Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I'm sure the full lineup was out before Glasto last year cos it helped the decision making for the horrific clashes.

Think we had all the main acts alright by then but the feckers don't release the stage/date information until the very last minute so that they can sell the lanyards

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dixiechick88

Yea when or was the final payment? Im the same

Due out tomorrow as far as I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

How are the tickets selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Think we had all the main acts alright by then but the feckers don't release the stage/date information until the very last minute so that they can sell the lanyards
    didn't have all the main acts, these were added on 22nd July:

James Vincent McMorrow
    SBTRKT
    Hozier
    Bombay Bicyle Club
    The 1975
    Wild Beasts
    Hercules & Love Affair
    Cathy Davey
    Nick Mulvey
    Sampha
    Asgeir
    Seinabo Sey
    Rustie
    The Strypes
    Walking On Cars
    Le Galaxie
    **** Robot
    BP Fallon
    Nightbox
    Sheppard
    The Whereabouts
    Trinity Orchestra
    Dublin Gospel Choir

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

that's actually quite a lot but some of them were DJ sets which is pretty much "come see my laptop live" so that does not really count.

Some of the others, whilst nice to have don't really count as main acts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

didn't have all the main acts, these were added on 22nd July:

James Vincent McMorrow
    SBTRKT
    Hozier
    Bombay Bicyle Club
    The 1975
    Wild Beasts
    Hercules & Love Affair
    Cathy Davey
    Nick Mulvey
    Sampha
    Asgeir
    Seinabo Sey
    Rustie
    The Strypes
    Walking On Cars
    Le Galaxie
    **** Robot
    BP Fallon
    Nightbox
    Sheppard
    The Whereabouts
    Trinity Orchestra
    Dublin Gospel Choir

If he was announced again I'd be delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

some of them were DJ sets which is pretty much "come see my laptop live" so that does not really count.

Is that sarcasm or are you being serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

that's actually quite a lot but some of them were DJ sets which is pretty much "come see my laptop live" so that does not really count.

Do some people honestly still have such an unenlightened view of electronic music ? Guitars are not the only way to make music!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

BananaR wrote: »
    Do some people honestly still have such an unenlightened view of electronic music ? Guitars are not the only way to make music!!

Some DJ sets are 'just push play' though in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Due out tomorrow as far as I know!
    Jaysuz, thank you. Didn't think the next payment was until the end of next month. Just checked the email there tho and yep, it's tomorrow..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

leakyboots wrote: »
    Some DJ sets are 'just push play' though in fairness

What djs are you actually talking about? Electric Picnic wouldn't be the type of festival to book Djs like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

well they're on the main stages, and part of the main announcements, so the full lineup/main acts were not announced at that stage. we only had 2 announcements before Glastonbury last year.

i suppose if you just stare at the stage and don't care about the music, it is "come and see my laptop live", yes.
    just as bands are "come and see my guitar live"....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

livw.jpg

Yeaaaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

i suppose if you just stare at the stage and don't care about the music, it is "come and see my laptop live", yes.
    just as bands are "come and see me PLAY my guitar live"....

FYP! :-)

I honestly couldn't care less. Daft Punk in Marley one of my all time favourite gigs…could have been anyone under those helmets…I didn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

keithkk16 wrote:
    What djs are you actually talking about? Electric Picnic wouldn't be the type of festival to book Djs like that.

Fatboy slim was very much a pre-programmed set a couple of years back....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Fatboy slim was very much a pre-programmed set a couple of years back....

I agree with that. I wasn't there that year so it doesn't count:P
    Still that's only one name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Seeing a DJ behind the decks doing a vinyl set can be a real sight to behold.

The DJ might have a laptop but they will also usually have CDJs or controllers or something like that, how else are they gunna mix the tracks in? No self-respecting techno or house dj would have a pre-recorded set anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Basically it was just complete ****e!!!

• Advertisement

I listened to a live set from him a couple of days before the picnic and beat for beat, song for song, sample for sample the exact same set was played at the picnic that year.
    The only reason I stuck it out was the 2 women I was with really wanted to see him......pure gick!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I didn't last too long at FBS when he played a while back. It was pretty awful :/ I tried to give it a chance but it was just very average at best

I could imagine FBS pulling off something like that, but there is a world of difference between the likes of FBS, David Guetta, Steve Aoki and the like and the DJs who would be playing at Picnic.

I say that acknowledging the fact that FBS played at EP, but he really should not have been!

I say that acknowledging the fact that FBS played at EP, but he really should not have been!

Considering the standard of electronic acts that have headlined the main stage over the years, I totally agree that he shouldn't have been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Considering the standard of electronic acts that have headlined the main stage over the years, I totally agree that he shouldn't have been there.

He was put there based on past glories and no one bothered to check to see what he was doing since.

I agree for the most part electronic acts have performed live to some degree at least , albeit most of them are heavily preprepared and restricted by the visuals they have.

To be honest i find it no difference between them and some band that stands there and plays the same setlist they've been doing for the whole summer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Didnt he play one of the early Electric Picnics tho? Like when it only started

Didnt he play one of the early Electric Picnics tho? Like when it only started

Sounds just as sheite as the 2013 videos.

I'm well aware what live sets are, I'm a musician and occasional DJ myself.

Daft Punk on the tour where they played Marley Park - was at that gig myself, in my all time top ten - but listen to the bootleg from Milan from earlier in the tour - note for note the same.
    keithkk16 wrote: »

Fatboy Slim

I'm not denigrating or dissing electronic or DJ music, I enjoy it immensely. Will be first in the queue for Despacio - that looks like the real deal.

But some fellas have a pre-programmed set, add in a few effects now and then or hammer away at a chaos pad... but for the most part, they just push play.

http://deadmau5.tumblr.com/post/25690507284/we-all-hit-play

There's plenty of DJs who don't of course. Likewise there are plenty of guitar bands going through the motions, they're equally as off putting but at least they're doing something.

• Advertisement

This chap is gunna be immense at EP, flying all over the shop on 3 Kaoss pads.

There is surely a massive difference between what Deadmau5 is talking about there in relation to EDM and the filth Hopkins is throwing down :) He is talking about abelton spewing out his premixed productions. Totally different to say, Nina Kraviz doing a dj set. I seen her in District 8 and most of her set was vinyl which is pretty damn difficult to pull off for beat matching imo. I would have known a fair few of the tunes as well and she was constantly bending and tweaking them.

Just saying, there is a big difference between EDM DJs and what I would consider proper DJs. Mostly because I have to believe it for myself :P

Advertisement