Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

For Love Or Money...Do You Really Care?

• 04-09-2014 8:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭

this stems from some of the nonsense going on over the last few days over United's purchases in the transfer window, and seems to have kind of continued through the internationals last night, especially after di Maria's masterclass.

did Falcao go to Utd because nobody else would have him?
    did di Maria do the same?
    were Utd the only ones willing to pay the fees and wages?

i made my feelings quite clear on this in the Utd thread.

basically...who the fúck cares?

Suarez and his people, by most accounts I've seen on it, made it clear when he signed that if Barca or Real came calling, he'd be gone. we weren't necessarily his first choice when he joined. do I care? no.

do i think Sturridge or Sterling will stay if a mega-club comes in for either of them? put it this way, i don't expect them to stay out of love or loyalty. i'd expect them to stay if they thought we could match their ambition.

this is a job. players have every right to go where they want to for whatever reason they want. be it, loving the job, be it money, be it whatever.

would Falcao have preferred Madrid? probably.

would di Maria have preferred PSG? who knows.

they're at Utd because they want to be, obviously, but it's surely not the end of the world if they would have preferred to go elsewhere if the option had been there. Utd have them though; surely that's all that matters.

does the fact your club may not be one of your players' first choice actually matter to you?
    does it affect how you support them?
    does it make you not want them to be at the club?
    why do people care so much?

the players do not necessarily feel the same way about your club as you do. it really doesn't matter all that much IMO.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The only thing that surprised me is people thinking that top players wouldn't come to United without any CL football.

Woodward says

VM209tu.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

May aswell get it over and done with and rename this thread Man United/Liverpool ****measuring Contest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

SlickRic wrote: »

I'd say yes to both of these but as you say who cares? United fans won't care that two of the world best players might have went somewhere else, fact is they didn't and they now play for them.

RasTa wrote: »
    The only thing that surprised me is people thinking that top players wouldn't come to United without any CL football.

Woodward says

VM209tu.jpg
    Megacringe. Who actually takes the time to make these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

There have been plenty of high profile moves by players to teams they supported all their lives which haven't worked out.

Sometimes it helps if players don't have the emotional attachment, especially at the beginning. Keep the sentimentality for playing with their country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

SlickRic wrote: »
    this stems from some of the nonsense going on over the last few days over United's purchases in the transfer window, and seems to have kind of continued through the internationals last night, especially after di Maria's masterclass.

did Falcao go to Utd because nobody else would have him?
    did di Maria do the same?
    were Utd the only ones willing to pay the fees and wages?

i made my feelings quite clear on this in the Utd thread.

basically...who the fúck cares?

Suarez and his people, by most accounts I've seen on it, made it clear when he signed that if Barca or Real came calling, he'd be gone. we weren't necessarily his first choice when he joined. do I care? no.

do i think Sturridge or Sterling will stay if a mega-club comes in for either of them? put it this way, i don't expect them to stay out of love or loyalty. i'd expect them to stay if they thought we could match their ambition.

this is a job. players have every right to go where they want to for whatever reason they want. be it, loving the job, be it money, be it whatever.

they're at Utd because they want to be, obviously,
    but it's surely not the end of the world if they would have preferred to go elsewhere if the option had been there. Utd have them though; surely that's all that matters.

does the fact your club may not be one of your players' first choice actually matter to you?
    does it affect how you support them?
    does it make you not want them to be at the club?
    why do people care so much?

the players do not necessarily feel the same way about your club as you do. it really doesn't matter all that much IMO.

Well obviously in the sense that they both needed a club, but not in any other way, not by any other measure.
    Di Maria was unceremoniously booted out of Real Madrid for who? Hernandez in the end. Falcao had to be got off the Monaco books, Real passed on him for whatever reason, City didn't come for him, he turned down Arsenal (apparently) and Liverpool. Chelsea, Barca, PSG and Bayern didn't want him so by a process of Utd being willing and elimination of all the previous named clubs he ends up at old Trafford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

CSF wrote: »
    Megacringe. Who actually takes the time to make these things?

Do you ever not complain? You also quoted the photo you dislike..

Would Falcao have gone to Real after playing for Atletico? Maybe...

Getting wound up by a wind-up meme is Super-dooper-mega-cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Fans who think employees of the club they support should feel the same way about the club as they do are imbeciles tbh.

"Oh he asked for a transfer, so fúck him".

Yeah, that works so well for yourself doesn't it? You'd stick with a company paying good money if another company offered to double that money, wouldn't you? You wouldn't go to your boss and tell him the other company are offering you better money for the same job, and see what he's going to do about it.

Of course you would, and to expect professional footballers not to do the same is stupid. Sure, the amounts of money are stupid, but so what? "He should be happy to play for this great club, and earn less than he would earn at those no-marks down the road" - well guess what, that clubs fans don't think they are no-marks, in fact, in their eyes, your club is a no-mark club.

The player certainly doesn't care, and anyone who thinks they do is absolutely fooling themselves.

Real, true loyalty, would be playing for the club you stood in the terraces at when you were you younger for nothing more than a decent living wage.

How many players do that?

How many fans of successful clubs have fooled themselves into believing in a player's loyalty when it's obvious as hell that if that club wasn't winning things and paying good wages that that player would have high-tailed it years ago.

Rooney is a prime example here - he owes United nothing, he's a scouser for jaysis sake, listening to songs about hating scousers from the fans, week-in, week-out. Those same fans then expect some kind of loyalty to them from him? You couldn't make it up.

He's an Everton fan from Liverpool, who happens to have the talent to make a club the size of United to pay him huge wages, and raise those wages twice when Rooney told them he wanted to go to another club for more money. Whether or not you agree that his talent warrants that is irrelevent, the club do, and that's all that matters. But he owes nobody anything, he's done his job, and he's contributed to success of the club.

But he owes nobody anything, he's done his job, and he's contributed to success of the club.

I agreed with everything you said up to this point here.

If the above were true he could do no wrong in the eyes of the fans.

Look at Suarez; racial abuse, lies, embarrassing the club, biting people and still LFC fans defended him. They would have turned on him if he wasn't playing well.

Ronaldo fücked off to Real Madrid and the fans still love him because he was too good to find fault with.

Rooney's not that good and that's why his faults aren't tolerated by the fans.

Your criticism of the fans attitude is a bit like shouting at the sea, much as taking issue with the support of Suarez used to be.:p

• Advertisement

You'll find that plenty have changed their opinion on this over the past 3-4 years. Football fans are incredibly fickle anyway tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Falcao and Di Maria love United and are getting Fred the Red tattoos when they get back from the international break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

As a Chelsea fan, I hate clubs who try to buy the league.
    Where's the history in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Nobody should care and I am sure nobody does over the age of about 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lets get one thing straight, 95% of footballers think about the money first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I honestly dont care which it is as long as the player performs the same way in both cases. If its passion and love for the club its sweeter because you feel something slightly different for the player but mostly people dont care.

For me the issue comes in when people throw around the buying the league line when almost every club with the ability to spend are spending. I have found that these two arguments often end up being the same.

Fans are fickle and the end result will always be the same if they're great its tolerated if they're not it wont be. Gerrard transfer request and Rooney request being the main ones i can think of from the top of my head. Fans were very forgiving because they were great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

NIMAN wrote: »
    Lets get one thing straight, 95% of footballers think about the money first.

If Falcao/Suarez/Costa/Rooney/Sir Stanley Matthews broke their legs in the morning, and were never able to pay football again, would their team's supporters have a whip round?

Would their team's supporters pay their heroes' gas bills for them, 30 years from now? No. They stop playing, the world stops caring.

A footballer's career is very, very short. And it can end in an instant. If they didn't think primarily about the money, I'd be worried about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Duck Soup wrote: »
    If Falcao/Suarez/Costa/Rooney/Sir Stanley Matthews broke their legs in the morning, and were never able to pay football again, would their team's supporters have a whip round?

Would their team's supporters pay their heroes' gas bills for them, 30 years from now? No. They stop playing, the world stops caring.

A footballer's career is very, very short. And it can end in an instant. If they didn't think primarily about the money, I'd be worried about them.

Dont come in here with sense and a bigger picture.

Off to the politics thread with you

Great point though given the lack of education in a lot of cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

Zico wrote: »
    I agreed with everything you said up to this point here.

If the above were true he could do no wrong in the eyes of the fans.

Look at Suarez; racial abuse, lies, embarrassing the club, biting people and still LFC fans defended him. They would have turned on him if he wasn't playing well.

Ronaldo fücked off to Real Madrid and the fans still love him because he was too good to find fault with.

Rooney's not that good and that's why his faults aren't tolerated by the fans.

Your criticism of the fans attitude is a bit like shouting at the sea, much as taking issue with the support of Suarez used to be.:p

Incorrect. As stated above Rooney twice talked/strongly hinted at leaving the club in an effort to get higher wages yet the fans more than tolerate him, they adore him because he is such an important player.

Soccer is a business, an entertainment business. Clubs are employers, players are employees. It's different to lot of business' in that it involves crazy amounts of money, but that's (popular) entertainment for you.

What's sad is the fans of these clubs getting all emotional about their team and team's players when the players are just workers who have no interest in the fans. Soccer is a very enjoyable sport to watch and the EPL is great but I'll never be able to relate to people who get upset when "their" team loses or ecstatic when "their" team wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Why does he respect Ajax in the caption?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I do wish footballers were more honest on the fact that they just want to get paid more, just to change the culture around football and money. In American sports you would see players that would have no bones about saying they want a bigger contract or are leaving a team for more money.

Money seems to be a dirty word in football. A lot of football fans tend to cry about seeing top players getting big bucks. The fact that players try to sideswipe the fact they are moving for cash, it gives the fans a weapon to abuse them over. And as we all know it doesn't take much for football fans to abuse people.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with changing clubs for more money. I don't know why they try to hide it.

GBXI wrote: »
    Incorrect. As stated above Rooney twice talked/strongly hinted at leaving the club in an effort to get higher wages yet the fans more than tolerate him, they adore him because he is such an important player.

:D

You must think Utd fans were throwing rocks at him when he first arrived if you believe recent opinion of him has improved in some way.:rolleyes:

I do sometimes not complain, but I do enjoy complaining.

If tweets are to be believed, Falcao would definitely have gone to play for Real after Atletico.

As for fans, and their unreasonable expectations. I don't think its an either/or thing, players should love the money, but the most popular ones long-term are going to be ones who also love the club. They're not mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

Zico wrote: »
    :D

You must think Utd fans were throwing rocks at him when he first arrived if you believe recent opinion of him has improved in some way.:rolleyes:

The point is that fans don't give a shít long term whether a player is there for the money or not, as long as he plays well. Rooney plays well, the fans are happy.

GBXI wrote: »
    The point is that fans don't give a shít long term whether a player is there for the money or not, as long as he plays well. Rooney plays well, the fans are happy.

That's probably it in a nutshell.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That's probably it in a nutshell.
    I don't think its true. Who do you like better, Flanagan or Torres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Torres has better hair.

Flanno looks like some mad bloke who sleeps outside Anfield, so they let him play every now and again out of sympathy. The bloody head on him.

The phrase dragged through a bush was actually invented for him.

Like?

Flanagan plays for Liverpool so obviously he's the only one that matters to me. Torres isn't at the club anymore so doesn't really matter.

• Advertisement

Like?

Flanagan plays for Liverpool so obviously he's the only one that matters to me. Torres isn't at the club anymore so doesn't really matter.
    Ok fair enough, I'll go with someone who is no longer there. Carragher. Probably never reached the levels that Torres did in his time at Liverpool. Bet you like him more though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I think you're confusing rarnes with Mr Alan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Knex. wrote: »
    Torres has better hair.

Flanno looks like some mad bloke who sleeps outside Anfield, so they let him play every now and again out of sympathy. The bloody head on him.

The phrase dragged through a bush was actually invented for him.
    When Lee Nelson tried to get on the England plane for the World Cup, the main thing I noticed was Flanagan's face. The word gormless was invented specifically for this.

165167.jpg

Ok fair enough, I'll go with someone who is no longer there. Carragher. Probably never reached the levels that Torres did in his time at Liverpool. Bet you like him more though.

Istanbul 2005, don't think Torres has any performance in a Liverpool shirt as important as Carraghers that night.

As a fan, you're bound to feel more affiliated toward a local lad who played all his career with the club, at a decent to high level, than toward a foreign player who played for a couple of years and joined one of our main rivals of that decade.

Still have a lot of respect for both, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Why not compare two players who are in some way similar instead of taking someone who came through the ranks at a club, stayed there for his whole career and trying to compare him with someone who was bought and later sold for a healthy profit a few seasons later?

Istanbul 2005, don't think Torres has any performance in a Liverpool shirt as important as Carraghers that night.

As a fan, you're bound to feel more affiliated toward a local lad who played all his career with the club, at a decent to high level, than toward a foreign player who played for a couple of years and joined one of our main rivals of that decade.

Still have a lot of respect for both, though.
    I don't think local comes into it when you're not local. I'd assume your natural inclination would be towards an Irish lad playing for Liverpool I'm sure Liverpool fans don't feel the same way about McManaman, it is to do with the fact that he loved the club so much that he played his whole career there even when there were times when there may have been more appealing options out there.

I'm sure he was paid well for the privilege, but this comes back to my point, the 2 aren't mutually exclusive.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Why not compare two players who are in some way similar instead of taking someone who came through the ranks at a club, stayed there for his whole career and trying to compare him with someone who was bought and later sold for a healthy profit a few seasons later?
    Because the fact that he stayed there for his whole career is pretty much the point. He didn't do that because he couldn't do better, he did it because he loved the club.

I don't think local comes into it when you're not local. I'd assume your natural inclination would be towards an Irish lad playing for Liverpool

Nope. A local Liverpool lad, coming through the ranks, means more.

An Irish lad would be no different to any British player playing, in my eyes, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

As a man utd fan, I'd like to say that it used to matter, but now that we do it, it doesn't.

Nope. A local Liverpool lad, coming through the ranks, means more.

An Irish lad would be no different to any British player playing, in my eyes, tbh.
    But why?

Carragher played his whole career with Liverpool. Obviously he's gonna be looked back on more fondly as a player. Had a big hand in helping the club win silverware too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Once the player that pulls on the United (in my case) jersey in each game tries his best, then I couldn't give a fiddlers fcuk how loyal or disloyal he may be and anyone that thinks it matters is a mongo.

This whole nonsense argument of "he only signed for money" is a split between jealousy and wumming.

Carragher played his whole career with Liverpool. Obviously he's gonna be looked back on more fondly as a player. Had a big hand in helping the club win silverware too.
    But that is pretty much my point. Loyalty is cared about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

This whole nonsense argument of "he only signed for money" is a split between jealousy and wumming.

it's also truth.

but i don't get why some people care that it might be true.

for instance, me saying "Rooney stayed at Utd for money" or "Falcao moved because Utd were willing to pay him what he wanted" shouldn't annoy people as much as it seems to.

fans shouldn't care that those might be true statements.

loyalty is great, but I'm not going to dislike someone if they come to my club for the money, if they perform.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

At least it shows us United fans how good these signings are when they see threads like this and Liverpool fans sticking the knife in. A lot of fear around now isnt there? :D

Peist2007 wrote: »
    At least it shows us United fans how good these signings are when they see threads like this and Liverpool fans sticking the knife in. A lot of fear around now isnt there? :D

Not everything revolves around Liverpool/Utd. CSF has probably the most posts in the thread and supports neither.

Not everything revolves around Liverpool/Utd. CSF has probably the most posts in the thread and supports neither.
    Anything to avoid actually working man!!

Peist2007 wrote: »

Talk about seeing what you want see.

Is the OP even a Liverpool supporter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Ah i expected the wagons to circle. Enjoy Rickie Lambert lads. He is a decent player after all ;)

I think Andy Carroll joined Liverpool for the money btw

May aswell get it over and done with and rename this thread Man United/Liverpool ****measuring Contest
    Was I wrong?

• Advertisement
Advertisement