Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bees

• 04-09-2014 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I put in Bavoral strips in my brood box 2 weeks ago, I would like to spray or drench the brood with hive alive & I am not sure if this would be advisable with the bavoral in place.
    I am also feeding them sugar syrup. so any tips or hints will be most welcome.

Joe Brennan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

I think you can feed it through the syrup, don't see why there would be any problems spraying frames while bayvarol is in

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Joe Brennan

conor t wrote: »
    I think you can feed it through the syrup, don't see why there would be any problems spraying frames while bayvarol is in
    Thank you Conor
    I will do a spraying of syrup for three weeks as you say It can not do any harm, & again ty for your reply

Best regards
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 33 giraffegoat

Why are you still using Bayvarol? I thought the 'dogs in the street' knew that we have Phyrothoid resistant mites in Ireland. Also Hive Alive is only a supplement not a 'miticide' thats my reading of the label last time I picked up a bottle of the stuff!

I am sorry but your answer I find very poor & and not in keeping with a dedicated beekeeper & helping other newcomers to the game.

Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

You could put the hive alive into the syrup you are feeding them , the bayvarol needs to stay in for 6 weeks. In some areas the mites are resistant to the bayvarol, depends on where you are based

• Advertisement

Thank you Solargain
    Ty for your tips. I had an experienced bee keeper check my Hive over & he was more than happy with them. & I am very keen to keep them mite free, so I am glad to pick up tips along the way
    Best Regards
    Joe brennan

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Galvium Irredentum

I'm afraid it's impossible to keep the bees mite-free - tolerance and resistance are the only viable goals

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Native Honey Bee

Joe,
    Mixing Hive Alive with syrup, as suggested by Solargain, would be better than spraying them. Mixed in syrup it stops mould, spraying would be appropriate only if they were too weak to take syrup down.
    Resistance to Bayvarol has developed, but my understanding is that it disappears after a year or two and there is a narrow window during which bayvarol is again effective. As has been said, it depends very much on where you live. Check the knock down and you will have an idea of how effective it was.
    You can use the sugar shake test to establish the mite load and treatment is possible in mid winter by using oxalic acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 giraffegoat

Joe, Sorry you find my comments unhelpful. I accept I was blunt in my comments, only because the information I gave has been in the public domain for sometime now and I was at a loss to understand why anyone with the slightest interest in the subject would not already know.
    The truth often hurts, even for me.

Advertisement