd one, unless he has an edgy side I'm not familiar with.

Saw 2 Bears at EP a while ago and they were very good.

Overall, the lineup is a lot better now than it was yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I think the EP line up is great, so much I want to see. Considering the amount of gigs on through the summer and top acts touring the country I think the Picnic has done remarkably well, there is also some more noticeable electronica on this line up than in recent years, still holding out for Four Tet, either he will do EP or Body & Soul festival, he might even get announced for the Body & Soul end of EP.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Ruanmcg wrote: »
    In a way I'd almost rather Sam Smith to Kasabian, because at least we can all agree that he's ****e.

You know, i've not actually heard of the chap, i will give him the benefit of the doubt for the moment, guessing that he' in the same sort of music area as Paulo Nutini last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Amazing announcement. Had been looking for Blur, Mac DeMarco and Interpol so happy out with that. Then you have FKA Twigs, Despacio, Paul Kalk, Mos Def, Mk, Julio Bashmore, 2 Bears, Soak and Viet Cong :D

Obviously Sam Smith is a wtf but I can let that slide. Seems they've gone for very mainstream headliners but really great low-mid tier acts.

You know, i've not actually heard of the chap, i will give him the benefit of the doubt for the moment, guessing that he' in the same sort of music area as Paulo Nutini last year?

Personally I wouldn't waste me time checking him out. He's had a blast of singles in the top charts that get a lot of radio play. Useless though, really.

The best indicator I can give you about Sam Smith is that people are saying he is 'the only good act'. I think that pretty much tells you everything you need to know..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Sam Smith headlining, I don't care enough about him to get offended unlike some others. It makes sense like, they need a least one big mainstream act who are in the charts at the moment to sell tickets, none of the kids know who Blur are :p Delighted with some of the other editions, Mos Def!!! :D

EP are saying on the FB page that Despacio will have a similar set up to Glasto, that should be aweseome.

MattD wrote: »
    After looking around for a bit I'm predicting something like:

Duran Duran
    Grace Jones
    + biggish Sunday headliner (Blur? Black Keys? FATM? Animal Collective?)
    Underworld

War On Drugs
    Belle and Sebastien
    Modest Mouse
    Rudimental
    Hot Chip
    Jon Hopkins

Parquet Courts
    Chvrches
    Years and Years
    James Blake
    Ride
    Future Islands

a Kalkbrenner
    The 2 Bears
    Genghar
    Walking on Cars
    George Ezra
    Roisin Murphy

I'd love for Chance The Rapper/Run The Jewels/Kendrick Lamar/ Childish Gambino/Odd Future to be added, but I don't really see it.

I can see Florence and The Machine and The Black Keys having Marlay Park dates, so they may be out of the running.

I think this man deserves a round of applause

• Advertisement

Ah lads...this is gunna be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

Went over to it in London last year, amazing. They have an unbelievable amount of records with them and the soundsystem is tailor made, creates a really nice atmosphere because the focus is on the dancefloor rather than the DJs. I'm hoping they get their own small tent for the weekend similar to the Jerry Fish stage at EP last year.

I saw Despacio in London too. It is epic, vinyl only no live mixing, real club atmosphere. The circular stacks makes it really immersive. The sound is as perfect as I've ever heard. Reckon it will be Electric Arena on the Friday night so they can get the set up/take down done in time.

It is unmissable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Don't forget lads that Hozier will be announced after Longitude. He's not at the level yet where he can shrugg tell home festivals to feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The only act that's really interesting me at the moment (that I haven't seen before) is Despacio, think I might give it a miss this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭proudi

lbj666 wrote: »
    Don't forget lads that Hozier will be announced after Longitude. He's not at the level yet where he can shrugg tell home festivals to feck off.

After being at the last two Longitudes and playing twice at last year's EP I wouldn't count on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Absolutely delighted that Despacio is happening
    They've even got there own tent too. For anyone wondering what Despacio is about check this out.

Ruanmcg wrote: »
    I think this man deserves a round of applause

D'awh! Still holding out for Kendrick or Chance! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

Ah lads...this is gunna be amazing

Was Mos Deff added?

• Advertisement

Ruxjit wrote: »
    Was Mos Deff added?

Yeah he goes by the name Yasiin Bey now, for whatever reason!

Advertisement