Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Paddy2012

I'd say Alvvays are worth checking out, their album was one of my favourites of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

nocoverart wrote: »
    I used to love EP, shame it turned into a generic 'lets play it safe' festival. Getting Blur is a big deal though I guess.

Would be great if they added Public Service Broadcasting, their live-sets are unreal.

There is a lets play it safe but a lot of stuff has been poached for festivals elsewhere. It also must be remembered that the style of bands and music that suits the picnic have become far more "in trend" now compared to when it started off,so it gives the impression they are really leaning toward more "popular" more "commercial" acts. Granted some of the headliners in recent years would never have been booked in the old days ( killers , monkeys , outkast etc. )

What bothers me is that the picnic always used have a solid middle of the bill regardless of the headliners and the crowds where spread out between all the stages far better than in more recent years. The have been some very poor crowds for headliners in the stage tents recently, the roots and mogwai spring to mind. There just seems to be a more meh attitude to the mid sized acts and it a sign of the both the type of crowd and the acts that have been booked. It will be interesting to see this year if this has changed, one thing that can overcome the feel of the place been overcrowded is if people were actually gathered in tents actually watching bands , itsted some much wandering about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Am I reading it correctly are weekend camping tickets sold out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

6541 wrote: »

What are you reading? Tickets are still available on ticketmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭proudi

Why is it that more than one person in this thread has welcomed the addition of Sam Smith for the fact that he will attract women? There are going to be women there regardless of Sam Smith. Unless EP have gotten rid of that this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

Not true

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

sadie06 wrote: »
    If I was EP, I'd be looking for a back-up headliner. And I'm not just saying that because I don't like him.

Id say they have a back up plan tbh if he has to pull out. Maybe it was a clever idea for EP to announce him as headliner (get extra ticket sales) then sadly announce he has had to cancel and get maybe a different/cheaper headliner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Id say they have a back up plan tbh if he has to pull out. Maybe it was a clever idea for EP to announce him as headliner (get extra ticket sales) then sadly announce he has had to cancel and get maybe a different/cheaper headliner?

Perhaps. Hozier would be a shoe in for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

sadie06 wrote: »
    Perhaps. Hozier would be a shoe in for it.

Don't mind him on the bill but as headliner, please god no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

He has as small a back catalogue as Sam Smith :pac:

• Advertisement

Cant see Hozier headlining yet , Would def be someone else . Plus i can see them setting up a massive tour or a date in 3Arena before the end of the year for Hozier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

I would assume Hozier would only be booked for smaller sets this year, he was a big deal last year and it would really be stealing longitudes thunder to copy a headliner too, unprecedented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

BadTurtle wrote: »
    I would assume Hozier would only be booked for smaller sets this year, he was a big deal last year and it would really be stealing longitudes thunder to copy a headliner too, unprecedented.

I was going to put so long winded speculation on Hozier playing, but i just see he is playing some festival in Aspen on Sept 4 and starting US tour the proper to following week, with no doubt a tonne of promo in between .

So contrary to what i thought Hozier will not be hitching a lift from bray, guitar on his back and showing up in Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ned_strange

For any nina simone fans there, check out benjamin clemintine, what ive heard of him so far is very good. Top Addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭morrissey1307

Nope, just got one last night - went for the installment plan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

proudi wrote: »
    Why is it that more than one person in this thread has welcomed the addition of Sam Smith for the fact that he will attract women? There are going to be women there regardless of Sam Smith. Unless EP have gotten rid of that this year?

Nobody welcomed him because he'd attract women, I for one just think that's the only effect he'll have on the festival, as opposed to other people thinking he'll ruin it. Couldnt care less if he plays or not tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

proudi wrote: »

It was a wee joke man. He's hardly gonna be the type of act to attract a load of ballbags that you'd find at oxegen. More likely to attract his target audience which I'm gonna take a guess and say it's mostly woman.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Nobody welcomed him because he'd attract women, I for one just think that's the only effect he'll have on the festival, as opposed to other people thinking he'll ruin it. Couldnt care less if he plays or not tbh

hahaha I just went to look for the posts and they're all from the same user. Go back and read the thread man.

Ah the oul Oxegen crowd vs EP crowd debate again :rolleyes:

Wouldn't be the electric picnic thread without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

There's only so much we can talk about, we have to keep up discussion between announcements somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭A.Gorilla

Just listening to Public Service Broadcasting there....Would be a brilliant band to be added!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Ah the oul Oxegen crowd vs EP crowd debate again :rolleyes:
    Would it not get pretty dull if the only type of posts we had were 'I like band X, I would be very happy if band X were to play this festival' or 'I ordered my tickets online, it's only five months to EP and they haven't arrived yet, should I be worried?'

Few midrange bands I'm holding out hope for (find it peculiar none of them have been booked for any festival in Ireland yet considering the dearth of rare performers at this stage):
    Death grips
    Ratatat
    Panda Bear
    Deafheaven

And I know they already played Ireland this year, but they're on tour: Death From Above 1979.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Few midrange bands I'm holding out hope for (find it peculiar none of them have been booked for any festival in Ireland yet considering the dearth of rare performers at this stage):
    Death grips
    Ratatat
    Panda Bear
    Deafheaven

And I know they already played Ireland this year, but they're on tour: Death From Above 1979.

Yeah would love to see some of those, especially Ratatat and Panda Bear. Are Animal Collective still on the go?

Death grips
    Ratatat
    Panda Bear
    Deafheaven

I really want Death Grips to be announced. And then turn up. They haven't announced any European dates yet for their world tour. Hoping that EP have them and can't tell us yet.

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Yeah would love to see some of those, especially Ratatat and Panda Bear. Are Animal Collective still on the go?

They're still together but I'd imagine they're on hiatus while Noah tours his solo stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Do we think Paul Kalkbrenner might get anywhere near the main stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I cannot wait for September :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Do we think Paul Kalkbrenner might get anywhere near the main stage?

He was in one of the tents I think three years ago or maybe 4? Completely jammers and couldn't get in at all. Was gutted

Advertisement