Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€2500 budget for something diesel.

Options
  • 04-09-2014 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

I've always had decent sized cars, but at this stage in life, I don't. My daily routine basically involves dropping the kids to school on my way to work, collecting them and dropping them home at lunchtime, back into work for the afternoon, then home again in the evening. It's about 5 miles each way, with the school stop halfway.
    Twice a week I play ball approx. 10 miles away, and they're really the only "long" journeys I go on.
    Every other day I go to the shop or whatever, approx. 3 mile round trip.
    At the weekends, I might just drive around just for the want of going for a spin...maybe 30 miles total.

I'm probably looking at 200 miles per week, made up of mostly short journeys.

So I'm looking for something fairly small (I think!) and very economical for my daily routine. I know all about the DPF thing, which is why I'm scared of the 407s and stuff (I know they're not small!). Was looking at a few diesel super minis (Fiesta/Fusion/Yaris/Punto/A-Class!) but I don't know what's good or not. I'd naturally veer towards the Jap, but I don't know what the 1.4 D4D is like. A-Class is obviously 1.7, and tbh I've always liked them. Heard they're not great though.
    I hate paying roadtax, but I wouldn't mind going up to a 2ltr for the right car.

Basically I'm a blank canvas, and I''m hoping to be educated with someone elses worldly experience.

Nice one lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Imo for those sort of short trips and only 200 miles a week, I really cannot see a huge benefit in diesel. Diesels are only really start paying for themselves the more you drive them. Also most of the small cars you mention are designed for city driving and in petrol form are quite frugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

2004 Opel Corsa 1.0 petrol
    Should be able to get one with about 75k miles for 2.5k. At this milage, the Timing belt should already have been changed and wouldn't be due again until about 120k miles (interval is 60k miles)

The car is very economical and road tax is only about 200 quid a year.

You can get a 5 door hatchback which would be perfect for dropping kids to school and doing the shopping.

Here's an example of one for sale on adverts
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/cars-motorbikes-boats/cars/2/q_opel+corsa/

I thought those 1.0 litre Corsas had a timing chain not a belt? And €2500 would be crazy money to spend on a 10 year old Corsa, they can be bought a lot cheaper than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

bazz26 wrote: »
    Imo for those sort of short trips and only 200 miles a week, I really cannot see a huge benefit in diesel. Diesels are only really start paying for themselves the more you drive them. Also most of the small cars you mention are designed for city driving and in petrol form are quite frugal.

Yeah, I realise that about the diesel. But at 10c per litre less for fuel, and (probably) 10mpg more, it'd make things a bit easier for me week to week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Akrasia wrote: »
    2004 Opel Corsa 1.0 petrol
    Should be able to get one with about 75k miles for 2.5k. At this milage, the Timing belt should already have been changed and wouldn't be due again until about 120k miles (interval is 60k miles)

The car is very economical and road tax is only about 200 quid a year.

You can get a 5 door hatchback which would be perfect for dropping kids to school and doing the shopping.

Here's an example of one for sale on adverts
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/cars-motorbikes-boats/cars/2/q_opel+corsa/

Not to be an A-H, but never liked those Corsas. Heard bad things about those engines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Soarer wrote: »
    Yeah, I realise that about the diesel. But at 10c per litre less for fuel, and (probably) 10mpg more, it'd make things a bit easier for me week to week.

At your budget you could well wind up with a shed. Cheap diesels usually mean well used. It might be fine but they do tend to be end of life cars a lot of the time unless you are prepared to invest in them therefore wiping out any savings.

A Yaris should handle the kids and be almost as light on juice in those situations.

Soarer wrote: »

I'm afraid your not looking at the bigger picture, just like a lot of other people these days who only focusing on the big headline, small possible savings at the pump. You also need to do some maths. Small petrol cars are very frugal as they are, especially around town. Diesel engines take longer than petrol engines to warm up to optimal efficiency so you won't even save anything like 10c per litre on fuel.

Then you have to mention the cost of maintenance and repairs, diesel engines are more complex these days so if something goes wrong it can cost a fortune to fix erasing any tiny savings you make at the pump.

Imo, your usage, driving style and small budget does not warranty buying a diesel car.

Advertisement