Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well I don't really know that much about dance music as such but when taking the aul mandy I tend to just go with the flow of the beats, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between tech-house, techno, house, deep house, two step etc.

What would you define from this clip I took of Bicep here from last years EP, what type of genre do you hear.

Maybe someone can throw up a track or two of the different types, like there's fast techno and slow techno like the stuff Jon Hopkins or Four Tet would play live sometimes, case in point Hopkin's track Collider.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Bicep would be more tech house than anything

Can we please not start the whole genre thing. We'll be here all day

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Can we please not start the whole genre thing. We'll be here all day

Well mr Keithkk16 what do you suggest I do, pose the same question in the electronic and djing forum, I want to educate myself on what I'm listening to.

Well mr Keithkk16 what do you suggest I do, pose the same question in the electronic and djing forum, I want to educate myself on what I'm listening to.

Well it's hard to narrow down djs like Bicep to one genre. They produce mainly house records but Dj a bit of everything that is electronic in there sets. I seen them play a 3 hour set in Belfast this time last year, they played everything, mainly house/techno stuff but, it was like disco, tech-house, proper house, garage, dubstep, techno and even some trance was thrown in at the end. Hope that helps

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Well it's hard to narrow down djs like Bicep to one genre. They produce mainly house records but Dj a bit of everything that is electronic in there sets. I seen them play a 3 hour set in Belfast this time last year, they played everything, mainly house/techno stuff but, it was like disco, tech-house, proper house, garage, dubstep, techno and even some trance was thrown in at the end. Hope that helps

Cheers, I started a thread in the electronic forum asking this very question as there no section for dance music newbies in there, anyways back to the EP line up.

• Advertisement

Cheers, I started a thread in the electronic forum asking this very question as there no section for dance music newbies in there, anyways back to the EP line up.

I didn't notice your question under the youtube vid. This reddit page might help a bit. It explains most house and techno genres http://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/22761w/eli5what_the_hell_is_the_difference_between_house/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

A lot of djs would play a mix of techno and house even with a bit of funk and disco thrown in there, like Ejeca, Skream, Hot Since 82 and Bicep. Whereas djs like Ben Klock, Jeff Mills, Alan Fitzpatrick, Maceo Plex would play mainly techno.

I'm not great for differentiating between genres but I generally distinguish house and techno as house having a lighter sound and vibe where techno tends to be more heavier and darker...if that makes sense :P House tunes tend to have more vocals too, I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

My ideal headliners for the RBMA would be this.

Fri-Marcel Dettmann

Sat-Green Velvet

Sun-Jeff Mills

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

While I still think the woods has to be techno, at least at the end of the night...some house earlier on would be nice, up until half 1 or so maybe. Hearing Erol Alkan drop bang would be amazing. Four Tet would be great too, only just started listening to him recently, Pinnacles is an amazing song. Four Tet X Moe Szyslak :pac:
    saw XXXY there around midnight a few years ago and it was probably the best set i've seen in there. nice garage-y house stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭hugeglobe

saw XXXY there around midnight a few years ago and it was probably the best set i've seen in there. nice garage-y house stuff.

Careful with that casual genre dropping now ghostdancer, we don't want a repeat of earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Some good DJ's over there alright but the crowd is full of posers in my experience..

Ibiza shoulder shakers with Sun Glasses on at 1am :P Dimitri from Paris was great over there last year and Billy Scurry.

Would love to see Eddie Grant get the reggae Sunday spot on the main stage, cheesy commercial reggae but good sunshine toons too, doesn't seem to be touring though this year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Would love to see Eddie Grant get the reggae Sunday spot on the main stage, cheesy commercial reggae but good sunshine toons too, doesn't seem to be touring though this year anyway.

Easy star all stars would be a dream come true, check them out if you haven't heard their stuff before!

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Easy star all stars would be a dream come true, check them out if you haven't heard their stuff before!

They done EP main stage in 2007 on the Sunday I think, this festival is worth looking at, reggae festival in the UK thats on the same weekend as the Picnic called One Love, so someone could do the reggae legend spot from that line up, would love if they got Dawn Penn, can you imagine her doing No, No, No on the main stage Sunday afternoon, possibly with the sun blazing.

http://www.onelovefestival.co.uk/the-line-up/

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

It was housey garage, you pleb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

It was housey garage, you pleb.
    morto :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

The epic video award goes to Metz!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I used to love EP, shame it turned into a generic 'lets play it safe' festival. Getting Blur is a big deal though I guess.

Would be great if they added Public Service Broadcasting, their live-sets are unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

nocoverart wrote: »
    I used to love EP, shame it turned into a generic 'lets play it safe' festival. Getting Blur is a big deal though I guess.

Would be great if they added Public Service Broadcasting, their live-sets are unreal.

I assume you're talking about the headliners? There are some cracking 'Not played safe' acts down the line up.

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

Can someone please explain to me what "Electric Picnic" is?

• Advertisement

I suppose you are referring to the Heineken takeover, 'brought to you in association with Heineken' brand thing and loosing its boutiqueness when Festival Republic took over, I loved 2005 and 2007 as well, but things just change sometimes what can you do, its still a great fecking weekend though, well seven days for me as I'll be working the pre-festival again.

Fatfrog wrote: »
    I assume you're talking about the headliners? There are some cracking 'Not played safe' acts down the line up.

I never gave a fook about any headliners at any festival. I just don't think there is much thought gone into most of the lower and mid tier bands this year.

And Sam Smith... Sam feckin Smith! Really?

I suppose you are referring to the Heineken takeover, 'brought to you in association with Heineken' brand thing and loosing its boutiqueness when Festival Republic took over, I loved 2005 and 2007 as well, but things just change sometimes what can you do, its still a great fecking weekend though, well seven days for me as I'll be working the pre-festival again.

Na, I read your posts on here over the years. You know your music more than most. The line up has become more and more dumded down by the year. Couldn't give a sh1t if EP was sponsored by Heineken or Hitlers moustache TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭PaddyPooHead

Na, I read your posts on here over the years. You know your music more than most. The line up has become more and more dumded down by the year. Couldn't give a sh1t if EP was sponsored by Heineken or Hitlers moustache TBH.

Who are the dumbed down acts on the lineup? I'm really not seeing many.

Can someone please explain to me what "Electric Picnic" is?

A large picnic with lights and sounds and capacity for either 42,000 or 47,000 people. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Circa waves are worth checking out.

I'm really looking forward to Future Islands aswell.

Some solid acts there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Circa waves are worth checking out.

I'm really looking forward to Future Islands aswell.

Some solid acts there.

Agreed on both also like

Jack Garratt (after someone recommended him on here)
    Printer Clips (had to look them up and they will be good for some easy listening tunes)
    Dawes (Had heard of them since they seemed to support Mumford and Sons but only listened to them last night and like their stuff)
    Metz (Came across them by accident and glad i did)
    Battles (Seen them at Oxegen 2008 and were one of the highlights)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

A large picnic with lights and sounds and capacity for either 42,000 or 47,000 people. :pac:

And an absolutely massive picnic blanket. :-)

Re Sam Smith: (This will only interest singers/fans of Sam Smith)

In all seriousness, I think there is a chance he won't make it. His surgery is next week, and doctors say he will be back in action in 6-8 weeks. There is no way to say for sure that that will happen. Some people need a long adjustment period to 'sing in' after surgery, particularly if you want to be back up to international performance standard. Advice to singers is to have complete rest for a couple of weeks, then sing once a week for a couple more, gradually building up. At the very least, he will be off-form…

If I was EP, I'd be looking for a back-up headliner. And I'm not just saying that because I don't like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Would prefer that TBH, the band's below him have a better claim to headline.

Advertisement