Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Rfrip wrote:
    He was in one of the tents I think three years ago or maybe 4? Completely jammers and couldn't get in at all. Was gutted

That's what I was thinking.... any tent he might be in will be rammed..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Paul Kalk better get a good slot, preferably later on at night. I would think he's big enough to close out the EA one of the nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ned_strange

Synode wrote: »
    Don't mind him on the bill but as headliner, please god no.

Apparently had biggest crowd over the weekend last year, including the headliners, some would be happy enough to see him headline I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Paul Kalk better get a good slot, preferably later on at night. I would think he's big enough to close out the EA one of the nights.

What sort of capacity does the other outdoor stages at EP have?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Few midrange bands I'm holding out hope for (find it peculiar none of them have been booked for any festival in Ireland yet considering the dearth of rare performers at this stage):
    Death grips
    Ratatat
    Panda Bear
    Deafheaven

And I know they already played Ireland this year, but they're on tour: Death From Above 1979.

Deafheaven? I think you were championing for EP last year. A band of that genre has never played EP. In fact they're a million miles away from what would pass for EP. You can always dream I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Apparently had biggest crowd over the weekend last year, including the headliners, some would be happy enough to see him headline I'd say.

I'd almost attribute that to him having a fairly handy midday slot on the mainstage in the sun where he's literally clashing with no one of note.

No doubt he's popular (I actually like him a lot, more than most). But it's hard to compare crowd sizes when Portishead, Outkast and Beck when they are contending with other stage headliners like Greg Wilson, Mogwai, Hercules and Love Affair, SBTRKT as well as the Rave in the Woods, LBT, and B&S in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

MattD wrote: »
    I'd almost attribute that to him having a fairly handy midday slot on the mainstage in the sun where he's literally clashing with no one of note.

No doubt he's popular (I actually like him a lot, more than most). But it's hard to compare crowd sizes when Portishead, Outkast and Beck when they are contending with other stage headliners like Greg Wilson, Mogwai, Hercules and Love Affair, SBTRKT as well as the Rave in the Woods, LBT, and B&S in full swing.

I think the Outkast gig last year had the biggest main stage crowd I've ever seen, stretching right up to the middle of the stalls avenue and right up to the back of the field, touching the carnival and Fossetts.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Always Sunny

Any chance of Courtney Barnett being announced? She's got a massive gap in her tour between Mid August and November. She'd suit EP down to the ground. I feel like if you stuck Kevin Parker and St Vincent together Courtney Barnett would be what comes out.

I think the Outkast gig last year had the biggest main stage crowd I've ever seen, stretching right up to the middle of the stalls avenue and right up to the back of the field, touching the carnival and Fossetts.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/biggest-crowd-of-electric-picnic-welcome-hozier-1.1913188

Outkast was absolutely mobbed. Didn't go to Hozier I'd say must have been mad altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Deafheaven? I think you were championing for EP last year. A band of that genre has never played EP. In fact they're a million miles away from what would pass for EP. You can always dream I suppose.

Not a million miles from My Bloody Valentine or God is an astronaut, its just the singer that makes people think they're heavier than they are. In reality their main influence is shoe gaze.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/biggest-crowd-of-electric-picnic-welcome-hozier-1.1913188

Outkast was absolutely mobbed. Didn't go to Hozier say must have been mad altogether.

I was at both. Hozier was busier, couldn't get anywhere at all near the stage after arriving late, we were back by the stalls. Outkast had a huge crowd but it wasn't as avid, there was a lot of room and you could get quite far forward if you wanted.

Not a million miles from My Bloody Valentine or God is an astronaut, its just the singer that makes people think they're heavier than they are. In reality their main influence is shoe gaze.
    Well it's as much Black Metal as it is Shoe Gaze but the main point is that, although neither of us would be bothered by his vocal style, EP have never ventured down the path of metal vocals despite how broad a range we're told the music at the festival is.

If you look at Dour festival in Belgium it caters for metal alongside many others but EP are going in the other direction if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭PatrickIde1187

Just wondering do many big-ish names & acts get announced in the 3rd round of announcements in July? Not being greedy as I LOVE the lineup this year. Just wondering. I remember Hozier , Duke Dumont & Clean Bandit all being announced late last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ned_strange

MattD wrote: »

Perhaps, but crowd was heaving and really into performance, singing along and that craic , at least in the area I was in anyways. couldn't say for sure everyone's motivation for attending but to to me it seemed most people were fans. I don't know of any other "handy midday slot" act to receive same attention, is there examples?. This guy is very popular. Deservedly so in my view and certainly as good ( and probably as popular) as Sam Smith.

Just wondering do many big-ish names & acts get announced in the 3rd round of announcements in July? Not being greedy as I LOVE the lineup this year. Just wondering. I remember Hozier , Duke Dumont & Clean Bandit all being announced late last year.

Definitely there has been some really amazing additions quite late in the bill in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Mr.S wrote: »
    Hozier was insane for a afternoon slot, easily the biggest crowd of the weekend.
    only saw the drone footage of Hozier, but Outkast was 100% a bigger crowd.

of course, that doesn't make as good a story for the Irish papers but they, and possibly others, had way more people at them.

I don't think the Outkast crowd was bigger - I tried to get near the stage for both and couldn't get anywhere close for Hozier, I was actually back beyond the stalls - but if it was, it was only because the day ticket people would naturally be drawn to the main stage. What was that, an extra 5000 or so? Naturally if there are more people in general they're likely to have the bigger crowd. I still don't believe they did though, I've only heard anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HausOfTony

I don't think the Outkast crowd was bigger - I tried to get near the stage for both and couldn't get anywhere close for Hozier, I was actually back beyond the stalls - but if it was, it was only because the day ticket people would naturally be drawn to the main stage. What was that, an extra 5000 or so? Naturally if there are more people in general they're likely to have the bigger crowd. I still don't believe they did though, I've only heard anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

Hozier definitely had a bigger crowd (both unreal gigs but preferred Outkast myself). Some people will refuse to acknowledge it though or are keen to dismiss the fact. I can imagine Sam Smith getting a 2nd last slot on the bill, maybe like Beck, before Florence? While I look forward to seeing him, there's no way he can be a proper headliner. His names just at the top to push ticket sales

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Well it's as much Black Metal as it is Shoe Gaze but the main point is that, although neither of us would be bothered by his vocal style, EP have never ventured down the path of metal vocals despite how broad a range we're told the music at the festival is.

If you look at Dour festival in Belgium it caters for metal alongside many others but EP are going in the other direction if anything.

Monotonix was one of the best gigs I've ever seen at EP. Not black metal but if they book these guys they'll book anyone.

Anyone else really looking forward to seeing what Trinity Orchestra are playing this year? Getting a few cans into ya early and lazing on the grass watching them perform Demon Days early on the Saturday last year was an absolute pleasure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I went to both Hozier & Beck-Outkast and I honestly thought Beck-Outkast pulled a bigger crowd, but hey that's just my guesstimate!!

This biggest crowd thing is over rated, look at Glastonburys line up last year, absolutely cracking! And who pulls the biggest crowd?? Dolly Parton!!

Say 4-6 pm slot at any festival seems to be a great time, not as much competition. I think if people are boozing they're merry but still well co-ordinated, + add a bit of sun and everything just falls into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Any chance of Courtney Barnett being announced? She's got a massive gap in her tour between Mid August and November. She'd suit EP down to the ground. I feel like if you stuck Kevin Parker and St Vincent together Courtney Barnett would be what comes out.

Thought 100% she was going to be added! Was gutted when I didn't see her name!
    She'd be perfect for the EP! Still time though.

budgemook wrote: »
    Monotonix was one of the best gigs I've ever seen at EP. Not black metal but if they book these guys they'll book anyone.

Don't recall Monotonix playing but they're just crazy from a performance point of view. Shouty/screamy vocals scare the mainstream and a band with such a style won't be booked for EP in my opinion. Hope I'm wrong but we're 12 years in.

Don't recall Monotonix playing but they're just crazy from a performance point of view. Shouty/screamy vocals scare the mainstream and a band with such a style won't be booked for EP in my opinion. Hope I'm wrong but we're 12 years in.

I remember the Jimmy Cake standing in for a non-appearance of either Dan Deacon or Passion Pit at EP 2007, there was a small dedicated heavy metal stage that year too but mainly local and Dublin bands played it, you would often hear thrash and hardcore coming from it. I suppose the heaviest main stage act at EP was Iggy Pop and the Stooges, again at the 2007 Picnic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

HausOfTony wrote: »
    Hozier definitely had a bigger crowd (both unreal gigs but preferred Outkast myself). Some people will refuse to acknowledge it though or are keen to dismiss the fact. I can imagine Sam Smith getting a 2nd last slot on the bill, maybe like Beck, before Florence? While I look forward to seeing him, there's no way he can be a proper headliner. His names just at the top to push ticket sales

Yea i can see that happening aswell , especially with just one album under his belt they can give him a good hour set before the headliner comes on

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HausOfTony

Yea i can see that happening aswell , especially with just one album under his belt they can give him a good hour set before the headliner comes on

Definitely, can't see him being able to go for over an hour at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

Just for anyone planning their accommodation, Festihut is sold out (we usually stay there) and we just booked the last Podpad so they are now sold out as well. Can't believe they're all sold out so early! 2 years ago we booked our Festihut at the end of July and we weren't even the last people to book at that stage.

YurOK2 wrote: »
    Just for anyone planning their accommodation, Festihut is sold out (we usually stay there) and we just booked the last Podpad so they are now sold out as well. Can't believe they're all sold out so early! 2 years ago we booked our Festihut at the end of July and we weren't even the last people to book at that stage.

Ain't a good sign Picnic wannabes better get yer Electric Picnic ticnicks soon, this could be a repeat of 2007 where tickets sold out by the third week of May, judging how everything seems to be selling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

Ain't a good sign Picnic wannabes better get yer Electric Picnic ticnicks soon, this could be a repeat of 2007 where tickets sold out by the third week of May, judging how everything seems to be selling out.

Don't think it will sell out due to a wet summer ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

As far as I can tell, there's very little left in boutique camping. I'd say it will sell out quite early.

I can't wait!

Advertisement