Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtravision Staff help???

Options
  • 04-09-2014 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

So I've been working here for the guts of 3 months now
    22 hours a week since I started now all of a sudden I'm down to 10 hours a week and I get payed minimum wage, £50 isn't gonna keep me going

My manager takes 40 hour weeks along with the assistant manager leaving me and my other co worker with between 7 and 10 hours each...

Someone tell me if this is allowed at all? Seems pretty unfair that they can take half my hours off of me like that

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What are the minimum hours in your contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

You might be able to sign, go down to your local SW office and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

I'd guess the manager and assistant manager are either salaried or have been there longer than you have.

What does your contract say? If it's flexible hours, there's not a lot you can do. If it says 22 hours, well hate to break it to you but you're clearly not needed by Xtra vision for 22 hours a week (given the fact you and your co-worker don't get 22 hours between you) so if you speak up there's a chance you'll find yourself redundant.

It sounds like a summer job by the way, the fact you started 3 months ago and now your hours have been cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bojack

All I'm saying is are managers allowed to take all hours for themselves, I worked in lots of shops before and always got equal hours but here the managers just give themselves more hours and get more money

Somehow I doubt it's exactly fair or allowed by head office

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes! So long as they meet their KPIs. Anyway, it's possible they're salaried so get the same money no matter how many hours they work.

• Advertisement

Terrible how they can make £300+ a week and I'm sitting on £50 a week..

Bojack wrote: »

Terrible my manager earns twice what I do. Life's so unfair :rolleyes:

tenifan wrote: »

I wish area managers decided hours rather than managers it would be so much more fair :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I wish area managers decided hours rather than managers it would be so much more fair :(

How many hours does your contract specify?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well not being smart but there is a reason why they're managers and you're not and that is starting to come across in your posts. Instead of complaining about not getting the hours you should be asking why you're not getting them and wondering what you can do to fix that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

6 times what he earns actually

Snake wrote: »

True, it's a joke that they can do that

For over 4 times the hours!

The manager works full-time. The op works part-time & in what appears to be seasonal work.. and the season's over.

No offence op, it's not a real job, at least not one that would allow you to support yourself financially. Keep applying for jobs & see if you're entitled to social welfare (income supplement, jobseekers assistance, medical card) in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

For over 4 times the hours!

The manager works full-time. The op works part-time & in what appears to be seasonal work.. and the season's over.

No offence op, it's not a real job, at least not one that would allow you to support yourself financially. Keep applying for jobs & see if you're entitled to social welfare (income supplement, jobseekers assistance, medical card) in the meantime.

I was just correcting the poster who said it's twice what he earns. In fairness 50 quid is a pathetic amount. I'd make more than that with a coffee cup and raggy clothes on heartpenny bridge

I was just correcting the poster who said it's twice what he earns. In fairness 50 quid is a pathetic amount. I'd make more than that with a coffee cup and raggy clothes on heartpenny bridge

It is a pathetic amount but if you're a student it's nice pocket money.

Advertisement